Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Changes FPL 14/15 **Mod warning 1st post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

zarquon wrote: »
    Is he a mate of yours? Curious that you happen to know his rankings

You must be new to this place;)

Most of "us" are in 1 or more leagues and the rankings are no secret at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

wonski wrote: »
    You must be new to this place;)

Most of "us" are in 1 or more leagues and the rankings are no secret at all.

Well aware of that but Pipjam is a newbie around here and I'm not aware of his participation in any of the mini leagues and thus I have no idea of his record and therefore I am curious how he knows the ranking

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Well aware of that but Pipjam is a newbie around here and I'm not aware of his participation in any of the mini leagues and thus I have no idea of his record and therefore I am curious how he knows the ranking

Not everyone that reads this forums posts, he could have been viewing it for over a year. I'm fairly sure I've seen Iused2likebusts post up his finishing positions recently enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

He might not be such a newbie after all ;)

Just because someone is "new" to the forum doesn't mean his opinion is less valid. And just because some of us didn't like your opinion doesn't make it less valid either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Can't we all be friends?

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    He might not be such a newbie after all ;)

Just because someone is "new" to the forum doesn't mean his opinion is less valid. And just because some of us didn't like your opinion doesn't make it less valid either.

I agree. I actually think pipjam has some better opinions than some of the more seasoned posters around here

Quantity of posts does not always equal quality. In fact based on what i saw last year here the top players barely posted at all and were probably lurking more often than not

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

In fact based on what i saw last year here the top players barely posted at all and were probably lurking more often than not

They're stealing all our good ideas!

Welbeck went up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭Pipjam

Is he a mate of yours? Curious that you happen to know his ranking

I agree he is a good player as are several others on here. Even good players disagree on strategy from time to time just like in the real managerial world. The key is to take on board advice from more than one source on this forum, weight it all up and decide what actions to take based on balanced consideration.

It's a dangerous tactic though to assume that because someone has a previously good ranking that they are in fallible

The different H2H leagues make it very easy to find teams. On the first page of the FSA Premier League the usernames and team names are given. Find one team in the Boards FSA League and you have access to them all.

I'm not ashamed to say I have bookmarked the teams of a few of the top players on here on my iPhone that I can easily access them.

Re taking on advice from more than one source, I totally agree but you were stating that we would see whose long term opinion is vindicated come the end of the season.

My point is that there is already historic data there in relation to this.

No-one is infallible but a player with results like those above isn't just being lucky every year. Those are consistent results.
    Quantity of posts does not always equal quality. In fact based on what i saw last year here the top players barely posted at all and were probably lurking more often than not

I'd be interested in who these top players are that barely post? Going through the list of Premier League names, most would be regular posters and these are the top players on here - Iused2likebusts, Lemlin, RoryC, CSF, FHFC, Swiper the Fox, iroced, Donal, Dearg81, Gillespie Road etc. There are also others like KevIRL, Mr Incognito and FutureGuy who had a poor season by their own high standards to not make the PL but whose opinions I would keep an eye out for (apologies to any I left out but these are off the top of my head).

I'm aware Mr Guappa was top according to the Hall of Fame thread and I'd rarely see posts from him but most of the others post here. He does post I would add however because I remember keeping an eye out for his team pre season and seeing it.

I also think you're being downright rude with your remarks stating the "top players barely posted". A number of the above who are regular posters I would class as the "top players" and their consistent yearly rankings show that.

You didn't even say "some of" the "top players" don't post regularly. You said the "top players barely posted at all" so you are insulting all of the regular posters on this forum. Not a move that is going to endear you to anyone - a task that you are already struggling to do.

1k, 5k and 11k would certainly make the poster above a "top player" for me. Others have similarly consistent finishes. Whereas I do believe you were recently asked for your own rankings but refused to post them because you'd knocked 5k places off your best ranking!

My yearly finishes FYI:

2008/09 1913 83639
    2009/10 2124 167710
    2010/11 2066 26055
    2011/12 2100 41586
    2012/13 2303 1067
    2013/14 2290 94510

Last season was disappointing.

• Advertisement

Pipjam wrote: »

I also think you're being downright rude with your remarks stating the "top players barely posted". A number of the above who are regular posters I would class as the "top players" and their consistent yearly rankings show that.

Fair enough on on the FSA league although thats a frightful amount of effort to track peoples teams unless you see them as direct competitors. I would only ever keeps tabs on my main league competitors. Keeping tabs on others who i am not competing with is slightly bunny boiler-esque imo.

It also shows me why you don't know my rankings either as im not in the fsa league due to 15 league cap and therefore you have no way of monitoring my team on an ongoing basis.

It seems you choose to be disrespectful to those whose ranks you cannot see and brown nose those who you can see and monitor closely

Oh and seriously get over yourself with stating i am being rude to the top posters with my statement. I based it on last year alone which was my first year here. It is no slight on the excellent players who post regularly but i did note at the end of season that unfamiliar names seemed to pop out of nowhere, in fact i could barely find any of the top 10 in the fsa league in the forum apart from 3 who posted some, but still less frequently than others

But don't let facts get in the way of your post though. You have constantly twisted my words and put words in my mouth since you joined here and frankly im tired of it. Go ahead with your copy and paste strategy of other legacy good teams, i tend to trust my original ability. I was ranking well consistently long before i found this place although i enjoy the ensight that some posters have and the excellent effort that others make with mini competitions

It seems i am being consistently trolled by you and more the fool me for getting sucked in so welcome to the ignore list!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Here is something mad... A price change post in the Price change thread..

Wellbeck rise to 7.0 last night

dahat wrote: »
    Here is something mad... A price change post in the Price change thread..

Wellbeck rise to 7.0 last night

He could possibly rise another 0.1 this week looking at his stats in ala jovetic a few weeks ago although jovetic seems to have been an anomaly. Other players since have higher transfers with slower price movement so it would seem that the thresholds were tweaked during the course of the season. I hope so otherwise welbeck will be a big climber over the next weeks. He is certainly on my radar but i want to monitor him for a couple of weeks in an Arsenal shirt before jumping the gun.

Fair enough on on the FSA league although thats a frightful amount of effort to track peoples teams unless you see them as direct competitors. I would only ever keeps tabs on my main league competitors. Keeping tabs on others who i am not competing with is slightly bunny boiler-esque imo.

It also shows me why you don't know my rankings either as im not in the fsa league due to 15 league cap and therefore you have no way of monitoring my team on an ongoing basis.

It seems you choose to be disrespectful to those whose ranks you cannot see and brown nose those who you can see and monitor closely

Oh and seriously get over yourself with stating i am being rude to the top posters with my statement. I based it on last year alone which was my first year here. It is no slight on the excellent players who post regularly but i did note at the end of season that unfamiliar names seemed to pop out of nowhere, in fact i could barely find any of the top 10 in the fsa league in the forum apart from 3 who posted some, but still less frequently than others

But don't let facts get in the way of your post though. You have constantly twisted my words and put words in my mouth since you joined here and frankly im tired of it. Go ahead with your copy and paste strategy of other legacy good teams, i tend to trust my original ability. I was ranking well consistently long before i found this place although i enjoy the ensight that some posters have and the excellent effort that others make with mini competitions

Welcome to the ignore list!

Hold on a minute. Where have I disrespected anyone?

It's also quite easy to bookmark a URL on the iPhone so I wouldn't see how it is a huge amount of effort.

I can see your rankings. You are in the Boards Premier League so it's easy to see. You have 3 15k finishes in the last five years.

Fair enough if you state you were ranking well consistently but I can't see why you tried to lie about your best ranking and knock 5k off it then. Why was this if you are happy with your finishes?

I also asked you to name some of these "top players who post rarely" but you seem unable to answer direct questions. You question how I can tell who posters are yet you were able to tell who was who in the FSA League last year before the H2H threads made it alot easier.

He could possibly rise another 0.1 this week looking at his stats in ala jovetic a few weeks ago although jovetic seems to have been an anomaly. Other players since have higher transfers with slower price movement so it would seem that the thresholds were tweaked during the course of the season. I hope so otherwise welbeck will be a big climber over the next weeks. He is certainly on my radar but i want to monitor him for a couple of weeks in an Arsenal shirt before jumping the gun.

At 7.0 he has to be under serious consideration for most managers, he fits the Big 2 from 3 plus 1 Budget striker strategy perfect as he will be first choice till January.

Hopefully he does rise over the next few GW to get some much needed money in.

At 7.0 he has to be under serious consideration for most managers, he fits the Big 2 from 3 plus 1 Budget striker strategy perfect as he will be first choice till January.

Yeah considering he will be first choice for the next 3 months he is now about 1m undervalued imo. Good value as a third striker if he can hit the ground running. I am just hoping he fires a blank this week to keep his value down for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I agree. I actually think pipjam has some better opinions than some of the more seasoned posters around here
    You have constantly twisted my words and put words in my mouth since you joined here and frankly im tired of it.

Welcome to the ignore list!

a1549b8621e83854cda79881ca75a953627840db5ab3cf8c2bd2caa29bac5e7c.jpg

If Adebayor hits some form, it may be possible to go with him, Wellbeck and Aguero/Costa (depending on injury) and invest cash in a premium defence and midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dónal wrote: »
    Welbeck went up!

Ah feck, these tracker sites dont have a clue. This is really benifiting the casuals this season so far.

If Adebayor hits some form, it may be possible to go with him, Wellbeck and Aguero/Costa (depending on injury) and invest cash in a premium defence and midfield.

Now that's a different front 3, massive budget savings as well.

• Advertisement

Now that's a different front 3, massive budget savings as well.

I currently have Sturridge, Costa and Rooney. Sturridge is for the chop after this weekend due to his injury and then Rooney so I'm watching a few players.

I currently have Sturridge, Costa and Rooney. Sturridge is for the chop after this weekend due to his injury and then Rooney so I'm watching a few players.

Alot of choice around the frontmen this season, guess we are all waiting to see who hits proper form first. Costa looks essential as of now but his gametime may be reduced now that Remy has signed if only to protect his dodgy hammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

annoyed that Wellbeck went up, more or less settled on a plan involving bringing him in this week. Crossed my mind he could go up last night but didn't think he would.

My resale value currently at 100.1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,011 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That was fairly juicy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

My strategy for the next 4 weeks. Investing in a premium defence of JT, Ivanovic, Evans, Blackett, Clyne with Mignolet in goals

• Registered Users Posts: 33,011 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Chesty08 wrote: »
    My strategy for the next 4 weeks. Investing in a premium defence of JT, Ivanovic, Evans, Blackett, Clyne with Mignolet in goals
    2 of those teams don't perform very well defensively though, and that is 3 of your 6 players. What is premium about that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It seems i am being consistently trolled by you and more the fool me for getting sucked in so welcome to the ignore list!

Ok this was coming...warning for saying that another is trolling you, that he has bunny boiler tendancies and the comment about the ignore list.

To be honest, you seem to have a tendancy to tailor your posts to highlight how your decisions have worked out and how others who didn't think the same way have foundered. Please be mindful that I am keeping and eye on your posts going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,144 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

logically, Welbeck was always going to go up.

He started from a low enough % of players who had him. since prices rises and drops are to do with the % a player goes up rather than purely quantity of transfers, he was always going to shoot up.

Rooney is still at 38% ownership so it's no surprise he's only gone down 0.1%.

I disagree that it's favouring casual players necessarily this year. If you're good, you can still get ahead of the curve.

using price sites does not equal a good player. It equals a smart player, in that you're using tools at your disposal, but it doesn't equal you being good.

even with price sites being flawed, the best players will still ultimately rise to the top.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I was flummuxed at people selling Mata after one game. He then went on to score 10 points in the next game. Long term though i do think that Sterling is probably the right move i just disagreed with some on the timing of the transfer and my opinion was vindicated by the results.

Likewise i was flummuxed at the rush to ship out costa for the likes of Jovetic based on complete hearsey rumour. Again i was vindicated by his subsequent score. Likewise i am somewhat flummuxed by the thinking that Rooney is not a good option against QPR. I may be wrong and if so then 2 out of 3 projections is not bad but i feel he has a decent game in him against QPR so a transfer out is at least a week or two too early imo

I simply singled out Sturridge as his form is poor and he is about 1.5 overpriced imo. Talking of 18 months form is not relevant. Yaya was a beast last season but his form over the last 12 months is still not enough to make me even consider putting him in my team as his current form is poor and he is about 2m overpriced now. Previous form means very little. Current form and value for money means everything. On current form Sterling is looking very good and should be a strong consideration for everyone.

I have also noted in your purported pattern that you conveniently chose to ignore the costa example :rolleyes: Similarly i see a pattern in your projections about who are good options and who are not good options but that is neither hear not there, we are all entitled to opinion and only the end of year ranking will show where the balance of season long opinion is vindicated.

Anyway this line of conversation is more suited to the general thread rather than price change so i will close by stating that it is disappointing that Rooney dropped in value considering he has 2 tasty fixtures coming up but for the last few weeks the masses have been proved wrong as the most transferred out player has gone on to score double digits the following week so here's hoping that Rooney has a similarly big game against QPR although i feel even a big score won't be enough to get his value back up to 10.5

Amazingly Falcao still has not had his work permit approved and a lot of people are rushing to bring him in, most probably at the expense of Rooney!

The decision to sell Mata was a easy one for a lot of people. United were absolutely dreadful and Mata was beyone hopeless. So far, he has put in three terrible performances where he score a single goal, no assists and no bonus points. But you are looking at the decision to sell Mata in a vacuum - the more important question is who people sold Mata for? The vast majority of people bought Ramsey and Sigurdsson. Ramsey scored in that same game and Sigurdsson has outscored Mata easily. And here's the thing...Sigurdsson and Ramsey have absolutely destroyed Mata in terms of every stat relating to FPL which means that they are far more likely to score higher over the long run. You are flummoxed by the decision, but is a no-brainer for most imho.

The decision to sell Costa was, again, an easy one for many. You posted...
    "Likewise i was flummuxed at the rush to ship out costa for the likes of Jovetic based on complete hearsey rumour. Again i was vindicated by his subsequent score."

Come off it mate, that's a ridiculous comment. Hearsay rumour?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/chelseas-jose-mourinho-talks-diego-costa-injury-fernando-torres-transfer-video/

Listen to the first two minutes from Mourinho's Friday press conference - There was a massive doubt over whether he would start, and even if he did, it was Everton away which was a tough fixture. Just because someone is declared fit, that does not mean they start. If you thought Chelsea would score 6 or Costa wouls score 2, then you need to become a professional gambler. But wait, you posted this about Costa in the days before the game...

"So costa is fit but hasn't trained. That is to be expected. Will play him any as i was not expecting big returns against Everton"

You were NOT vindicated by his subsequent score because you weren't expecting it in the first place! But you played him, did well and then you decide to tell people what a great decison you made? It wasn't.

And Jovetic had the form and the fixture to do very well. Again, I can understand the decision but that doesn't mean

I couldn't care less how people are faring week to week. The score at the end of the year is what's important. You have people who will blow their trumpet when they are having good weeks but will hide under a rock when they are having a bad run. Every single player will make decisions that will work and that will not work, but it's the total at the end of the year that matters.

Long season ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Markx

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Ah feck, these tracker sites dont have a clue. This is really benifiting the casuals this season so far.

I'm definitely not a casual and struck for Welbeck last night - my second transfer of the season. I've been playing FPL since the start and am amazed at the gnashing of teeth over the demise of the tracker sites. I understand where people are coming from but it doesn't upset me one bit, in fact I'm enjoying the chaos.

Advertisement