Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Final 07/09/14. Tipp v Kilkenny

Options

Comments

The poor ould Rattler still as bould as ever. Quick off the tongue for a 90 year old :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Still so hard to call. At their best in this year's c'ship, Tipp (v Cork) have been better than KK and have, I think, the edge on scoring freely. However, with some of their defence playing in their first final, they could be vulnerable / overawed here, especially at FB. Midfield had a great day in the semi' but it was one of very few, and all the talk of Bonnar's importance can't quite disguise the fact that he's a fairly awkward, limited player. Noel McGrath and Lar also need to up the performance level and there's always the fear that Tipp don't quite believe they can beat KK these days.

OTOH, KK aren't even the team they were in '12 when they struggled for long spells. Galway, for all that they were wretchedly managed and prepared, were still able to keep on their coattails throughout on the 2 days in Tullamore. Changing a goalie on the eve of a final may be dodgy and Walter Walsh's form this year won't frighten the opposition. Given that Shefflin isn't starting, I don't know how much a 'drive-for-10' will be a factor and he is a long way off his form from previous years also. An ageing defence can be exploited for pace and Brian Hogan's deliveries v LK were poor. Colin Fennelly and Richie Hogan are in great form and Richie Power is always good enough to be dangerous. The rest of the forwards have been ho-hum though, (how match-sharp is Michael Fennelly?) and I don't buy into the (over)hype of TJ Reid's form this year - he's been quiet in a number of the bigger matches to date. KK though don't do AI nerves and won't be affected a jot by the big occasion.

So on balance, it's hard to know how it will go. However, I'm tending towards Tipp because they have (or should have) greater hunger, have a bit more momentum but can also improve more and because I'm not totally convinced about the power of KK's forward unit. Tipp +8 !!!!!

Up For The Match is absolute shíte, I just don't get the appeal. Even when Cork were involved it was a complete bore for me.

Bit of lighthearted good natured fun imo. Granted it can be cringey at times. Joe Hayes is funny though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse. Garth brooks tribute band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

kala85 wrote: »
    Any advice on where to get a good breakfast or lunch in dublin tomorrow. Will be walking up from heuston station via o connell street to Croke Park

There's a place called Madigans (I think) on Abbey Street (just beside O'Connell Street, on the LUAS line) that's lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Can anybody recommend a place to watch it near the University of Limerick? Is the Stables club a good bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Walter Walsh is an interesting one. Where he's positioned and how he does will be pivotal in my view. Really hasn't impressed me in the games I've seen him. Unsettled Galway in the replay in 2012 but since then doesn't look up to this level. Kilkenny will have seen that Johnny Glynn gave Tipp plenty of problems but that was with Padraic Maher at full back. Will be interesting to see the match ups when the ball is thrown in. Not surprised to see Kilkenny dropping Mark Kelly who was a passenger for them for most of this year.

Just have a feeling the Tipp full backline will be exposed tomorrow. They've gone on a good run in the qualifiers but the games have fallen right for them in fairness and this will be a different intensity to anything they've played so far.

I expect an early Kilkenny blitz to open up a significant lead. I've been waiting for the Kilkenny backline to be exposed for legs all year but they have continued to prove me wrong so probably will tomorrow as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Can anybody recommend a place to watch it near the University of Limerick? Is the Stables club a good bet?

Should be a good atmosphere in the stables all right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

MfMan wrote: »
    Still so hard to call. At their best in this year's c'ship, Tipp (v Cork) have been better than KK and have, I think, the edge on scoring freely. However, with some of their defence playing in their first final, they could be vulnerable / overawed here, especially at FB. Midfield had a great day in the semi' but it was one of very few, and all the talk of Bonnar's importance can't quite disguise the fact that he's a fairly awkward, limited player. Noel McGrath and Lar also need to up the performance level and there's always the fear that Tipp don't quite believe they can beat KK these days.

OTOH, KK aren't even the team they were in '12 when they struggled for long spells. Galway, for all that they were wretchedly managed and prepared, were still able to keep on their coattails throughout on the 2 days in Tullamore. Changing a goalie on the eve of a final may be dodgy and Walter Walsh's form this year won't frighten the opposition. Given that Shefflin isn't starting, I don't know how much a 'drive-for-10' will be a factor and he is a long way off his form from previous years also. An ageing defence can be exploited for pace and Brian Hogan's deliveries v LK were poor. Colin Fennelly and Richie Hogan are in great form and Richie Power is always good enough to be dangerous. The rest of the forwards have been ho-hum though, (how match-sharp is Michael Fennelly?) and I don't buy into the (over)hype of TJ Reid's form this year - he's been quiet in a number of the bigger matches to date. KK though don't do AI nerves and won't be affected a jot by the big occasion.

