Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

kb98 wrote: »
    That's my back up if I don't get Medicine

I'm still not ruling medicine out, some people go straight into research after the degree and don't practice as doctors, which could be an option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

Consonata wrote: »
    What all does everybody want to do for college?

Most probably computer science

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭kb98

pvakelly wrote: »
    I'm still not ruling medicine out, some people go straight into research after the degree and don't practice as doctors, which could be an option :)

Im just going to put down loads of biology related courses as my like 3rd-10th choices after 2 or 3 medicine degrees as my first choices

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

The dream is Journalism with French and German :) I've always loved languages and im so interested in current affairs and absolutely adore writing, so I believe journalism is for me.

Also considering studying Applied Languages (Japanese, French, German and Spanish).

We have two years to fully decide, so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Hey! :D

Just seen this thread. Mixed feelings about fifth year. I'm actually excited because the subjects I chose are very interesting to me at a personal level, but who enjoys waking up at 8am every day for school? I dread that part.

Long time lurker on the educational forums, but for those who don't know, I'm Arnie :D

Probably something related to science. If so, genetics and psychology seem fun! Maybe biotechnology is worth a shot?

I'm aiming to go for Trinity college if I'm doing something science related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Consonata

Hey! :D

Just seen this thread. Mixed feelings about fifth year. I'm actually excited because the subjects I chose are very interesting to me at a personal level, but who enjoys waking up at 8am every day for school? I dread that part.

Long time lurker on the educational forums, but for those who don't know, I'm Arnie :D

Welcome :P

I've been a long time lurker too. Ive had a few accounts but kept forgetting the passwords :L
    Hopefully ill see you more along the way :)

Probably something related to science. If so, genetics and psychology seem fun! Maybe biotechnology is worth a shot?

I'm aiming to go for Trinity college if I'm doing something science related.

Human genetics in trinity is perfect for you :)

Human genetics in trinity is perfect for you :)

How so? I'm curious :p

How so? I'm curious :p

You want to go to trinity, mentioned gentics...im considering it myself tbh its very good only course of its type in ireland and one of the best genetics schools in the world, only 15 places though so points are like 560

You want to go to trinity, mentioned gentics...im considering it myself tbh its very good only course of its type in ireland and one of the best genetics schools in the world, only 15 places though so points are like 560

Yeah, you gotta aim very high. There's another way into it, I think you can do General Science (much less points than 560) for like two years, and then chose Genetics as your speciality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭CookieCat97

Hey guys! I'm Charlotte :) I'm was looking forward to going into 5th year but at the same time I've started to become scared after reading about all the work you guys have done over the summer and those who've had an 'Academic TY' :eek: I honestly haven't lifted a finger! Just trying to enjoy the last weeks of freedom for a while! :cool:

Hey guys! I'm Charlotte :) I'm was looking forward to going into 5th year but at the same time I've started to become scared after reading about all the work you guys have done over the summer and those who've had an 'Academic TY' :eek: I honestly haven't lifted a finger! Just trying to enjoy the last weeks of freedom for a while! :cool:

Great, someone else in the same boat as me! :)

Haha yeah same, we literally did nothing all year... :( what subjects are you doing?

Wish I had an academic TY, well, I kind of did but nothing related to Leaving Cert unfortunately.

Welcome to hell ;) I'll be by your side for the two years!

Yeah, you gotta aim very high. There's another way into it, I think you can do General Science (much less points than 560) for like two years, and then chose Genetics as your speciality.

Yeah, I will probably have general science down on my Cao, think its 505 in tcd

Wish I had an academic TY

Me too, but on the other hand, I'd be worried about burning out with having 3 years of study instead of 2.

pvakelly wrote: »
    Me too, but on the other hand, I'd be worried about burning out with having 3 years of study instead of 2.

Hard to get burned out when you're determined.

Yeah, I dont really agree with the whole "academic TY" thing. Like I think the main point of TY is to put more focus on self directed learning like projects and stuff.

If teachers were spewing tests at you left right and center during TY, in my opinion it is mainly to do with those teachers feeling insecure that they can cover the LC in 2 years, not that they are any better at teaching

Yeah, I dont really agree with the whole "academic TY" thing. Like I think the main point of TY is to put more focus on self directed learning like projects and stuff.

If teachers were spewing tests at you left right and centre during TY, in my opinion it is mainly to do with those teachers feeling insecure that they can cover the LC in 2 years, not that they are any better at teaching

A balance of both is the best in my opinion. Do some stuff relating to Leaving Cert (nothing overwhelming) and do projects and competitions as well. I brushed LC maths, that's the only academic thing I did relating to LC.

A balance of both is the best in my opinion. Do some stuff relating to Leaving Cert (nothing overwhelming) and do projects and competitions as well. I brushed LC maths, that's the only academic thing I did relating to LC.

Same, we did a bit of maths, then loads of new things like film studies and philosophy haha

• Advertisement

Same, we did a bit of maths, then loads of new things like film studies and philosophy haha

Philosophy is awesome, would do that in Trinity but it's not really a useful qualification to have.

Philosophy is awesome, would do that in Trinity but it's not really a useful qualification to have.

It's ok, I wasn't a huge fan but some are i guess. Much rather get a degree in science! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Academic TY' is completely against the rules the DES have set. Such schools could lose their funding and the extra staff that go with TY.

How are you all structuring your study for this year, are you planning on just doing homework and studying when needed, or will you be doing a daily sort of a thing?

How are you all structuring your study for this year, are you planning on just doing homework and studying when needed, or will you be doing a daily sort of a thing?

Daily

spurious wrote: »
    'Academic TY' is completely against the rules the DES have set. Such schools could lose their funding and the extra staff that go with TY.

From the Insititute of Education website:

"The 4th year academic programme helps committed students to establish a solid foundation in key subjects such as Maths and Irish before going on to tackle the fuller syllabus in 5th and 6th Year. For students who need to build their academic confidence prior to entering the Senior Cycle, the programme provides a year to reinforce the basics, developing valuable study skills and helping them to select the appropriate subjects for the Leaving Certificate."

"Subjects such as Irish, Maths and one foreign language are ‘Requirement Subjects’ for entry into most Irish 3rd level colleges. If a student starts a requirement subject in 4th year, they may wish to consider sitting the Leaving Certificate exam in it at the end of their 5th year, as they will have completed 2 years of a senior cycle at this point."

They're able to start study at 4th year, and into 5th so they can do the exam at the end of 5th year? That gives them an advantage for 6th year because they have less subjects to worry about.

http://www.instituteofeducation.ie/4th-year-secondary-school/

Why are they able to give their students a "head start"?

Once I know my stuff, I'm alright.

From the Insititute of Education website:

"The 4th year academic programme helps committed students to establish a solid foundation in key subjects such as Maths and Irish before going on to tackle the fuller syllabus in 5th and 6th Year. For students who need to build their academic confidence prior to entering the Senior Cycle, the programme provides a year to reinforce the basics, developing valuable study skills and helping them to select the appropriate subjects for the Leaving Certificate."

"Subjects such as Irish, Maths and one foreign language are ‘Requirement Subjects’ for entry into most Irish 3rd level colleges. If a student starts a requirement subject in 4th year, they may wish to consider sitting the Leaving Certificate exam in it at the end of their 5th year, as they will have completed 2 years of a senior cycle at this point."

They're able to start study at 4th year, and into 5th so they can do the exam at the end of 5th year? That gives them an advantage for 6th year because they have less subjects to worry about.

Why are they able to give their students a "head start"?

Because they are a privately funded points factory, Who sadly can't teach any skills that dont begin with "Wrote" and end in "Learning". There are more important things than getting a "head start" for the Leaving Cert. You could be doing a Musical, volunteering in your community or abroad, doing any number of projects that develop your personality and study skills. Schools like the institute can't see anything beyond the Leaving Cert.

Because they are a privately funded points factory, Who sadly can't teach any skills that dont begin with "Wrote" and end in "Learning". There are more important things than getting a "head start" for the Leaving Cert. You could be doing a Musical, volunteering in your community or abroad, doing any number of projects that develop your personality and study skills. Schools like the institute can't see anything beyond the Leaving Cert.

Add the bell curve there + limited spots for college courses, and you have yourself a very flawed educational system in Ireland.

The DEC should really do something, private schools shouldn't be allowed to do what ever they want because their students have impact on the PUBLIC sector with their results, so it's not fair. If private school students had their own competition for course places and their own 'marking scheme system' then I'd be much more fair for the people who go public schools and AREN'T ALLOWED 'ACADEMIC TY'.

:mad:

• Advertisement

Add the bell curve there + limited spots for college courses, and you have yourself a very flawed educational system in Ireland.

The DEC should really do something, private schools shouldn't be allowed to do what ever they want because their students have impact on the PUBLIC sector with their results, so it's not fair. If private school students had their own competition for course places and their own 'marking scheme system' then I'd be much more fair for the people who go public schools and AREN'T ALLOWED 'ACADEMIC TY'.

:mad:
    Yeah I know it's crazy, but a high percentage of College drop outs are private school students because they didn't have a TY which encourages self directed learning and not having answers given to you on a plate the entire time

Advertisement