Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menial jobs that are still not done by machines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

“We should do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest. The youth of today are absolutely right in recognizing this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian Darwinian theory he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living.”

― R. Buckminster Fuller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Teachers
    Accountants
    Solicitors
    Architects
    Doctors

Actually accountants are top of the list for jobs that will be automated in 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Actually accountants are top of the list for jobs that will be automated in 10 years.

Not the creative ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I better start looking at a career change so :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Tell that to Slane. And that was a high fence...

You can't actually touch anybody if you don't have a Licence from the PSA, well you can if they initiate contact but your not a bouncer, I think thats why you hear about security standing back from stuff at events, their probably not licenced staff and have to call on response teams to handle situations.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Blocklaying, what a cnut of a job, that's a job that should be automated

whupdedo wrote: »
    Blocklaying, what a cnut of a job, that's a job that should be automated

Readymix, and shuttering...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭amacca

Anybody dislike machines doing things for them or enjoy doing things like cooking without thinking they'd like a machine to do it so they can spend more time masturbating?

amacca wrote: »
    Anybody dislike machines doing things for them or enjoy doing things like cooking without thinking they'd like a machine to do it so they can spend more time masturbating?

That you Mrs Doyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

This comment leads me to believe you have no idea of what an accountant actually does. Also the op has abviously never set foot inside of any commercial kitchen.

If it was a hotdog stand proprieter claiming they were a chef then maybe that could be automated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

McDonalds staff aren't far from being replaced id say.

All the food is exactly the same with little new menu items being added. Maybe a machine could be used to flip burgers.

Soldiers, robot soldiers could fight instead - man less drones already exist.

Maybe fishermen. Just program a ship to track and locate the fish nests then drag nets and catch all the little fellas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Sheep shearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nib wrote: »
    Footing turf.

Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Stripping and recovering silage pits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

As a robot, I resent the insinuation that we're taking all the jobs.
    It's just that we're better at some things because we're happy to do menial jobs
    for less pay.

I'm only paid 5 robo-credits a day to write provocative posts on boards.ie by my
    human task masters. They make a fortune off the adverts journalists are exposed to
    when lurking around the forums looking for stories to rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Cleaning toilets in nightclubs.. or anywhere really

I love all these "machines can do this" posts. Have a think on the machines you use, and just how breakable and fallible they are. And how much they rely on human supervision. Take a production machine - any you like. Say it makes "widgets", at a rate of 1000 an hour. And a fault occurs..and it bangs out 24,000 faulty widgets in a day, unless a person steps in and tweaks the thing. Or, there's a factory, and it uses a machine..that breaks and the whole factory grinds to a halt..and all the people stand there, waiting for the repairperson..happy days...

As a robot, I resent the insinuation that we're taking all the jobs. It's justify that we're better at some jobs because we're happy to do menial jobs

I'm only paid 5 robo-credits a day to write mildly offensive posts on boards.ie by my human task masters.

Machine error...call the repair man...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Cleaning the toilet , there's non stick frying pans for years ffs !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It seems to me that the average civil servant could be replaced with a very small shell-script. I'd rate an accountant at a few hundred lines of C, in all fairness. :)

• Advertisement

AA road watch presenter , record seven different tapes and just play them at random , in fact I think that Conor Faughnan guy probably automated it years ago and he's minted now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

You can't actually touch anybody if you don't have a Licence from the PSA

Not true. If you lay your hands on someone without their permission it is assault regardless of whether you hold a PSA licence or not.

Only the Garda have powers to use force under the various public order/ non-fatal offences against the persons acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Oops69 wrote: »
    AA road watch presenter , record seven different tapes and just play them at random , in fact I think that Conor Faughnan guy probably automated it years ago and he's minted now .

Conor is in fact one of the better ELIZAs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Oops69 wrote: »
    Cleaning the toilet , there's non stick frying pans for years ffs !

But the only non stick thing about non stick pans is the non stick coating.

It does not stick to the pan..

Fart near the coating and your down to the bare metal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

If chefs were automated you'd have under/over cooked meals, ridiculous amounts of waste/spillage and so many cases of food poisonings it just wouldn't be worth it ... also you'd probably find all sorts of shyte in your food - like bits of plastic or what not ...

just look at this stunning piece of automation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaN5r44o2zo

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

“We should do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest. The youth of today are absolutely right in recognizing this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian Darwinian theory he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living.”

― R. Buckminster Fuller

This is the best quote I've seen in a while, thank!

the_monkey wrote: »
    If chefs were automated you'd have under/over cooked meals, ridiculous amounts of waste/spillage and so many cases of food poisonings it just wouldn't be worth it ... also you'd probably find all sorts of shyte in your food - like bits of plastic or what not ...

Still, at least the robot wouldn't spit on your steak when you send it back for being under/ over cooked .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Ironing. Vacuuming is nearly though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Many IT workers could be replaced by a couple of programs. How hard would it be to write a program, to turn it off and back on again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

Fleshlights have ruined many a career!

Advertisement