Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

yeah same in drogheda...lots of estates with frost still there were the sun has shadowed. its going to be even worse tonight :)
    stay safe people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Nice cap of snow on Nephin.

332959.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A beautiful winters day here, frost still lying about and nice winter sunshine, a perfect day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

La'hinch is beaming with winter sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

At no stage since last night, did even a flake of frost hit the grass in the garden. A few puddles turned to ice before turning to water again shortly after the sun rose. Id be surprised if temperatures even went below 0c here last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

already -1 here in oughterard co galway gonna be a cold one tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Pangea wrote: »
    A beautiful winters day here, frost still lying about and nice winter sunshine, a perfect day.

Its a pity this frosty High is not lasting a bit longer, lovely weather for walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Its a pity this frosty High is not lasting a bit longer, lovely weather for walking.

Indeed. Myself and the dog had a 3 hour walk today in a bog near Spiddal and the views were epic. I was frozen at the start but toasty by the end. I love these cold blue sky days over any others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Always amusing to see Iceland warmer than parts of Ireland, and yes lovely walking weather much nicer than height of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

Freezing in Monaghan today, frost barely lifted and not at all in the shadows, puddles iced over already, tis going to be a cold one tonight.

tumblr_nhb1ouU4uS1qa16vbo1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

temps at the minute
    temp_uk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

-4.7 c in Athenry this morning according to Siobhan Ryan on the 6.1 forecast just there. Think this will be beaten no problem tonight somewhere with -3.0 c already in Gurteen.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i would love a couple weeks of this cold dry weather, when sun shine in windows it heat up the home, and going for a walk is heaven today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Most of the frost in st Stephens green never even melted today. It was 2 degrees this afternoon in Dublin city centre

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Most of the frost in st Stephens green never even melted today. It was 2 degrees this afternoon in Dublin city centre

It got to 5.5C here in the southern foothills and last's nights groundfrost was gone by dawn - but now it's -1.1C and dropping like a feather.

The sun disappears behind the hills here at 2.40pm these days, so the quickest cooling takes place between 3 and 4pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

At the parents house for the Xmas in Murrisk, west Mayo. Was calm and freezing around 6pm. Now there's a breeze and I don't think its freezing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

Carton house was a picture of beauty today so white I drank extra wine just for the scenery. you cant put a price on seasonality this time of year. have not seen these hard frosts since 2009, 2010. its surely better than mild muck being dragged through the house. its still December and just one surprise snowfall in the right synoptics could make the difference to some ones winter. keep the faith folks.
    ps my smileys vanished. can anyone point me in the right direction? cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Shows how stuck we are for cold weather when people are getting excited after one night of frosty weather.........

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Frost remained in shaded areas for the day.

-0.9C in Greystones, Wicklow atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temperature Rising here in Clare, it was -0.5c at 7:00, but since 8:35 its rising, and its now 0.1c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The coldest night of 2014 in Galway City :)

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Temperature Rising here in Clare, it was -0.5c at 7:00, but since 8:35 its rising, and its now 0.1c.

Some cloud spoiling your party from the Atlantic.

Satellite%20Weather%20UK%20%20Weather%20Forecast%20UK%20%20Rainfall%20%20Lightning%20Strikes%20%20Clouds%20%20Sun%20%20%20Source%20%20SAT24.com%20%28Desk-PC%27s%20conflicted%20copy%202014-12-28%29.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

Baldonell airfield reporting -4 deg C temp / -4 Dewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

Dublin Airport reporting -3 Deg C Temp / -3 Dewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Mech1 wrote: »
    Dublin Airport reporting -3 Deg C Temp / -3 Dewpoint

Yes on the evening that Dublin Airport is recording a low of -3oC at just 9pm, they are chucking their toys out of the pram left, right and centre on NetWeather UK as the latest charts are showing double digit temps next week with mild muck coming in from the Atlantic. Apparently the winter is now over and it is only the 28th December!! It is getting so emotional that the moderators have had to intervene. I think folks over on the UK boards need to adjust their expectations for snow big time or they are in for a big disappointment!! Given Ireland and Britain are small islands located at the end of the jet stream in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, the odds of getting sustained deep cold are always going to be stacked against us!!

D

derekon wrote: »
    Yes on the evening that Dublin Airport is recording a low of -3oC at just 9pm, they are chucking their toys out of the pram left, right and centre on NetWeather UK as the latest charts are showing double digit temps next week with mild muck coming in from the Atlantic. Apparently the winter is now over and it is only the 28th December!! It is getting so emotional that the moderators have had to intervene. I think folks over on the UK boards need to adjust their expectations for snow big time or they are in for a big disappointment!! Given Ireland and Britain are small islands located at the end of the jet stream in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, the odds of getting sustained deep cold are always going to be stacked against us!!

D

With two months left!?! :confused:

That's just plain silly....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think the folk in the UK don't realise how good they have it compared to us especially when it comes to snow and high summer temperatures, we get the rawest deal of them all most winters and summers compared to them.

As for claiming winter is over, those worries usually should not start till the 3rd week of February when the window of opportunity starts closing fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

-2.4c oughterard galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Have to disagree with above posts.
    Models are all agreeing on zonal as far as reliable period which is 7 -10 days. First half of Winter then over

After all the hype of SAI'S and OPI toy throwing is understandable. As far as I am concerned a memorable Winter is beyond us now.
    We can of course get a decent cold spell still but there is a difference and back in October a 2010 type winter looked a possibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think the folk in the UK don't realise how good they have it compared to us especially when it comes to snow and high summer temperatures, we get the rawest deal of them all most winters and summers compared to them.

As for claiming winter is over, those worries usually should not start till the 3rd week of February when the window of opportunity starts closing fast.

Warmer temperatures in uk compared to Ireland only really apply to the south east of England. Most of the rest of the uk gets similar weather to Dublin in particular. Scotland get worse summers than Ireland, been travelling to Edinburgh for years and they get a lot more rain than Dublin! As for snowier winters, that really applies to Scotland and parts of the midlands. London gets very little snow, I have friends working in London for years and say they say snow is rare, rather like Ireland. If it does snow, it rarely sticks for more than a day or two.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement