Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists breaking lights!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Go to bed

Cyclist who uses the road I guess. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Was walking down Aungier Street this week. As I crossed one of the side streets I had 2 cyclists break the red light of the junction I was crossing and another cross the main road and go down a one way street.
    I nearly got hit in both directions. The 3 idiots didn't have a care in the world.

I cycle and drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I find that the cyclists that give out about motorists breaking the rules of the road are the ones that 'generally' follow the rules of the road themselves.

The cyclists who consistently break red lights etc aren't too bothered about the rules of the road and are just keen to get to their destination. Furthermore those cyclists won't be posting on boards about how many red lights etc tiny skipped that morning.

Generally speaking the people that speak out on cyclist threads on boards are both motorists and cyclists who abide by the rules of the road so the thread becomes futile. The target audience is missed completely unfortunately

Thread closed then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

kleefarr wrote: »
    Cyclist who uses the road I guess. :)

Cyclist and driver.

Anyway, fill us in with your new (pointless) revenue raising scheme. And I'm intrigued how does it reduce red light breaking?

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Cyclist and driver.

Anyway, fill us in with your new (pointless) revenue raising scheme. And I'm intrigued how does it reduce red light breaking?

Pointless? Why not apply road tax to everyone that uses the road?
    Generates a bit of extra revenue, regardless if they run red lights or not. But they should also face the same penalties for running red lights that drivers do.
    Not saying that the Garda would pick up on it much anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Pointless? Why not apply road tax to everyone that uses the road?.

Good question. Would this also include diplomatic cars, state cars, ambulances and the various other categories that are currently exempt?

Cars are currently taxed according to the CO2 they emit. So why would a bike be taxed?

I love these threads - it starts with an incident by an errant cyclist and then some genius suggests taxing cyclists as a solution. Like it works with cars? 200 killed and many others injured - I never hear anyone in here suggesting raising motor tax would lessen this carnage.
    Generates a bit of extra revenue, regardless if they run red lights or not.

Sure why not tax everyone then for using the roads - so maybe a pedestrian tax, wheelchair tax or skateboard tax.

This has been done to death on boards and established it is a waste of time and that will never happen. How would it even be administered?
    But they should also face the same penalties for running red lights that drivers do.

They do, including on the spot fines. Have a read here:

http://irishcycle.com/2013/08/11/over-2600-cyclists-end-up-in-court/

It would be far to difficult to administer, I agree.
    Dublin cyclists making the most of those on the spot fines I expect.
    I'll just have to get a Honda Clarity. No carbon. No tax. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

People just can't wait a few minutes, in general.

Some lights take an age to change (not really a defence) so they just head on.

It will always happen. It will always mildly irk me or make me laugh, depending on the day and the daringness of the cross. Other times I will sometimes morbidly wish the transgressor gets milled by a car whilst 'cleverly' proceeding when they shouldn't. That bit isn't true:)

But nothing it seems will ever be done to correct it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

People just can't wait a few minutes, in general.

Some lights take an age to change (not really a defence) so they just head on.

It will always happen. It will always mildly irk me or make me laugh, depending on the day and the daringness of the cross. Other times I will sometimes morbidly wish the transgressor gets milled by a car whilst 'cleverly' proceeding when they shouldn't. That bit isn't true:)

But nothing it seems will ever be done to correct it.

The gobsheet who sailed through the red light at the pedestrian crossing (while texting) in Stillorgan yesterday
    deserves anything he gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I say tax the shoes, you need them to drive, cycle or walk!

Seriously though, the people who moan about cyclists breaking lights, get over it and cyclists who break lights with traffic crossing your path, you are as bad as the people moaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Maybe the cyclist are colour blind, i think a cycle licence should be introduced with mandatory colour blindness testing.
    How's the idea of licencing and eye-testing working out in terms of deterring motorists from breaking traffic lights?
    Isn't this the key issue? We can pass all the extra laws we like, but unless we have extra Garda resources, it's not going to make a blind bit of difference. And every hour of Garda resources focussed on cyclists is an hour not focussed on the road users that kill 200+ people each year and maim thousands of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jkiamasnake

just to provide an update...i got a letter today from my insurance company stating that they have received a claim for personal injuries. I actually cannot believe this!! im not fully sure on how to proceed. I am shocked that the cyclist was completely at fault due to breaking the lights, but now is trying to commit fraud claiming compensation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Where did he get your details from ?

eamonnq wrote: »

I have no idea...maybe because I reported the accident to the guards and the insurance company...perhaps from there I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

RainyDay wrote: »
    How's the idea of licencing and eye-testing working out in terms of deterring motorists from breaking traffic lights?
    It's working a lot better than on the unregulated sector.
    just to provide an update...i got a letter today from my insurance company stating that they have received a claim for personal injuries. I actually cannot believe this!! im not fully sure on how to proceed. I am shocked that the cyclist was completely at fault due to breaking the lights, but now is trying to commit fraud claiming compensation
    The cyclist is not committing fraud, at least by European standards. If for example this was the Netherlands, you would automatically at fault. Just for being a motorist. That's what happens when you let cyclists anywhere near power.

Needless to say that the cycling lobby here want the same thing.

And every hour of Garda resources focussed on cyclists is an hour not focussed on the road users that kill 200+ people each year and maim thousands of others.
    Nice false dichotomy there.

BTW I suspect that as a function of the number of vehicles on the road, or driver kilometres per year, that 200 is relatively reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

WTF is it with the Lazarus characteristics of this thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,619 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

SeanW wrote: »
    BTW I suspect that as a function of the number of vehicles on the road, or driver kilometres per year, that 200 is relatively reasonable.

I would like to see you explaining that to the families of those victims who lost there lives in car/road accidents...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I would like to see you explaining that to the families of those victims who lost there lives in car/road accidents...
    Great, just after you explain how cheeseburgers are bad to the family of someone who just died of a heart attack?

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote: »
    Good question, I look forward to seeing the response.
    It's working a lot better than on the unregulated sector.
    Really, would you like to explain your source for this? Have you measured the number of speeding drivers, the number of calling/texting drivers, the number of drivers who sneak through red lights etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Thankfully the cyclist was ok too but I was in so much shock I could not think properly. The cyclist picked himself up, fixed his chain and continues on.

He said he was late for work and continued on.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    WTF is it with the Lazarus characteristics of this thread ?

The cyclist resurrected himself and discovered some injuries, and the OP's details!!

Great, just after you explain how cheeseburgers are bad to the family of someone who just died of a heart attack?

The difference being that cheeseburgers don't tend to kill people who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, or who happen to share the restaurant with a cheeseburger eater.
    Nice false dichotomy there.
    Where's the falsehood? There is a finite number of Garda hours. Every hour spent stopping cyclists (who have killed no-one else on the road for as long as anyone cares to remember) is an hour less spent on dealing with drivers who kill 200+ people each year and maim thousands of others.
    See Tenzor's point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sand wrote: »
    And on a lot of junctions you can completely ignore the pedestrian lights. The will show red for 30-40 seconds whilst traffic flow means its still entirely safe for pedestrians to cross the junction (as the cars cannot enter the junction without crashing).
    And this is why most garda ignore people who are breaking the law in that situation, and why they also do not enforce the law on many cyclists who break then law in similar fairly benign situations.

Some here want the law enforced in all situations, and think it should be obeyed at all costs, no exceptions. When you suggest a possible exemption they usually will just not respond, as it would be an admittance that they do not believe in what they actually say.

e.g. going after 5 year olds on the path in an empty suburb who are out with their parents. Or people illegally running across at a red pedestrian crossing to escape an attacker, no cars in sight whatsoever. These are of course extreme examples, but most law breaking I see done by pedestrians & cyclists is fairly benign, and are doing actions which the law did not really set out to prevent.

rowanh wrote: »
    I say tax the shoes, you need them to drive, cycle or walk!

Seriously though
    There is no joke about it, what you suggest is a logical follow on to many arguments here. Pedestrians are "mad" not to wear walking helmets, they should all have reg plates on their back etc.

Really, would you like to explain your source for this? Have you measured the number of speeding drivers, the number of calling/texting drivers, the number of drivers who sneak through red lights etc etc?
    Just going by what I see on the roads every day in Dublin City. Motorists driving on the road, stopping at red lights, respecting lane directions.

vs.

Cyclists jumping red lights so they can speed the wrong way down the street, on a footpath, over a pedestrian bridge etc.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Some here want the law enforced in all situations, and think it should be obeyed at all costs, no exceptions. When you suggest a possible exemption ...
    No, that's mostly cyclists that have that attitude in relation to motorists. I'm only reciprocating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just going by what I see on the roads every day in Dublin City. Motorists driving on the road, stopping at red lights, respecting lane directions.

Dublin City, Michigan or somewhere like that ? Because it doesn't sound like the Dublin City I've studied or worked in for the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No, that's mostly cyclists that have that attitude in relation to motorists. I'm only reciprocating.
    I don't see that, I find pedestrians to be the greatest hypocrites of all, which makes perfect sense to me. It also makes perfect sense to me why cyclists are singled out, even though they are not the biggest offenders.

I have no idea...maybe because I reported the accident to the guards and the insurance company...perhaps from there I guess

Gardai don't get involved in personal injuries claims. He'd have no way of knowing which insurance company was your insurance company.

vs.

Cyclists jumping red lights so they can speed the wrong way down the street, on a footpath, over a pedestrian bridge etc.
    Do you wear blinkers when you're on the roads in Dublin city? Because at pretty much every change of traffic light at every junction in Dublin, I see 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 or 4 drivers scooting through on red lights. When I'm in traffic, I see maybe 1 in 8 or 1 in 10 drivers on the phone, either calling or texting/surfing. And don't get me started on the number of drivers with broken rear lights and failing to indicate and speeding and .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

When I'm in my car all cyclists and all motorists are c*nts.
    When I'm on my bike all motorists and all cyclists are c*unts.
    That's the way it is.

• Advertisement

Gardai don't get involved in personal injuries claims. He'd have no way of knowing which insurance company was your insurance company..

I was not aware of that! I have no idea how he got my details. On the day he would not even give me his name! Maybe he just rang insurance companies and reported an accident stated the date and then as I had already reported it, it matched? He didnt even come near my car so he would not have seen my insurane disk on the window either.

I think im going to write my insurance company, state that I am not responsible and ask them to claim from him for damages to my car

Advertisement