So on balance, it's hard to know how it will go. However, I'm tending towards Tipp because they have (or should have) greater hunger, have a bit more momentum but can also improve more and because I'm not totally convinced about the power of KK's forward unit. Tipp +8 !!!!!

for that to happen the ref will have to help out Tipp by sending off 3 Kilkenny players in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sangwedges are ready, just loading up the horse now.

This could be our year lads, this will be our year, mon tipp!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,280 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

for that to happen the ref will have to help out Tipp by sending off 3 Kilkenny players in the first half.

Well I wouldn't go that far at all, but saying its hard to call then pick a winner at +8 isn't something that I'd call hard to call. KK are never/rarely well beaten though, so if Tipp do it, it'll be very close.

Mushy wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't go that far at all, but saying its hard to call then pick a winner at +8 isn't something that I'd call hard to call. KK are never/rarely well beaten though, so if Tipp do it, it'll be very close.

Well we won by 8 points in 2010!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,280 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well we won by 8 points in 2010!

I know, and I hope it happens again, but predicting that gap as close to call is a bit far-fetched IMO. Not having a go if that's how it came across.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Mushy wrote: »
    I know, and I hope it happens again, but predicting that gap as close to call is a bit far-fetched IMO. Not having a go if that's how it came across.

It's a close game to call as both teams have been good this year and both have had their lean patches. However, it often happens that a team runs away with the game in the closing minutes if they're ahead, as the other team tries to chase down a deficit.

Friend of mine is flying in for the game, anyone know a place to leave a bag?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Nightingale

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind me posting on your thread - but just wanted to let you all know that there is a crash on the M7 inbound just after the Carlow/ Kilkenny slip with traffic back now to the Newbridge/ Curragh off ramp.

Just thought ye would like to know in case anyone is going to be leaving soon.

To avoid it come off at the Newbridge/ Curragh turn off and go all the way through Newbridge to the old Naas Road and get back on the M7 then at Newhall/Naas.

It may clear soon but it looked like it just happened when I drove by on the other carriaigeway about ten minutes ago.

Nightingale

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I'm going for a draw.

Both sides are well matched, should be a decent game.

Don't think it'll be really high scoring (under 50 points).

Tipp to be leading but KK to score late on to get a draw, with the strong bench.

(If I had to pick a winner i'd side with Tipp by a point)

Best of luck to both sides, and anyone going to the match, enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Friend of mine is flying in for the game, anyone know a place to leave a bag?

lockers in the airport and busáras

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

TJ Ryan stood a little bit too close to the Gillette blade this morning by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Disappointed by the minor result, but hoping for a cracking game in the senior.

It's almost impossible to call, I think. Going on instinct, I'd say Kilkenny... but despite digging deep to beat Limerick, they are definitely not the team they were. That would obviously be hard, since they were unbelievably good... they are still a good team.

Tipp shocked me by hammering Cork... Cork were poor on the day, but Tipp really stepped it up. I can't see Kilkenny being as naive, but where Limerick didn't get goals in the semi-final, Tipp definitely can.

I think the work rate of the Kilkenny forwards will play a big part in deciding it, they're not going to let Tipp deliver good quality ball. The Tipp forwards have to match that... no one is worried about Bonner Maher, but Bubbles, Noel McGrath, Callanan, Corbett... they have to run themselves into the ground, hassle and harry the Kilkenny backs, to stop them feeding the KK forwards and create scores for themselves. It's something that Limerick did quite well, admittedly in poor conditions.

I can see James Woodlock having a big game, and Richie Hogan will have to be contained to some extent.

I see KK edging it, they do have a good bench to turn to as well.

• Advertisement

Its gonna take me the whole day get used to this being on RTÉ 1 every time I flick back from channel hopping during the ads. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

C'MON TIPP

Ah, my nerves are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That cup wasn't presented in 1921 ger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

when did the players start this picking hand **** like the soccer lads

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ch20

Did any see dogtrust printed on the back of the Tipperary Jerseys.

First GAA game I've seen all year without a minutes slience for a recently departed peoson.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,685 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'm glad they didn't have a singer for the Anthem, much better with just the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

aboy hawkeye

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Cracking start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Conor Fogarty is wearing different shorts than his team mates.. Why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement