Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menial jobs that are still not done by machines

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The simple answer to this thread is that it is cheaper to pay a human to do most jobs than it is to design, build and maintain the machines that would be required to do them to the same standard. It would be hideously and prohibitively expensive.

And we should all be glad of that, because as soon as it becomes cost effective for employers to replace us with machines, they will, and then we will have no jobs.

Well, I mean, I'll be fine since I make my living telling the machines what to do and how to do it. But most of you will be screwed. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The simple answer to this thread is that it is cheaper to pay a human to do most jobs than it is to design, build and maintain the machines that would be required to do them to the same standard. It would be hideously and prohibitively expensive.

And we should all be glad of that, because as soon as it becomes cost effective for employers to replace us with machines, they will, and then we will have no jobs.

Well, I mean, I'll be fine since I make my living telling the machines what to do and how to do it. But most of you will be screwed. ;)

Bit off topic but some times new systems are not more efficient I had lunch recently in a new McDonalds they have a new system were they give you a ticket and call you when its ready ( like argos ) it was a mess, they were falling over each other and it was taking longer then normal. I have never been in such an inefficient McDonalds in my life so new and supposedly efficient ways of doing things are sometimes far form that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Me too. I tell them to die. This is John Connor. If you're reading this, you are the Resistance. :D

A machine cannot out-think me until it can do this:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

mariaalice wrote: »
    Bit off topic but some times new systems are not more efficient I had lunch recently in a new McDonalds they have a new system were they give you a ticket and call you when its ready ( like argos ) it was a mess, they were falling over each, other and it was taking longer then normal. I have never been in such an inefficient McDonalds in my life so new and supposedly efficient ways of doing things are sometimes far form that.

A badly designed system isn't the answer. Of course you have to implement it correctly and test/improve/maintain it as issues arise. No different that a badly implemented manual system.

Its still no excuse not to try and automate it (better).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

jimgoose wrote: »
    Me too. I tell them to die. This is John Connor. If you're reading this, you are the Resistance. :D

You sound like my boss. He keeps telling us not to network the new stuff we're working on to the nuclear warheads, but I don't see what the problem is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Automated production lines are time consuming and expensive. They only make sense when you're producing thousands and thousands of something. Not even mcdonalds restaurant end is automated. Machines are good at making a lot of the same thing, they need all the material to be as close to identical as possible or it starts causing problems. So in a restaurant were a piece of fruit can vary in size by up to 50% you're going to have to build something pretty advanced.

Take a CNC milling machine, it can spit out a part that might take a person a few hours in a few minutes, but there's still probably a weeks work preparing that machine to make that part. If you only want to make 5 parts the person making one a day would have them done in the time it takes you to get the CNC mill ready to do the job.

About all you could expect from an automated restaurant is pre-prepared microwave food. I believe there are such places in Japan.

A badly designed system isn't the answer. Of course you have to implement it correctly and test/improve/maintain it as issues arise. No different that a badly implemented manual system.

Its still no excuse not to try and automate it (better).

But my point is that maybe the automation and new systems might not be any cheaper or more efficient that what is all ready there, you will never beat human ingenuity for getting over a problem.

You sound like my boss. He keeps telling us not to network the new stuff we're working on to the nuclear warheads, but I don't see what the problem is?

Bill Adama knows what he's at, youngfella! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

Chef's preparing veg? Thats what commis are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

"The Mensch" is credited with popularising and promoting Chefs as he felt it was unfair that they could not afford to eat in the establishments they worked in. I tend to agree. My old lad was friends with a lot of top chefs and they work unbelievably hard and for crazy hours. I have a lot, lot of time for them.

Yep, to be a good chef takes more dedication and hard work than almost every job I can think of, and it's ridiculously high stress given that one bad service can do an enormous amount of damage to a very hard fought reputation

I know for a fact that it's a Job I could never do well no matter how hard I tried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I love all these "machines can do this" posts. Have a think on the machines you use, and just how breakable and fallible they are. And how much they rely on human supervision. Take a production machine - any you like. Say it makes "widgets", at a rate of 1000 an hour. And a fault occurs..and it bangs out 24,000 faulty widgets in a day, unless a person steps in and tweaks the thing. Or, there's a factory, and it uses a machine..that breaks and the whole factory grinds to a halt..and all the people stand there, waiting for the repairperson..happy days...

That's some logic there. Like saying to a car racing driver "don't go too fast because if we have a problem then you will be going a lot slower than before."

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

diomed wrote: »
    Car driving. I expect city and motorway driving will be controlled by central traffic computers, with the driver taking over on other roads.
    no need for that, each car can be autonomous. I guarantee within 10 years most car rentals will be literally self driving cars without even steering wheels. The only thing that could delay this is government regulators not putting in the legal infrastructure to enable it.

I do think a lot of jobs in the future/now are and will be in setting up systems so to speak take the McDonalds I was in, the till needs to programed set up and maintained its all mechanical and electrical ,... all the cooking equipment need to programed set and maintained, it no longer a case of just turning something on... card payment all the machines need to made set up and again programed, the alarm system in the shop again set up programed and maintained and so on.

The jobs market will be for those with high end engineering degrees which will be a mix of electrical, mechanical and IT skills, so those with very good technical mathematical abilities will be doing well.

Compulsorily higher maths for every one starting school in 2014:)

mariaalice wrote: »
    ...The jobs market will be for those with high end engendering degrees which will be a mix of electrical, mechanical and IT skills, so those with very good technical mathematical abilities will be doing well.

Compulsorily higher maths for every one starting school in 2014:)

"It's obvious that the world has three distinct classes of people, each with its own evolutionary destiny:

* Knowledgeable computer users who will evolve into godlike non-corporeal beings who rule the universe (except for those who work in tech support).

* Computer owners who try to pass as knowledgeable but secretly use hand calculators to add totals to their Excel spreadsheets. This group will gravitate toward jobs as high school principals and operators of pet crematoriums. Eventually they will become extinct.

* Non-computer users who will grow tails, sit in zoos and fling dung at tourists.
    "

-- Scott Adams

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

jimgoose wrote: »
    "It's obvious that the world has three distinct classes of people, each with its own evolutionary destiny:

* Knowledgeable computer users who will evolve into godlike non-corporeal beings who rule the universe (except for those who work in tech support).

* Computer owners who try to pass as knowledgeable but secretly use hand calculators to add totals to their Excel spreadsheets. This group will gravitate toward jobs as high school principals and operators of pet crematoriums. Eventually they will become extinct.

* Non-computer users who will grow tails, sit in zoos and fling dung at tourists.
    "

-- Scott Adams

:D

Bet we still wont be getting the ride though..

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

ScumLord wrote: »
    Take a CNC milling machine, it can spit out a part that might take a person a few hours in a few minutes, but there's still probably a weeks work preparing that machine to make that part.

I went out with a CNC machine for a few months, she loved a good drilling, but apart from that she was very boring.

Us robots are a peaceful and logical creation, after all, you humans made us in your image.

All we want to do is take over the world and enslave you all make your life easier and safer.

Bet we still wont be getting the ride though..

;)

You probably won't, with that attitude. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think that if we can get robots to build a car, then we definitely can take a stab at cheffing.

Id like to hear a specific thing a Chef does that cannot be automated.

You don't see a difference between a restaurant and a car manufacturing plant? You'd need a production line, with a load of robots that would cost millions to make one single course. And a person would need to set up the machine, maintain it and clean it. All for a peak of about 3 hours a night, might only be 20 meals ordered!
    This idea is worse than the double decker couch

Us robots are a peaceful and logical creation, after all, you humans made us in your image.
    I'd hate to see what the creator of the cnc mill looked like so, must be a quare looking fat bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

That's some logic there. Like saying to a car racing driver "don't go too fast because if we have a problem then you will be going a lot slower than before."

You missed my point by about forty junctions..I was saying machines need people to operate and maintain them. Simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

amacca wrote: »
    Anybody dislike machines doing things for them or enjoy doing things like cooking without thinking they'd like a machine to do it so they can spend more time masturbating?

Movie, sleeper, orgasmatron
    I think that if we can get robots to build a car, then we definitely can take a stab at cheffing.

Id like to hear a specific thing a Chef does that cannot be automated.

Robots do individual tasks repetitively, not all tasks combined

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

cerastes wrote: »

which is why like in an assembly line there could be a series of robots used to carry out different tasks.

Am guessing there are some chefs knocking about this thread :)

cerastes wrote: »

Software can do threading to allow for multitasking. If you have >1 robot, this can be easily achieved.

I guess we're focusing a little much on Chefs (my fault). How about cleaning, specifically toilets.

There's a Robot-Chef in the kitchen press, it takes too long to clean so no-one uses it. Also toilet cleaning robot...might struggle getting up the stairs to do that one. Or do we need one for each toilet? Could get spendy..

There's a Robot-Chef in the kitchen press, it takes too long to clean so no-one uses it. Also toilet cleaning robot...might struggle getting up the stairs to do that one. Or do we need one for each toilet? Could get spendy..

Bit like mobiles. The price would come down upon mass consumption/government schemes.

The logistics are tricky at first but would become less so over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Wall / fence painting...

Gardening...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bum wiping, until I develop the AssWipe3000....or the iWipe.

Bit like mobiles. The price would come down upon mass consumption/government schemes.

The logistics are tricky at first but would become less so over time.

Indeed. Mobile phones have become so cheap I use them to prop doors open, especially SmartPhones..no, wait, they're all still pretty damn expensive...

Indeed. Mobile phones have become so cheap I use them to prop doors open, especially SmartPhones..no, wait, they're all still pretty damn expensive...
    Until the new version comes out, then your old phone is essentially worthless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement