Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Troxck wrote: »
    56% for a HL 5th Year test is good, what topics were on the paper? I got 41% at Christmas and then 73% in the Summer. Just try to get used to the Exam paper and layout, PM can make it difficult to answer questions but just try and pick out the core components and work from there. Just keep practicing!

Algebra, functions, DeNories Theorem (complex numbers) and this very easy question about a box and you have to find the dimensions, volume etc but the questions for that was worded so weird ....

I got all the algebra and complex numbers questions right, ended up screwing up the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

MomijiHime wrote: »
    Is anyone else doing physics? It's so so hard :'(

I love it as a subject :) but the questions are hard :(

That moment when you spend a hour on one Arithmetic Series question and use three A4 pages.... But it get it right in the end. :D

Kept making obvious mistakes, now I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Hello guys has any of ye done this coordinate geometry question before, its on page 16 text and text 4.
    Q15.
    Find the equation of the line that is parallel to the line 3x-y+4=0 and which contains the point of intersection of the lines 2x+3y=12 and 3x-4y=1.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Enhaha

Hello guys has any of ye done this coordinate geometry question before, its on page 16 text and text 4.
    Q15.
    Find the equation of the line that is parallel to the line 3x-y+4=0 and which contains the point of intersection of the lines 2x+3y=12 and 3x-4y=1.

Not 100% sure but i think that you do a simultaneous equation with 2x+3y=12 and 3x-4y=1 to find the point, then find the slope of 3x-y+4=0 (as its parallel) and then fill all values into the equation of a line formula :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Enhaha

SNOW DAY :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭iCrazzy

Anyone here who does Italian could you please tell me what i have to do here ?

iCrazzy wrote: »
    Anyone here who does Italian could you please tell me what i have to do here ?

Si! Io studio l'italiano anche al scuola.

I know for sure, it's NEL centro for one of them... But not sure about the others. Scusi.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭iCrazzy

Si! Io studio l'italiano anche al scuola.

I know for sure, it's NEL centro for one of them... But not sure about the others. Scusi.

Grazie !

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

I am really considering dropping higher level maths I got an A2 in my Christmas test and my teacher would probably kill me if I drop but its just so much work! Is trigonometry the worst or should I just stick at it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

I am really considering dropping higher level maths I got an A2 in my Christmas test and my teacher would probably kill me if I drop but its just so much work! Is trigonometry the worst or should I just stick at it?

Seriously?! Of course you should keep it up if you're getting A2s in christmas tests.. If you're getting that with effort, you can probably get a B3 with little effort, which is the equivalent of an A1 + a lot of effort in another subject.. Your teacher most likely won't let you drop and I don't blame him you'd be mad to. If there weren't bonus points available then MAYBE buuuut there is..

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

If you're getting an A2 don't drop. Everyone is weaker in some areas, some people find trig the hardest and some people find algebra the hardest. If you do mocks in your school at least wait until after those. If you're good at everything bar trig you could pass with flying colours by just acing paper 1 and the probability/stats questions on paper 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Q15.
    Slop of the parralel line is 3.. Find point of intersection of two lines, then we have a point and the slope, all we need to use y-y1=mx-mx1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Just wonder is eilean ni chuilleanain due to come up this tear for english paper 2?

Has anyone here done gaisce?? If yes may I ask you a question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Any good notes on foster by claire keegan anyone need it by tonight as i have p2 tmw :(

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭kb98

Beca I did it last year

kb98 wrote: »
    Beca I did it last year

Ok cool :) you know for the personal skill?? Are you allowed choose an instrument (guitar) but not go to lessons? Cos I definitely play more than an hour a week but I've never got lessons so yeah I'm wondering if they let you use that for the skill and who would sign for it?:/

if you do it at home like your mam or dad can sign it I think, I remember people did baking at home with their mam or grandma and they just got their mam to sign it

kb98 wrote: »
    if you do it at home like your mam or dad can sign it I think, I remember people did baking at home with their mam or grandma and they just got their mam to sign it

Hahah okay sound thanks :D

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

Half day today Thanks to the snow ;)

How are you guys finding the sraith pictures?

I'm managing to learn one off by heart in 20 odd minutes by reciting it like a mad man.

This is great and all, but my long term memory will just make it vanish in a week or so. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

How are you guys finding the sraith pictures?

I'm managing to learn one off by heart in 20 odd minutes by reciting it like a mad man.

This is great and all, but my long term memory will just make it vanish in a week or so. :/

I find it concerning that the Irish oral, which was designed to test the working knowledge of the language to counteract the problems of the written paper has been turned into a wrote learning exam too :/

Consonata wrote: »
    I find it concerning that the Irish oral, which was designed to test the working knowledge of the language to counteract the problems of the written paper has been turned into a wrote learning exam too :/

The whole exam is messed up. The government need to change it big time, don't know how they expect everyone to reach that level just by going through Primary and Secondary school.

The whole exam is messed up. The government need to change it big time, don't know how they expect everyone to reach that level just by going through Primary and Secondary school.

If they improved the way they taught it at primary level then perhaps. Its the only subject currently that has more OL students taking it than higher level, and a vast proportion of the people taking it at HL are only there because it they need it for primary teaching.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

.... has been turned into a rote learning exam too :/
    One of the central problems with second-level education in Ireland at the moment, and not just with Irish ... and it has its genesis in a tangled web in which the points race / pressure on students to achieve high points as the priority over an education / pressure to teach to the exam rather the curriculum (from parents and students) / full- and part-time grind schools which do that, and are seen as "better" because they do ... all of these and other factors contribute to a tangle which is extremely hard to unravel.
    If you were to compare the actual number of teaching hours which students get at second-level in a foreign language to achieve the average level of proficiency achieved at LC in those, with the number of teaching hours which students get throughout their schooling in Irish and the average proficiency achieved at LC, one would expect the Irish language standard at LC to be much higher in fact.

If you were to compare the actual number of teaching hours which students get at second-level in a foreign language to achieve the average level of proficiency achieved at LC in those, with the number of teaching hours which students get throughout their schooling in Irish and the average proficiency achieved at LC, one would expect the Irish language standard at LC to be much higher in fact.

I know but since teachers won't be actually seen as doing well if they try to teach actual Irish, those teaching hours are wasted away wrote learning whatever sraithpictiur, essays etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know but since teachers won't be actually seen as doing well if they try to teach actual Irish, those teaching hours are wasted away wrote learning whatever sraithpictiur, essays etc.

The exam-driven system. The horse leading the cart.
    Apart from one Maths paper, we never saw an exam paper or a marking scheme when I sat the Leaving in 1980. Didn't do us a bit of harm. It meant we had to actually know the stuff and be ready to answer any question on it.

Advertisement