Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Robin Williams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

"He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss."

Absolutely heartbreaking. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    There's no way anyone can make a joke of this. Robin Williams is just one of them all time legends that everyone loves and probably grew up with throughout their childhood. So sad, may he R.I.P :(

I heard it was a run-by fruiting

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Jesus this is terrible sad news :(

Williams always struck me; as a guy who had a real love for life as well as his profession. I wasnt aware of any demons he may have had as he wasnt so much in the mainstream the last few years but it just goes to show that beyond the facade, you dont know whats going on inside anyones head.

RIP Robin :(

He actually always struck me as someone who would be very up and down mood-wise. He had that kind of manic way about him that also comes with real crushing lows. It seems sadly quite common in comedy circles too. A fine line between genius and madness and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

This scene at the end of MrsD always hit me right in the feels as a child.

I know he's acting, but you can tell he didn't have to act too hard or dig too deep to pull it off. You can sense his heart.

The poor guy always did look a bit sad in the eyes. Especially in recent photos. A lot of sadness in his eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭nuttyboy79

Mork & Mindy was a show I loved and would always watch Robin Williams in anything he was in because of it. Like someone said earlier on very sad going to bed. RIP Robin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Very sad news. I grew up watching a lot of his movies, Aladdin, Mrs Doubtfire, Hook to name a few and have fond memories of these.

I'm quiet shocked by this and gave a tear in my eye........RIP u funny little man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Absolutely gutted about this. What an absolute legend. Hook, Mrs. Doubtfire, Aladdin and Jumanji were practically my childhood. :(

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Very sad news. I hope he finds the peace he deserves. Rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

This is so sad. Like others here he was a big part of my childhood. I remember watching mork and mindy repeats on sky one I think it was. Loved Aladdin and Mrs Doubtfire too.

RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

He actually always struck me as someone who would be very up and down mood-wise. He had that kind of manic way about him that also comes with real crushing lows. It seems sadly quite common in comedy circles too. A fine line between genius and madness and all that.
    Yeh, something melancholic about him underneath it all. I think similarly of Jim Carrey, who is likely to have been very much influenced by Robin Williams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Oh no, that's shocking (at least to me), horrible news :(
    He had such a lovely energy.
    The dead poets society was a first film that popped into my mind. And I watched Mrs Doubtfire and Jumanji quite recently, what a talented man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

O CAPTAIN! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
    The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won;
    The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
    While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:
    But O heart! heart! heart! O the bleeding drops of red,
    Where on the deck my Captain lies,
    Fallen cold and dead

RIP, you funny man. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

He Taught me that it was ok to be different..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Magaggie wrote: »
    Yeh, something melancholy about him underneath it all. I think similarly of Jim Carrey, who was likely to have been very much influenced by Robin Williams.

Absolutely. And Jim Carrey has spoken publicly about his battle with depression too. I don't know if Robin Williams ever did, but I know he had issues with addiction, which obviously is often a symptom of much deeper issues. Depression is very real and doesn't discriminate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

not too surprised tbh, he always had that look of deep sadness about him, hard to explain just a vibe I got off him and in roles he had during his later career (insomnia was it? (well one shot in alaska anyway) and one hour photo

goodnight sweet prince

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I heard it was a run-by fruiting

:(

Everybody add this guy to your ignore list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I remember 1991, sitting in a cold kitchen extension watching GMV on CH4 on a 14in telly with a wavy reception. I was 13, I was in awe, I was eating Galtee cheese like there was no tomorrow. That's when I decided I wanted to be involved in movies, I spent the next eight years chasing that dream but it didn't work out.

Always remember Robin Williams' influence in me though.

Crying now. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

R.I.P.

Good Will Hunting is one of my favourite movies. Loved Jumanji when I was little too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Just remember if anyone needs to talk:

Samaritans are on 116 123 in the Republic of Ireland and 0845 7 909090 in NI and Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

syklops wrote: »

I'm just as upset about this as anyone, actually, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Just referencing one of his classic films. Not intended in a mocking way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

This- http://youtu.be/BmPrt_gn-eM

Made me love him. So so funny. Rip. Terrible news :( feeling blue

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm at a house party, and I about ten of us are just sitting here in disbelief. Whenever someone dies of suicide for any reason it's absolutely tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

syklops wrote: »

It was a line from doubtfire, relax ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

lightspeed wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Williams

Wikipedia already updated with the news of his death. Who actually instantly thinks i must updated wikipedia upon hearing such tragic news.

Similar type of people who think " I must check Wikipedia upon hearing such tragic news".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

what a difference one man can make in this big world...
    we lost a brilliant soul this day... the stars are shining a little less bright

Robin Williams Quotes:
    "No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world."
    "You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
    "Reality: What a concept!"

none other like him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Another quality clip of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That's just shocking... rip.

I actually out loud shouted "what" when i read the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Very sad to hear the news, especially the circumstances. I hope, that some good and greater awareness of mental health can come out of this in time.
    It shows again that a smiling exterior may mask a deeply troubled mind.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Absolutely. And Jim Carrey has spoken publicly about his battle with depression too. I don't know if Robin Williams ever did, but I know he had issues with addiction, which obviously is often a symptom of much deeper issues. Depression is very real and doesn't discriminate.

Yeah I always felt there was a kind of a sadness behind that mischievous laugh and twinkle in his eye. A bit like Billy Connolly in that way. Amazingly talented and funny but always something of a melancholy in his disposition especially if being interviewed .Maybe in a way that's why they were such great mates but none of that is for speculating on now..

RIP Robin, thanks for the moments and the laughs.

Advertisement