Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Robin Williams

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Such a great man. How is this possible? Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Poor man. It's so heartbreaking to see another great person taken by suicide. One of life's true gents, may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Such sad news. Shed a few tears when I heard, such a great talent. Don't know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I dont think a celebrity death has actually affected me this much.

Robin Williams just reminds me of my childhood and I vividly remember me wishing he was my dad or uncle.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

For ****'s sake, why would someone thank a post like this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Just remember if anyone needs to talk:

Samaritans are on 116 123 in the Republic of Ireland and 0845 7 909090 in NI and Britain.

@retweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Can't even begin to comprehend the pressure he must have felt just from his level of fame. To be that nice a guy that he is reported as being constantly and suffering underneath is something none of us could ever fully understand. Hope he's at peace now. Gonna be watching a lot of his stuff in the next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Rich,poor,man,woman,race or religion depression doesn't care.

RIP Mr.Williams your talent will live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Am so gutted to hear this. He was one of my all time favourite actors and I always preferred his more serious roles over the funny ones. Good Will Hunting is in my top 10, actually a lot of his movies are in there. I always remember from Patch Adams that asking and remembering someone's name is so important and not a number to just tick off a list.

RIP you legend *sniff* :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

For ****'s sake, why would someone thank a post like this??

Because a post moved them, like a post or two on here moved me. It not too difficult to understand a man loved by many who never knew him but wished they had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

RIP. :(

This isn't a big surprise to me, I've read about his struggles with depression before.

People, don't underestimate depression. Here is a dude who ostensibly had everything, but when you're depressed, none of that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Ah ffs, in a bad mood this evening and now this depressing news... this week's started out ****.

fs, well known legend - why!?

Kinda ironic way of going after he starred in What Dreams May Come... :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It popped up as a news alert on my phone and I have to say I felt like I got a punch in the stomach.

Very few celebs would have that impact on me.

He just radiated goodness, and in a world of celebrity self-obsession and shallowness, he therefore represented goodness. I guess that's one of the reasons why so many people are finding it so upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I don't normally post on rip threads. Genuinely saddened to hear this.
    He had that natural talent for making you laugh at him and with whilst also giving you chills: an uneasy, melancholic, awkward, eccentric bundled into some great characters from Mork to Garp.

Nanu nanu.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hard to think he was even in this video right now

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't know what it is about this that genuinely made me feel sad. I mean, celebrities die all the time and it doesn't affect me, they're just people I didn't know. But when I heard this it was... different for some reason. Sad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 RenegadeDisco

Tarzana wrote: »
    RIP. :(

This isn't a big surprise to me, I've read about his struggles with depression before.

People, don't underestimate depression. Here is a dude who ostensibly had everything, but when you're depressed, none of that matters.

It put chills down me hearing he died from asphyixation. A horrible end. You never know what horrors other people might be going through in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

I don't know what it is about this that genuinely made me feel sad. I mean, celebrities die all the time and it doesn't affect me, they're just people I didn't know. But when I heard this it was... different for some reason. Sad news.

The last time I felt genuinely sad when a celebrity died was when Lucille Ball passed away. It is the same for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Reckon most young adults to those in their 30s grew up watching films with him often starring in them, or voice acting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I much preferred him in his more serious/less manic roles. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 35,890 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

We all want to think (hope) that people we know who have struggled with depression are fine now. But often depression is recurring. So sad to hear about Robin Williams, who brought lots of laughter to folks for so many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

I've just come home from the pub and I can't believe it. Go watch The Fisher King if you haven't. Zany Robin Williams plays a zany homeless guy. Only it's not the zany Robin Williams that you know. Beautifully understated role that he could have milked but didn't.

His scenes with Amanda Plummer were heart breaking. I remember watching the film hoping they would get together. It wasn't Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt vying for attention but real people like you and me.:mad:

This is the first time in a long time that a real celebrity has died.

RIP Robin.

Gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I don't normally get very upset when a celebrity passes away- I mean a death is sad but it's not like I know the celebrity personally. But this one feels different. And I can even see that from the comments here that it's different for most people.

I think so many of us have had so many smiles on our faces over the years because of this amazingly talented and funny man, that it's incomprehensible to think that he could bring tears to our eyes too- and not through any acting role, but because of a horrible b**tard of an illness that just doesn't care who it hurts.

Jesus he was so talented. In so many different ways. What a huge loss to acting and comedy.

I shed tears tonight. Please please please talk to someone if you're feeling down- there is always always another way. And I know that's easy for me to say, and maybe it means nothing to someone feeling so very down- but if the death of someone who is essentially a stranger to me in America tonight can bring me to tears, God only knows how his family feel. It's just never the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

My personal favourite RW performance - Mork and Mindy.

You know the way he'd sit upside down in chairs on the show? That's what he did when he arrived the room for his casting audition. He was hired on the spot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Just shocked to hear this. Nothing else I can say just shocked and sad. He brought so many smiles and laughs to so many people and I think that's why it's striking more of a chord with people. You just had to see his name or face and you'd smile. May he rest in peace now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Also, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Williams in gone in one year. Two brilliant talents snuffed out in the space of a few months and I'd be willing to wager that depression was at the root of Hoffman's issues too. Mental illness is no joke. The entertainment industry is a much emptier place without the likes of them. You'd have to wonder what Hollywood culture does to these people too. Maybe Dave Chappelle was right all those years ago when he said that environment is sick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Everything wrong with modern media in one screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/LTgE4U3.jpg

Advertisement