Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists breaking lights!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Im going to say it again because they are a bunch of fecking gobshoites.

The arseholes that use those dublin bikes are the worst.

Its like they never used a bike before and still think their a pedestrian walking running lights and going between people and cars.

I know the scheme is great and makes money but god those people are dopes waiting to be knocked down.

You know they are all GPS tracked, you can report them, given a time, location, direction and brief description they can be ID'd quite easily with not a huge effort (My old flatmate worked in Kevin St. Garda station and in conjunction with the DB people tracked a bike down while moving).

I can't see the Gardai diverting resources to such an operation, what with the lack of death and maiming but I would love to see it happening if only there weren't more pressing matters for the underfunded and understaffed AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Its like they never used a bike before and still think their a pedestrian walking running lights and going between people and cars.
    I know the scheme is great and makes money but god those people are dopes waiting to be knocked down.

Who's this your talking about here? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Jawgap wrote: »
    Sure that's grand - haven't the Guards and the CFA so little to do that they'd have plenty of time to take them into custody and care until their parents are found. And sure I'd say there's hardly any paperwork involved when a child of all people is taken in?

Maybe the €2 million you suggested would be raised from licensing in another thread could be used to fund this? That is if you're agreeable to it not being used for your original idea - paying down the national debt!

So you'd just leave two vulnerable 5 year olds to play among the traffic, interesting outlook, do you have kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Miall108 wrote: »
    And not to mention their generally stuck up their own holes, arseholes cycling around Dublin in their suits thinking their great saving the environment. A good toe up the hole they'd want

That's me I have to say. Saved me a bunch of time this morning. While everyone seethed in the traffic, I was into work, changed into the suit and at a meeting across town for 8.45 courtesy of a Dublin bike rack right outside our office.

You weren't one if those stick in traffic by any chance? It's just I've noticed a definite spike in posts criticising cyclists, mind you not quite as eloquently put as your good self, through various social media outlets of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    That's me I have to say. Saved me a bunch of time this morning. While everyone seethed in the traffic, I was into work, changed into the suit and at a meeting across town for 8.45 courtesy of a Dublin bike rack right outside our office.

You weren't one if those stick in traffic by any chance? It's just I've noticed a definite spike in posts criticising cyclists, mind you not quite as eloquently put as your good self, through various social media outlets of late.

I think those bike rental schemes are great and to my eye, the people using them are almost all careful, considerate and law abiding. No, they are definitely not the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Spook_ie wrote: »
    So you'd just leave two vulnerable 5 year olds to play among the traffic, interesting outlook, do you have kids?

He never said they were vulnerable!?

Just goes to prove that you feel subjecting children of 5 years of age to the full rigors of the law and police force for something as minor as say using their bicycles on a footpath as being perfectly normal, shows that you're incapable of a rational reasoned debate on this matter. And each of the irrational biased points made are to be laughed at..

The system for putting points onto irish licenses is already in existence, the system to hold points in abeyance until a driver obtains a license is already in place ( how do you think they put points onto 15 year old joyriders licenses?) I'm just proposing that seeing as cyclists are part of traffic then traffic penalty points are extended to them. For instance you get caught on your bike jumping a red light, because you are traffic, you get penalty points on your license to drive, if you don't hold a license they are kept in limbo until you do get a license and put on then.

Btw I don't recall posting anything in this thread about road taxation, but if you want to rehash the thread from breaking red lights to road taxation, feel free

The thing is, what you are asking for here is expensive. It costs significant resources to process this stuff, and a significant amount of garda time to enforce.

So on that basis, we have to ask: what 'problem' are you trying to solve? Can you point us to the deaths and serious injuries caused by cyclists running red lights? Can you explain how it harms anyone?

I am not saying these statistics don't exist, but they never get quoted.

As a counter example: when we clamped down on drink driving it was done on the basis of 'x% of fatal accidents occur when someone is over the limit, therefore there is a clear social good in policing drink driving more aggressively'.

There seems to be no argument like that for cyclists other than "I am a taxi driver and cyclists annoy me"

First Up wrote: »
    I think those bike rental schemes are great and to my eye, the people using them are almost all careful, considerate and law abiding. No, they are definitely not the problem.

I would say that it has without a doubt contributed to the casualisation of cycling in Dublin and it is a very popular scheme - I came upon an empty rack this morning.

What I don't like to see, no differently than any other road users, is blatant disregard for the rules and other road users and pedestrians - so no breaking lights, cycling on paths or (as I saw a few times this morning) cycling against the flow of traffic.

These problems will not be solved overnight - it's only until you've cycled around the city you realise what a potentially hostile environment it is. Not from other road users who I generally never have an issue with - more so from poorly thought out infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Yes. And I'd only let them play in the traffic if I was with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lanarty56

There's nothing like an original contribution to enhance a thread.......and this is nothing like an original contribution.

Another cyclist who cant handle the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I would say that it has without a doubt contributed to the casualisation of cycling in Dublin and it is a very popular scheme - I came upon an empty rack this morning.

What I don't like to see, no differently than any other road users, is blatant disregard for the rules and other road users and pedestrians - so no breaking lights, cycling on paths or (as I saw a few times this morning) cycling against the flow of traffic.

These problems will not be solved overnight - it's only until you've cycled around the city you realise what a potentially hostile environment it is. Not from other road users who I generally never have an issue with - more so from poorly thought out infrastructure.

As I said in the earlier post, the bad behaviour by cyclists is not a feature (in my experience) of the casual bike rack users. The guilty parties tend to be the "serious" cyclists who regard every journey as an ideological confrontation. I've seen some of these assholes giving a hard time to casual cyclists too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    So, little Johnny and Mary can't remember their address, cos they are like, 5 years old, so now also have to carry proof of identity? Otherwise they get arrested and hauled down to the nearest Garda station like common criminals in the back of a garda van yea? In cuffs cos they like broke a red light or maybe cycled on the footpath cos otherwise there's only a dual carriageway...

Please explain the benefit to society in hauling two 5 year olds down to the garda station, including how the taking up of many hours of police time and cost to the state in dealing with these two outlaws?
    Tenzor07 wrote: »
    He never said they were vulnerable!?

Just goes to prove that you feel subjecting children of 5 years of age to the full rigors of the law and police force for something as minor as say using their bicycles on a footpath as being perfectly normal, shows that you're incapable of a rational reasoned debate on this matter. And each of the irrational biased points made are to be laughed at..

I believe ( unless I'm misreading your post ) that the children were playing unaccompanied next to a dual carriageway, you believe that 5 year olds should be left unaccompanied to play by a dual carriageway on cycles or not?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I believe ( unless I'm misreading your post ) that the children were playing unaccompanied next to a dual carriageway, you believe that 5 year olds should be left unaccompanied to play by a dual carriageway on cycles or not?

Once they are on the footpath, there are a couple of schools on the N11 which often have kids walking/cycling along the footpath. Would be far more concerned if they were on the road, not because they shouldn't be there but more to do with the couple of road users who see the speed limit as a target, who don't pay attention to anything that not directly in front of them. Large sections would not be interrupted by driveway as that was a concern earlier on, whereas the cycle lane is consistently ridden up on by buses and taxis. So it's either spin slowly along the footpath while in national school or out on the road interacting with traffic that can't seem to recognise adults let alone small children, lane markings, stop signs, red lights or pedestrians. I can see which direction to a child would land parents in court for lack of due care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Over the weekend I was driving from Blanch through Castleknock towards town, and noticed a cyclist with all the bells and whistles, including a GoPro camera mounted on top of his helmet. Every single junction and set of red lights, he actually sped up to cycle through them.

It has to be somewhat ironic wearing a GoPro camera (presumably to protect oneself in the event of an incident) if you are then going to fly through every set of red lights you come upon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Difficult to quantify numerical because the RSA don't keep statistics on court cases but the fact that you have 3 in whatever period is indicative of not a lot, perhaps you can put an empirical value to it
    No, indeed, I can't put an empirical value on it. Neither can you, and neither can anyone else. Which is why I take those claims of 'total free-for-all for cyclists' as opinionated nonsense with no basis in fact.
    SeanW wrote: »
    I see cyclists breaking the law most every day that I take to the streets in our main cities. But I've only seen one stopped once, and that I think was for cycling on Grafton Street. From what I've seen, it's a total free-for-all regarding cyclists. I'm fine with that up to a point, so long as they are not hypocritical about it.
    ImDave wrote: »
    Over the weekend I was driving from Blanch through Castleknock towards town, and noticed a cyclist with all the bells and whistles, including a GoPro camera mounted on top of his helmet. Every single junction and set of red lights, he actually sped up to cycle through them.

It has to be somewhat ironic wearing a GoPro camera (presumably to protect oneself in the event of an incident) if you are then going to fly through every set of red lights you come upon!
    Once again, do you see cars and vans breaking the law every day in our main cities, by speeding, phoning/texting, breaking red lights, driving with busted lights etc etc? What percentage of drivers speeding, phoning/texting, breaking red lights, driving with busted lights do you see being stopped by the Gardai?
    lanarty56 wrote: »
    Something has to be done about these idiot cyclists on our roads. Most of them have no regard for the rules of the road, they are a danger to themselves and other road users. The government should seriously consider a mandatory theory test for all cyclists
    Have you found that the 'mandatory theory test' was successful in stopping drivers of motor vehicles who have no regard for the rules of the road and are a danger to themselves and other road users?

Miall108 wrote: »
    And not to mention their generally stuck up their own holes, arseholes cycling around Dublin in their suits thinking their great saving the environment. A good toe up the hole they'd want

Funny how there have been NO serious accidents for Dublin Bikes users since the scheme started, which has the highest usage rates in the world (though doesn't actually make money afaik)?

By contrast, motor vehicles kill 200+ people each year and maim thousands of others, but your ire is directed at cyclists who are making it easier for you to drive by having one less car on the road.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    You know they are all GPS tracked, you can report them, given a time, location, direction and brief description they can be ID'd quite easily with not a huge effort (My old flatmate worked in Kevin St. Garda station and in conjunction with the DB people tracked a bike down while moving).
    Can you clarify this? Do DB hold a GPS history of every DB bike journey? If so, this would have huge implications for data protection. I don't see any reference to this on the DB website.
    The thing is, what you are asking for here is expensive. It costs significant resources to process this stuff, and a significant amount of garda time to enforce.
    And every hour of Garda time spend dealing with this issue is one less hour spent dealing with motor vehicles that kill 200+ people each year and maim thousands of others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

lanarty56 wrote: »
    Another cyclist who cant handle the truth.

How do you know I'm a cyclist and only a cyclist?

I'll bet you one of my two cars I'm not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Everyone ask yourself honestly, when you drive do you sometimes run that amber that you know you didnt quite make? And when was the last time you crossed the road somewhere other than at a green man.

EVERYONE needs to start obeying the law.

On my walk home today two cars ran red lights (long past amber) through pedestrian greens. Far bigger menace than cyclists

How do you know I'm a cyclist and only a cyclist?

I'll bet you one of my two cars I'm not!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzd40i8TfA

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

You are so incredibly wrong.

IF more people took on your logic, the roads would be absolute chaos. "It's fine for me to break a red light because I am on a bike" No, no it's not.

Did you even read my post?

Life is not as black and white as you make it out to be, by the way. Maybe you will learn that some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Cyclists jesus don't get me started ****ing ****.

• Advertisement

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Cyclists jesus don't get me started ****ing ****.

Ah go on. Tell us a story or two

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Ah go on. Tell us a story or two

too many cyclists are still breaking red lights.

i'm speaking as a pedestrian walking through dublin city in the morning before work and in the evening after work.

Red light for traffic and the green man shows and cyclists there are cyclists pushing and squeezing their way through the red lights and pedestrians crossing the road. one nearly clipped me the other day only for i jumped backwards to avoid him (nearly knocking the person behind me over)

some are jumping traffic in middle lanes and skipping red lights from behind buses in the bus lane so you cant see them while walking out, (saw a poor young one get hit by handle bars the other morning because they could not see each other as a result of cyclist breaking red light and coming out from middle lane behind a bus.

From a drivers point of view, i cannot keep track of the amount of times i nearly squashed and killed cyclists because they wont stop at a red light. pure stupidity , one day something very bad will happen as a result of an accident by a cyclist running red light.

one that really annoyed me as a driver was coming from parnell street going around the cinema towards bolton street. there is a little hump you drive over but you keep going. There is a cycle lane coming down from bolton to capel street but i nearly knocked over a woman on a bike because she did not yield and yet she proceeded to shout abuse at me cos i kept going. Utter bollox. Learn and follow the rules of the road, i was so close to having an accident with it that its just aswell i reacted and stopped in time and lucky the car behind me was not close and didn't crash into the back of me !

Junction in question:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The traffic lights or pedestrian crossing by the Spike in Dublin is such a great example on how cyclists can be jerks.
    A couple of weeks ago I was crossing there and the pedestrian light goes green. Myself, the girlfriend and about 50+ other people start walking. Que this bald headed bloke flick his bicycle bell as he approaches the sea of people telling them to get out of his way.

Thing was that he wasn't going slow either. Not to imply he was pelting into the people. But to put it one way, he would have to jam on his breaks hard if someone got in his way.

Douchebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Sand

And when was the last time you crossed the road somewhere other than at a green man.

EVERYONE needs to start obeying the law.

In fairness, whoever programs the pedestrian lights for most of Dublin is taking the piss. Its green for about 5 seconds, amber for about 15-20.

Its dangerous because when you see amber you wonder...do I have 15-20 seconds to cross the road? Or 2-3?

And on a lot of junctions you can completely ignore the pedestrian lights. The will show red for 30-40 seconds whilst traffic flow means its still entirely safe for pedestrians to cross the junction (as the cars cannot enter the junction without crashing).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Shouldn't bike riders have to pay a bike tax to use the road?
    Only a nominal amount, say €50. Might make them think twice about how they use the road. :)

too many cyclists are still breaking red lights.

i'm speaking as a pedestrian walking through dublin city in the morning before work and in the evening after work.

Red light for traffic and the green man shows and cyclists there are cyclists pushing and squeezing their way through the red lights and pedestrians crossing the road. one nearly clipped me the other day only for i jumped backwards to avoid him (nearly knocking the person behind me over)

some are jumping traffic in middle lanes and skipping red lights from behind buses in the bus lane so you cant see them while walking out, (saw a poor young one get hit by handle bars the other morning because they could not see each other as a result of cyclist breaking red light and coming out from middle lane behind a bus.

From a drivers point of view, i cannot keep track of the amount of times i nearly squashed and killed cyclists because they wont stop at a red light. pure stupidity , one day something very bad will happen as a result of an accident by a cyclist running red light.

one that really annoyed me as a driver was coming from parnell street going around the cinema towards bolton street. there is a little hump you drive over but you keep going. There is a cycle lane coming down from bolton to capel street but i nearly knocked over a woman on a bike because she did not yield and yet she proceeded to shout abuse at me cos i kept going. Utter bollox. Learn and follow the rules of the road, i was so close to having an accident with it that its just aswell i reacted and stopped in time and lucky the car behind me was not close and didn't crash into the back of me !

Junction in question:

That's mad. I cycled into Dublin city centre today through the densest fog in months - every driver perfectly lit up with proper fog lights and what amazed me in particular was the way they reduced their speed and allowed loads of distance between the car in front.

Mind you, even on a clear morning, you have to hand it to dublin drivers. None break lights, go straight in in left turning lanes, drive up bus lanes or block yellow boxes. I hear the European Commission are sending a fact finding mission from all the other eu countries to see how we manage it.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Shouldn't bike riders have to pay a bike tax to use the road?
    Only a nominal amount, say €50. Might make them think twice about how they use the road. :)

What, like road tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

What, like road tax?

They use the road don't they?

kleefarr wrote: »
    They use the road don't they?

Go to bed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Maybe the cyclist are colour blind, i think a cycle licence should be introduced with mandatory colour blindness testing.

Advertisement