Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks very interesting, air is quite modified but with low thickness heavy precip will drag down the snow-line.

Probably a chance of a polar low type feature as we head towards late next weekend and early next Week.

This spell appears like it has been driven by a cross polar flow that is starting to develop now in the stratosphere.. the polar vortex does re-organise, however very interesting signs towards mid February with the polar vortex shunted towards Russia.

Likely a proper Atlantic block/ greenland high setting up then. Of course straospheric signals do not always propagate down through the troposphere but there is a strong signal that February could deliver the goods.

So brief synopses... potential 5 day north/northwesterly... return to zonality with chance of some storm systems into early February... then potential prolonged cold snap setting up from around mid Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Will have more time for posting later.
    For now all I can say is wow!!!!
    Widespread heavy snow showers from wed morning for at least 48hours

Then a reload a day later

Guys forgetting about 2010 this is about as good as it gets!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

The blocking/cold could remain in place for longer than 5 days Weathercheck.No sign of a return to zonal on ecm. All to play for. Met office have a snow warning out for NI for Wed/Thur. It's not very often they release a snow warning this early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Marginal...

2015012818_20.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Latest from RTE
    nat_today.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Latest from RTE
    nat_today.jpg

Thats actually funny to look at. SNOW EVERYWHERE:eek:!
    It looks like the cork snow barrier may be breached again. We need an indepeadant review in to why this is happening:D

Cuntryfile weather suggests 4-5 days of bitterly cold weather. Lots of snow potential .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Cuntryfile weather suggests 4-5 days of bitterly cold weather. Lots of snow potential .

Yes by the Weekend he says there will be viking winds coming from the Norwegian seas :eek:

Pangea wrote: »
    Yes by the Weekend he says there will be viking winds coming from the Norwegian seas :eek:

Cool, I though he said Vikings Kings coming from the Norwegian seas.

That a wishful thinking photoshop. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

MOD NOTE

Just a a little reminder that all view points are welcome , attacking another poster because he/she does not agree with your viewpoint OR WISHES ! will result in warnings , infractions

Im on the fence with this one at the moment , Ive been around these parts long enough to have seen these type of set ups go wrong, also worries me the Old Su Campu is not on board :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Carnacalla wrote: »
    It looks like the cork snow barrier may be breached again. We need an indepeadant review in to why this is happening:D

That's how we know it was photoshopped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

A very conservative forecast by RTE after the 9 news. Rain symbols for Thursday and Friday. Based on this I am sticking to my hunch that this snow and cold forecasted for this coming week is hype. I am backing that statement by making reference to that most recent Met Eireann forecast.

legomaniac wrote: »
    A very conservative forecast by RTE after the 9 news. Rain symbols for Thursday and Friday. Based on this I am sticking to my hunch that this snow and cold forecasted for this coming week is hype. I am backing that statement by making reference to that most recent Met Eireann forecast.

IMO this is how you pass your point intelligently. I'm not back seat modding, but this is how to do it. Not call it a non-event.

The Met Eireann website is forecasting Widespread snow on Thursday night, let's see if it changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Well if they are forecasting widespread snow on their website, why not mention it on their main evening tv forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ahhhhh here, that's photoshopped, it has to be. naughty person who would do such a thing. that's evil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

I actually think they might be a day out of sync, with the coldest day actually looking like Wednesday, not Thursday. Those widespread showers should be on Wednesday night.
    Tuesday: Apart from the occasional shower most of the day will be dry and bright. Highest temperatures of 7 to 9 degrees in moderate westerly breezes. Rain spreading eastwards later in the night.

Wednesday: Cold, windy and showery for the day. Many of the showers will merge to longer spells of rain across Connacht, Ulster and west Munster; the showers will tend to be less frequent over the eastern side of Ireland.

Thursday: Becoming colder with many of the showers turning wintry; snow lying on the higher ground. Daytime temperatures of 2 to 5 degrees in moderate northwesterly winds. More widespread falls of snow overnight as temperatures drop below freezing.

Friday: A cold, bright day in northerly winds. Showers becoming more isolated, but still remaining wintry. Highest temperatures of 5 to 7 degrees and severe frost overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Is the East of the country due to get any snow from this next spell ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

One major criticism I have of met Eireann and I've said it before is there seems to be no consistency or quality control in their message on different platforms or even between different forecasters
    Warnings issued at the last minute, not just for snow events but for wind or rain too
    Sometimes Someone should be in charge in there,you'd swear at times nobody is.
    It's a very haphazard delivery at some crucial times.
    But they get away with it.

This looks like a very wintry episode to me but without northern blocking it will break down to be followed by stormy episodes as a result of all that cold air exiting north America again :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Is the East of the country due to get any snow from this next spell ?
    It's stronger than 2 weeks ago and possible features could bring snow to the east including an Irish sea circulation that turns up from run to run affecting wind direction
    Also tonight's ecm next weekend has multiple lows dropping from Scandinavia, if modeled correctly that has the effect of tweaking winds NNE at times too throwing Irish sea streamers onto the east coast maybe but we'll see
    That might be complicated by warm sectors though,who knows until near the time
    The more certain focus though is on the areas Kermit has mentioned not the east but with the caveat that the extra strength in this may see a covering from the initial N or NW flow to say as far SE as Dublin and Kildare
    Let's see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

NY metro area looking at a potential historic snowstorm. 30+ inches with strong winds. Blizzards, massive drifting on the cards. We should be seeing some amazing pictures/videos from that...regardless of what happens here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

NY metro area looking at a potential historic snowstorm. 30+ inches with strong winds. Blizzards, massive drifting on the cards. We should be seeing some amazing pictures/videos from that...regardless of what happens here.

Can't wait to see youtube videos and pictures of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Was here to post about this.

Record cold potential for New England.
    https://twitter.com/ryanmaue/status/559423830809006080

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just on wetterzentral and this big freeze doesn't actually look like happening - or maybe its just being oversold a bit by the met office across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭pauldry

As suspected the jan 13 snow was not the end

THeres plenty left. Trust me.

All parts will see snow showers this week but think ulster n north connaught most inches

I think therel be 3 or 4 more snow events this winter yet as I believe feb we will freeze

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Just on wetterzentral and this big freeze doesn't actually look like happening - or maybe its just being oversold a bit by the met office across the water.

Big freeze mike?? confused.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

(who?!)

Well listening to Tomas "Schafnpafner" on the Countryfile forecast he was almost suggesting a snowy apocalypse and that it would be digging in for several days - that's a big freeze in my book!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The postman was right! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Lucreto wrote: »
    Can't wait to see youtube videos and pictures of this.

Should be interesting to see if the forecasts verify. Highest snowfall ever recorded in NYC going back to the 1880's is 26.9 inches. Current forecast :

B8Ow0huCAAANLAw.png

• Advertisement

Can you imagine waking up in the morning with 30inches of snow in your garden? I would be shocked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement