Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Got to -3.1C here by dawn; lowest of 2014. Frost still lingering and ground frozen in the shade despite the temp having risen to 6.5C!

Calm, clear and sunny.

First race at Leopardstown cancelled; then they started at 1pm; nowhere escapes the sun on that course!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

4c here in lapis but the frost and Ice is sticking relatively well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Oymyakon is the place to be!!!
    qxp5kuc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not sure about home, but here around work in Clonskeagh/ Ranelagh, frost is still anywhere in the shade. If all of winter was days like this, I'd be happy enough even without snow tbh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

frost is melting here quickly now in all but the most sheltered areas. Roads are mostly fine except for sections of the side roads which are still quite slippy in places as the frost melts. Everything should be totally gone by the dawn as we will be into another mild regime by then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

A low of -3.4C in Greystones last night. Still have a good bit of frost amount the place atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

still loads of frost in drogheda. only in areas were it was shaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Carnacalla wrote: »
    In those counties mentioned? Clare was mentioned! Clare herald even wrote an article.
    BTW I'm about 2miles in from the coast

If your 2 miles from the coast you should expect temperatures to be milder than inland on a frosty night in Winter. I don't see what you're so shocked about. I'm sure areas further in land in Clare were colder. Last night was the coldest night of the year in Ireland

If your 2 miles from the coast you should expect temperatures to be milder than inland on a frosty night in Winter. I don't see what you're so shocked about. I'm sure areas further in land in Clare were colder. Last night was the coldest night of the year in Ireland

I did expect temperatures to be milder, but not 9c milder! Most of Clare is near the coast due to it's shape, and yet it had a weather warning. In fairness, Ennis has a bit of frost.

We had frost on Sunday morning, far more than this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

They give warnings for counties as a whole, they don't break them up in to subsections. You're just nit picking. Sorry it wasn't frosty in your back yard. The warning they released was accurate as the temperatures recorded prove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Recorded my lowest temperature of this winter last night. - 0.2. South Kerry about 50m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

-1.8 for me in Dublin 4.
    Wasn't expecting that low I'm only 800mtrs from the sea.

Frost lay in the shade for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I did expect temperatures to be milder, but not 9c milder! Most of Clare is near the coast due to it's shape, and yet it had a weather warning. In fairness, Ennis has a bit of frost.

We had frost on Sunday morning, far more than this morning.

The best chance of getting a good hard frost along the outer west coast is when winds are coming in from between NE & SE. This will help to dampen down the affects of the maritime warmth a little that usually keeps temps there a bit higher than elsewhere on a frosty night.

I think the wind direction was more NE the night before so that is most likely why you got a harder frost than last night, which had the wind coming in from a more southerly direction.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

frost really bad here again despite a mildish temp of 2C.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    frost really bad here again despite a mildish temp of 2C.

Yeah im down around Slane area and the back roads are treacherous

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Yeah im down around Slane area and the back roads are treacherous

Thats what she said :pac:

Hardly anything here in Naas

I'm in abbyleix in laois for the night and there is a very hard frost down now. Car windows covered in ice, foot paths and roads turning even more frosty, and they were all day. Big contrast to when I left Clare earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

The microclimate in my area has resulted in horrendously icy roads that have not cleared in over 48 hours. Still like glass outside. Temp is 1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

A 9 degree shift in temps over the last 24 hours here in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jd1594

Got to -3.1C here by dawn; lowest of 2014. Frost still lingering and ground frozen in the shade despite the temp having risen to 6.5C!

Calm, clear and sunny.

First race at Leopardstown cancelled; then they started at 1pm; nowhere escapes the sun on that course!

I was working at Leopardstown over the festival. 6.5C yesterday felt like 15C considering the previous days I was outside all day.

Feels a lot more milder today, but that could be my body still getting used to positive temps again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

Did not get too cold last night but the hoar frost and ice was as bad as the preceeding 2 mornings. Was 4.3c leaving the house at around 10:30 and the sun was beaming down on the road outside but it was showing little sign of melting. Car thermometer agreed with the weather station and was showing 4c. By the time I got to Lucan on the M4, car thermo was showing 8c and all was green however as I drove down into the valley of Chapelizod (and its associated inversion) at about 11am, it all became white again and the temperature dropped by 3c from 8c to 5c within a few seconds.
    20141230_101946_zpsf6ade7fe.jpg
    20141230_102856_zpsf15f8f4f.jpg
    20141230_101955_zps28b584bd.jpg
    20141230_005252_zps86eceecd.jpg

great photos highdef.......loads of frost still in shaded areas of drogheda.

everything totally gone here now over past hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looking poor for any kind of extended period of cold/snowy weather on the GEFS today. Just the typical short dips below -5 on the 850mb temps.

uD7M27p.jpg

All eyes now will be on the forecasted strat warming to see if that aids in delivering something interesting in January.

little or no frost left now in drogheda :(
    all eyes for some mountain snow on friday :) small chance but hope its there

I really hope were not setting up for the 4th dead duck of a winter in a row! the next 2 weeks at least have nothing interesting to show at all but there is still the second half of January and February to play for!

I really hope were not setting up for the 4th dead duck of a winter in a row! the next 2 weeks at least have nothing interesting to show at all but there is still the second half of January and February to play for!

this winter so is 100 times better than last winter. we still have jan,feb and dare i say it march. alot can happen. also lets see wat comes off of the stratospheric warming thats taken place. i dont fully understand it but there is a lot of stratospheric warming at the min. it is similar to the 2010 strat warming that helped us out with the snow and cold we ended up getting.
    from wat i understand wen there is stratospheric warming cold cold weather normally comes our way 1 week to 2 weeks later.
    correct me if im wrong anyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

2 years ago wasn't a dead duck by Irish standards.

Plenty snow around 2 years ago.

There was plenty in the UK and NI 2 years ago but from what I can remember we had a few light dustings during the cold March 2012 period. There hasn't been any decent snow in Meath since Christmas day 2010 apart from the odd very short lived overnight dusting too late in the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

There was plenty in the UK and NI 2 years ago but from what I can remember we had a few light dustings during the cold March 2012 period. There hasn't been any decent snow in Meath since Christmas day 2010 apart from the odd very short lived overnight dusting too late in the season.

Ah right depends on location, had at least 2 if not 3 falls here in Waterford.
    Didnt even see sleet last year but 4 of the previous 5 winters delivered for an area long forgotten about by the snow gods :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement