Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menial jobs that are still not done by machines

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Household chores such as sweeping or loading the dishwasher. It's 2014. Where the **** are my robot monkey butlers?! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

I suppose I shouldn't complain, it could be a lot worse.

Look at my poor granddad in this video, beavering away for that slave driver, Johannes Gutenberg.

Movable type my hole - it was pure robo-sweat that made that man his fortune.

And what did my Granda get? Three shillings a week and a bowl of goose fat to oil his poor hinges.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Opreating a machine

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Gardening. How hard could it be to teach a robot to identify weeds and water the plants? Also, I predict a rise in artificial prostitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

2 stroke wrote: »
    Many IT workers could be replaced by a couple of programs. How hard would it be to write a program, to turn it off and back on again?

Not only their work but they could be replaced socially by a program also ,them and accountants ...yawn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If its all so easy to do why hasn't it been done yet :) The apparently most simply of tasks are very complex when you look in to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

I love all these "machines can do this" posts. Have a think on the machines you use, and just how breakable and fallible they are. And how much they rely on human supervision. Take a production machine - any you like. Say it makes "widgets", at a rate of 1000 an hour. And a fault occurs..and it bangs out 24,000 faulty widgets in a day, unless a person steps in and tweaks the thing. Or, there's a factory, and it uses a machine..that breaks and the whole factory grinds to a halt..and all the people stand there, waiting for the repairperson..happy days...

But 50 years ago you may have needed 100 people to make 1000 widgets an hour. Now you might only need 5. You don't completely get rid of the human aspect but you reduce it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

One that sticks in my craw... Chefs....

Bad enough that society makes celebrities out of the profession but surely the prep, cooking and serving could be automated to a greater extent than now.

I mean find out how to do it well, then get a robot to do it. More hours with the crack pipe could ensue. Result.

You should watch Wall.E to see what will happen.

Or terminator.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Some posted on needing to maintain the robots...so what? If 100 robots are doing 100 peoples work (say cleaning for instance) and 1 robot breaks down, that means we need 1 person to fix/maintain them.

You still have a net saving of 99 jobs. Think of Tesco auto checkouts. 4-6 checkouts manned by 1 person. The same principle could apply.

Of course youd still need humans to react to unusual situations, just not as many as doing the mundane work.

Life wasn't meant to be about chorses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

the_monkey wrote: »
    just look at this stunning piece of automation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaN5r44o2zo

Looks like that's being driven though...

People can laugh at robots taking der jobs, but we're at the start of some widescale automation. And I'm not sure how society is going to deal with it tbh. For instance the local Dunnes up home recently removed around half of their registers and plonked in a load of automated checkouts. Was talking to some of the staff and all of their hours are being cut.
    You don't completely get rid of the human aspect but you reduce it

Exactly.

• Advertisement

I think its overall a good thing. People will have to start showing independent thought in work (and maybe the schooling will be updated to encourage this). The days of just doing what the boss says will be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

high end watch assembly is done by hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

amacca wrote: »
    Anybody dislike machines doing things for them or enjoy doing things like cooking without thinking they'd like a machine to do it so they can spend more time masturbating?

I use a milking machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

There are some things you humans will never get us robots to do.
    Drinking Harp Larger for example.

I remember a cartoon about this advert years ago with this fella at the
    bar says to your man from the future:

"Are you the bloke from the future going around with the metal orb looking for Harp Larger?"

"Yes, I am. Why do you ask?"

"Coz you'd want balls of steel to drink that sh1te."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Spray painting cars.
    Truck,bus,taxi drivers :D

something to change my tv channel or type this without touching anything.

Get a UPC remote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Repetitive paper work I mean. Each day I have to write the same thing in 6 different places.

Mainly Patient care.

However if we had all on a computer system we could write it once copy n paste to the 5 or more other places..

Ah sure isn't it a hse funded area anyway. No big expectations there to cost save or time save...

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Cleaning toilets in nightclubs.. or anywhere really

Good luck with that, given that we now live in a society where you're made to feel guilty going into nightclub toilets if you don't give a generous tip to an immigrant whose sole job is to hand you a piece of paper to dry your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I was at a great lecture recently about the future of smart cities. Very interesting developments happening in the area of hardware verification, transport and construction (amongst others). Without getting into too many specifics, if you like to think of yourself as being ‘good with your hands’ and ‘into a honest day’s graft’ while carrying out physically demanding work then you’d want to consider a new career. Self-driving vehicles are moving beyond proof-of-concept, the next generation of robotics will have increasingly complex self-healing and self-monitoring properties; even the idea of a house being built on site by a couple of lads having the crack and loading sand into a cement mixer is firmly rooted in the Victorian era.

Dr. Andrew McAfee from MIT has some great lectures and videos about this. https://www.ted.com/talks/andrew_mcafee_what_will_future_jobs_look_like

If you're the type of punter who asks "how can a robot/machine ever do that" as oppossed to "how will a robot/machine do that" then you're part of the old economy. A relic of a different era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

health and safety.

burn. pile of ****in morons :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

One that sticks in my craw... Chefs....

Bad enough that society makes celebrities out of the profession but surely the prep, cooking and serving could be automated to a greater extent than now.

I mean find out how to do it well, then get a robot to do it. More hours with the crack pipe could ensue. Result.
    A robot can do the job of a chef? Jesus wept, are you picturing something like this:
    http://blogs.hoy.es/loch-lomond/files/2012/12/Bender-Chef-300x225.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

Get a UPC remote

I have one of these but find myself going "wut :confused: "

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I was at a great lecture recently about the future of smart cities. Very interesting developments happening in the area of hardware verification, transport and construction (amongst others). Without getting into too many specifics, if you like to think of yourself as being ‘good with your hands’ and ‘into a honest day’s graft’ while carrying out physically demanding work then you’d want to consider a new career. Self-driving vehicles are moving beyond proof-of-concept, the next generation of robotics will have increasingly complex self-healing and self-monitoring properties; even the idea of a house being built on site by a couple of lads having the crack and loading sand into a cement mixer is firmly rooted in the Victorian era.

Dr. Andrew McAfee from MIT has some great lectures and videos about this. https://www.ted.com/talks/andrew_mcafee_what_will_future_jobs_look_like

If you're the type of punter who asks "how can a robot/machine ever do that" as oppossed to "how will a robot/machine do that" then you're part of the old economy. A relic of a different era.

The steam engine and Arkwright's Spinning Jenny was supposed to usher in a new era of universal prosperity for all, with the average working man pulling down an ample wage for spending a couple of hours a day pulling a lever. Instead, they got excruciating toil eighteen-hour-days seven-days-a-week, child labour and indescribable poverty and filth. If we don't watch out for ourselves we'll have the same thing only at a thousand petaflops with GPS and RFID. Smart Cities meballacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

MS.ing wrote: »
    I have one of these but find myself going "wut :confused: "

They are possessed.

Cienciano wrote: »
    A robot can do the job of a chef? Jesus wept, are you picturing something like this:
    http://blogs.hoy.es/loch-lomond/files/2012/12/Bender-Chef-300x225.jpg

I think that if we can get robots to build a car, then we definitely can take a stab at cheffing.

Id like to hear a specific thing a Chef does that cannot be automated.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

I think that if we can get robots to build a car, then we definitely can take a stab at cheffing.

Tasting the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Tasting the food.
    http://www.higuchi-inc.co.jp/e/pharma/analysis/taste/

You get a chef to taste the food initially, and when it's right, give it to the machine saying "this one's perfect, aim for this".

Taste a meal half-way through cooking, and decide if it needs a little bit more of this or that.

Valetta wrote: »
    Taste a meal half-way through cooking, and decide if it needs a little bit more of this or that.

Neural Network/Machine Learning. If you show examples of correct configurations (and examples where X needs more Y) you can eventually build a pretty intelligent RoboChef. "Training the Network" i believe they call it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Robocop

• Advertisement

Neural Network/Machine Learning. If you show examples of correct configurations (and examples where X needs more Y) you can eventually build a pretty intelligent RoboChef. "Training the Network" i believe they call it

It's the chef's opinion, though.

Advertisement