Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menial jobs that are still not done by machines

Options
  • 11-08-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭

One that sticks in my craw... Chefs....

Bad enough that society makes celebrities out of the profession but surely the prep, cooking and serving could be automated to a greater extent than now.

I mean find out how to do it well, then get a robot to do it. More hours with the crack pipe could ensue. Result.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I was quite surprised to find that recycling is still at least part sorted by hand because people are too lazy to reliably separate plastic, paper and cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Spray painting cars.
    Truck,bus,taxi drivers :D

something to change my tv channel or type this without touching anything.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I was quite surprised to find that recycling is still at least part sorted by hand because people are too lazy to reliably separate plastic, paper and cans.

Sure I see people use recycle bins for normal rubbish and think it's ok if the plastic packaging they put in is still full of what they bought and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Bad enough that society makes celebrities out of the profession but surely the prep, cooking and serving could be automated to a greater extent than now.

I mean find out how to do it well, then get a robot to do it. More hours with the crack pipe could ensue. Result.

You think being a chef is a menial job??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

If they want me to go to the bother of recycling, then they can bloody well sort the ****in thing themselves :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Why the he'll do I still risk getting ****e on my hand while wiping when I could just wipe down a machine who may or may not get my ****e on its parts after wiping me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Repairing broken machines. Thanks be to God.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Chucken wrote: »
    You think being a chef is a menial job??

Cooking prep and serving is. If your restaurant has a set menu and x configurations of each food then I believe it is automatable.

To answer your question specifically... I think it's an overrated profession that can make ego maniacs out of people for imo no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Vacuuming. We theoretically have the roomba, but it doesn't cope very well with long hair on carpet.

Why don't we have nanobots that collect dust and bring the dust back to designated receptacles?

I should be able to have a bed that automatically washes, dries and irons all the bedclothes every day so that I can get into a clean bed every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

Seriously? A chef?

Someone has never cooked a meal in their life anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Cooking prep and serving is. If your restaurant has a set menu and x configurations of each food then I believe it is automatable.

True. Sure all thats involved is flinging random stuff into a pot :rolleyes:

Robotic pooper scoopers.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Putting the figs into fig rolls.

I forgot voting of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Teachers
    Accountants
    Solicitors
    Architects
    Doctors

Real robo cops need something here that can get some respect and if you dont you get punished.

To answer your question specifically... I think it's an overrated profession that can make ego maniacs out of people for imo no good reason.

"The Mensch" is credited with popularising and promoting Chefs as he felt it was unfair that they could not afford to eat in the establishments they worked in. I tend to agree. My old lad was friends with a lot of top chefs and they work unbelievably hard and for crazy hours. I have a lot, lot of time for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I dread the day some of these jobs are done by machines, be no work left if every job that can be done by a machine is done by a machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Car driving. I expect city and motorway driving will be controlled by central traffic computers, with the driver taking over on other roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Project Management

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

But they all go into the same bin? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Jaysus...have you never eaten in a good restaurant?

I dread the day some of these jobs are done by machines, be no work left if every job that can be done by a machine is done by a machine

If automated enough, the machines would generate wealth for people to not need to work. Could then have more leisure time and higher standards of living. Those interested could have more time for research into useful things like the future of the planet and we wouldn't have to hail to the almighty dollar much.

Too preachy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

90% of Event Stewarding (if you don't hold a security licence) can be replaced by either a no entry/fire escape sign or a small fence :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Teachers
    Accountants
    Solicitors
    Architects
    Doctors
    I'm nearly sure a couple of teachers I had in school were robots.

90% of Event Stewarding (if you don't hold a security licence) can be replaced by either a no entry/fire escape sign or a small fence :(

Tell that to Slane. And that was a high fence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Shelling prawns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Footing turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Spray painting cars.
    Truck,bus,taxi drivers :D

something to change my tv channel or type this without touching anything.

all these are practically available

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

But they all go into the same bin? :confused:

Because nowhere in the world has anyone been trustworthy enough to pre-sort them so they gave up and use 'single stream recycling'.

Advertisement