Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Just to wet the appetites, this is Times Square at the moment.

We can only dream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Selfie overload on this webcam. Does look to be getting worse.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/?cam=tsstreet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

jimbis wrote: »

The track has shifted further east. Eastern Massachusetts will probably be getting the biggest dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The track has shifted further east. Eastern Massachusetts will probably be getting the biggest dumping.

Been following this, seems GFS is embarrassing itself with its forecasts. Totally underestimating snow totals for NYC and being too far east in its track.

Be interesting to see how it pans out. NAM model shows over 3 feet for NYC, EC around 18-24 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 35,841 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ahem!
    uksnowrisk.png
    my god, its beautiful.

Explain this to all us people who simply can't read weather maps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Predicting a fair amount of snow to lower levels but these charts are almost always over cooked unfortunately ;)

That must be 3kg of snow. From that height, that would break necks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

It's shows the probability of snowing depending on the colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Stayed in a log cabin at the weekend, took this on our family walk on Saturday

041a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Ahem!
    uksnowrisk.png
    my god, its beautiful.

I notice there's a diamond-shaped green spot hovering over east Meath, South Louth. Any reason to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

jimbis wrote: »

Just looking at NBC nightly news on ch505, Boston & NYC is closed down :eek:

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I notice there's a diamond-shaped green spot hovering over east Meath, South Louth. Any reason to this?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's where rainbows are born.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Weird the contrast in the NYC webcams. Some are in whiteout, yet in all the live ones there is a pretty substantial thaw on by the looks, little snow left on some (see the 47th and Broad cam).

EDIT: Looking at the temperatures, it's hardly a thaw! Must have increased the salting of the sidewalks at some point this evening.

V.Jealous of this all, one day I'll experience something like it!

John.Icy wrote: »
    Weird the contrast in the NYC webcams. Some are in whiteout, yet in all the live ones there is a pretty substantial thaw on by the looks, little snow left on some (see the 47th and Broad cam).

EDIT: Looking at the temperatures, it's hardly a thaw! Must have increased the salting of the sidewalks at some point this evening.

V.Jealous of this all, one day I'll experience something like it!

That's just the pre show, the main event is yet to arrive.Should hit in next few hours.
    4 inches a hour possible in places. Those cams will hardly show the best of it, best snow outside of city.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Just seen this on tele..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,119 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looks more snowy on the ny cams this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

MT's forecast this morning is for typical normal January weather. A squally wind for one day with some wintry showers. No alerts. No big snow falls. Rain by Friday. Game over yet again. I am disappointed. I am back in Donegal this evening and was looking forward to a snowy day or two. Met Eireann are going for a far more wintry setup. I wonder who is right??

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

legomaniac wrote: »
    MT's forecast this morning is for typical normal January weather. A squally wind for one day with some wintry showers. No alerts. No big snow falls. Rain by Friday. Game over yet again. I am disappointed. I am back in Donegal this evening and was looking forward to a snowy day or two. Met Eireann are going for a far more wintry setup. I wonder who is right??

I would place my money on MT, we will see with the Met updates on the website later today. Looking at the charts in FI. start of feb to middle of feb will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Here's a live stream from Queens NY for anyone interested. http://youtu.be/-WV2jJKHVw0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I would place my money on MT, we will see with the Met updates on the website later today. Looking at the charts in FI. start of feb to middle of feb will be the same.

I would be more inclined to go the other way. the met office uk have also warnings out for the north of the country. from my experience the west of the country always does well from a cold north westerly snow wise. it may not last long however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

jds0ur wrote: »
    Here's a live stream from Queens NY for anyone interested. http://youtu.be/-WV2jJKHVw0

anyone have a good link for boston live stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

I guess I won't be getting the sled out for the grandkids so this week. It is very disappointing. Even last week's snow event only gave about 2 cm here in South Donegal and that was gone in one day. We haven't had a decent snowfall here since Dec 2000! The winter of 2010 was severe cold and frost but only gave about 3 cm of snow here. I am expecting heavy squally showers of hail and thunder tomorrow with some snow on the mountains. I wonder who is forecasting correctly... MT or Met Eireann? Two very different forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

You're a right barrel of laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I guess I won't be getting the sled out for the grandkids so this week. It is very disappointing. Even last week's snow event only gave about 2 cm here in South Donegal and that was gone in one day. We haven't had a decent snowfall here since Dec 2000! The winter of 2010 was severe cold and frost but only gave about 3 cm of snow here. I am expecting heavy squally showers of hail and thunder tomorrow with some snow on the mountains. I wonder who is forecasting correctly... MT or Met Eireann? Two very different forecasts.
    pram1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

same as what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looking at the hills here there is still blobs of snow left, I often heard that if there is a little bit of snow on the hills it is waiting for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Quick visit
    Latest BBC news 24 forecast has a lot of snow , the most wenesday night Thursday entering Mayo to South Donegal
    White out conditions there,less in mid or East Donegal at that time

Cork city westwards is on target still from Thursday to Sunday but watch out for warm sectors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

friday is still looking good
    gfs-0-72.png?6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭Speak Now

friday is still looking good

Nothing remarkable there really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement