Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to kill depression

Options

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

No offense, but if it were that easy to overcome depression, half of us here would be out jogging every morning. Part of dealing with depression is realising and accepting the fact that there isn't one easy solution, sad to say, and that it can't just be brushed away with exercise or similar :(

You can't 'kill' depression. The best one can do is to try to learn to deal with it, and to seek help with it if you can.

[edit]Hyperbole and a Half gives one of the best descriptions of depression that I have ever come across. Well worth the five minutes it takes to read it.

Adventures in Depression
    Depression Part Two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I got it the day my Sister died I was only 13 my family fell apart so did I
    depression will die the day my Sister comes back to earth :mad: its never gonna happen :mad: friends mean nothing, money doesn't matter I have it for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Well I use selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. (SSRI's) or my meds to laymen, exercise has it's place but wont kill depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I kinda have to disagree slightly with the above. It makes it sound very much like depression is something that's very difficult to overcome, and I think it's that kind of attitude that contributes to why there are so many long term sufferers of depression. Everyone has their own way of dealing with depression. Not everyone's experience is the same. Some people cannot get out of it without medication. Some people, like myself, don't need medication.

I suffered with depression a few years ago. It wasn't pleasant. Your whole perception of life is changed and you just kinda exist, rather than live. I would cry myself to sleep every night, and not even know why. I'd wake up like a shadow every day, not really caring about what happens. I know what depression feels like and it's not nice. I got out of it myself though, without medication and without doctors. It took a while, and there were plenty of times where I thought I couldn't do it, but I did.

I mean, yeah, it's not easy. You're not going to wake up one morning and not be depressed. However, it's not impossible and it's something every sufferer can overcome, whether they can see it right now or not. If someone had told me "oh, you poor thing, it's so difficult", I would most likely not have been able to do it. If, on the other hand, if someone told me "meh, it's not gonna be tomorrow but you'll get there", then I probably would have been fine a lot sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Exercise is helpful but mostly in cases where the exercise is new to the individual. For example, Gaelic footballers aren't likely to aid their depression by playing football but someone who's not a regular with the sport might. If one were to try something new like water polo though maybe it would help. Exercise is just another way of measuring one's achievements. When you make progress exercising there's a tangible sense of achievement to add to a person's self worth. The same can said for many things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 llennocO

Well I use selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. (SSRI's) or my meds to laymen, exercise has it's place but wont kill depression.

SSRI's have their place but won't kill depression either.

llennocO wrote: »
    SSRI's have their place but won't kill depression either.

Nothing will that's the point. If it did people would not suffer long term with it.

Nothing will that's the point. If it did people would not suffer long term with it.

Of course depression can be killed. Not everyone has depression for their whole lives, only those who do nothing to change it. Yeah, motivation to actually change it doesn't be readily available however depression can be killed. To say it can't is why we have long term suffers...

I don't agree, depression is not terminal by any means and numerous individuals overcome this condition with or without pharmacological approaches and without becoming chronically affected.

I'm loathe to think it but it does feel a bit complacent to argue that nothing is going to kill depression. Scientists are working on this, the fact that you have an SSRI option is proof enough of that, and I'm certain the precision and efficacy of treatments will only improve over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

like all illness its only the person themselves that can kill it, sure you can get crutches to help the fight but the longer you have the crutch the harder it becomes to live without it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Endless Nameless

You think Robin Williams did not have access to exercise regimes....?

do you even lift brah?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The use of the word " depression",in a medical context,is pure bull****.People who are"depressed" have low MOOD - a reactive response to difficult life circumstances.It is the underlying issue,therefore,that needs to be addressed or "treated",not by pharmaceutical means alone but in a more holistic sense e.g. counseling, CBT etc.
    The vastly profitable drug companies,in cahoots with doctor's who benefit financially as a result, promote this myth of "clinical" depression - i.e. a lack of Seratonin in the brain- as a means of peddling their wares to vunerable people
    who really don't need them.

chicorytip wrote: »
    The use of the word " depression",in a medical context,is pure bull****.People who are"depressed" have low MOOD - a reactive response to difficult life circumstances.It is the underlying issue,therefore,that needs to be addressed or "treated",not by pharmaceutical means alone but in a more holistic sense e.g. counseling, CBT etc.
    The vastly profitable drug companies,in cahoots with doctor's who benefit financially as a result, promote this myth of "clinical" depression - i.e. a lack of Seratonin in the brain- as a means of peddling their wares to vunerable people

you have no clue about depression do you :o

depression is actually apathy mostly read the link a few posts down from the Start of the thread. what youre describing is not major depression, its just...being depressed, big difference

Medicalisation of mental life aside, do you not agree that all mental activity is ultimately a function of the activity of neuronal and glial ensembles in your brain?

There is abundant evidence for this idea and so-called moods are readily modified in predictable ways by physical and pharmacological intervention. The subjective "measurement" of mood as low or high is just as crude as the medical treatments you denigrate and since you've mentioned who benefits financially why have you failed to point out that counsellors and talk-therapists charge nearly 80 euro per hour for treatment which can continue indefinitely?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Are you for real?? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

glad you cleared that up for us so

HEY EVERYONE CHEER UP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

mike_ie wrote: »
    No offense, but if it were that easy to overcome depression, half of us here would be out jogging every morning. Part of dealing with depression is realising and accepting the fact that there isn't one easy solution, sad to say, and that it can't just be brushed away with exercise or similar :(

You can't 'kill' depression. The best one can do is to try to learn to deal with it, and to seek help with it if you can.

[edit]Hyperbole and a Half gives one of the best descriptions of depression that I have ever come across. Well worth the five minutes it takes to read it.

Adventures in Depression
    Depression Part Two

Everyone should read the above links.
    Mike.ie thanks so much for introducing them to me.

Personally I think the word 'kill' should be removed from thread title as bastaard depression can only be managed and lived with, rarely eradicated completely. I know some people can live depression free lives after an episode but IMHO that takes effort from the person.

For me depression is an absence of feelings, not simply feeling sad about things.

Best of luck everyone and please please always try and find someone to talk to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

mike_ie wrote: »
    Are you for real?? :confused:

Dear God, the mind boggles. Well said, Mike.

bluewolf wrote: »
    glad you cleared that up for us so

HEY EVERYONE CHEER UP

Think he wants us to sit around chanting and hug some crystals. Love the way people confuse being sad as depression. I generally feel nothing, that's the problem.

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »

Personally I think the word 'kill' should be removed from thread title as bastaard depression can only be managed and lived with, rarely eradicated completely. I know some people can live depression free lives after an episode but IMHO that takes effort from the person.
    This is my point from before. If you tell people they can't get rid of depression, then they won't. I really dislike the idea that depression can only be managed, not gotten rid of. Getting rid of depression is not something only a select few people can do, it's something that can be done by everyone. However, it's not possible people keep telling them that it's not, especially considering the vunerable mental state depression puts you in. Yes, it takes effort, doesn't everything? It's not impossible. The sooner we get rid of the idea that depression is for life, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

sup_dude wrote: »
    This is my point from before. If you tell people they can't get rid of depression, then they won't. I really dislike the idea that depression can only be managed, not gotten rid of. Getting rid of depression is not something only a select few people can do, it's something that can be done by everyone. However, it's not possible people keep telling them that it's not, especially considering the vunerable mental state depression puts you in. Yes, it takes effort, doesn't everything? It's not impossible. The sooner we get rid of the idea that depression is for life, the better.

Actually the sooner we get rid of the idea that those are chronically depressed are merely so because they simply aren't trying hard enough to do something about it the better. How incredibly insulting towards anyone who is battling what can often be an extremely debilitating and long-term illness. This sort of nonsense simply feeds the horrible stigma around the illness-and yes it is an illness. Of course not all depression is chronic or long-term but for some of us unfortunately it is, despite our best efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I've a Bipolar family member and she can never get rid of it and will need meds to function, probably for the rest of her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

123balltv wrote: »
    I got it the day my Sister died I was only 13 my family fell apart so did I
    depression will die the day my Sister comes back to earth :mad: its never gonna happen :mad: friends mean nothing, money doesn't matter I have it for life.

That's really terrible. I can't imagine how you would get through that kind of loss, but you should eventually for your own sake. You owe it to yourself to live your life to the full. You know too well how precious it is. I've seen people wallow in grief for years and trust me there comes a point where it begins to eat you up. You have to give yourself permission to move on from the extreme grief and start to enjoy things again. Please look after yourself and speak to your GP about how you are feeling. I don't know about money, but friends and family are really important, even if you can't see the value of them right now.

sunbeam wrote: »
    Actually the sooner we get rid of the idea that those are chronically depressed are merely so because they simply aren't trying hard enough to do something about it the better. How incredibly insulting towards anyone who is battling what can often be an extremely debilitating and long-term illness. This sort of nonsense simply feeds the horrible stigma around the illness-and yes it is an illness. Of course not all depression is chronic or long-term but for some of us unfortunately it is, despite our best efforts.

That's not what I'm saying and I'm sorry you took it up that way.

LethalLady, one of my best friends is bipolar. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the idea that is out forward saying that depression can't be overcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Robin Williams was killed by the illuminati not suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

That's not what I'm saying and I'm sorry you took it up that way.

LethalLady, one of my best friends is bipolar. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the idea that is out forward saying that depression can't be overcome.

I suppose when I read a discussion on depression I assume it refers to all types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Of course depression can be killed. Not everyone has depression for their whole lives, only those who do nothing to change it. Yeah, motivation to actually change it doesn't be readily available however depression can be killed. To say it can't is why we have long term suffers...

I'm sorry but these type of arrogant post by users who have absolutely no fu*king idea of what there talking really makes my blood boil.

Please try to keep your uneducated thought to yourselves as there are extremely offencive to people that battle with depression on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I once read he cycled ten miles a day or something.

Advertisement