Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Lowest temp here has been -1.8C. I'm less than 10 miles further inland and much higher up than Markree, our low temps usually seem to be higher than the low ground in winter but not in summer. Currently -0.3C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Katesbridge in county Down -9 at 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

7am waterford city

Temp -3.1

Do -3.8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The snow lovers appreciation society winter 2014/15 is the title of the thread and lets be honest last night was hardly a snow lovers wonderland. There was a hard frost there without a hint of snow just as there is on a regular enough basis over the course of any winter. It was a cold one allright but really not in any way exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

just saw BBC weather said Katesbridge -9 was the coldest temperature recorded in 2014 In Ireland and uk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Overnight min -3.9c. Without checking back through my records i would imagine the lowest recorded since the big freeze in 2010

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Overnight low of -3.7c here (in south Dublin). Lowest temp recorded here since 22.01.13 (when -4.0c was recorded).

I see Mullingar reporting -7c at 0800.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Got to -6 here in North Kildare overnight. Enjoying it while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

The snow lovers appreciation society winter 2014/15 is the title of the thread and lets be honest last night was hardly a snow lovers wonderland. There was a hard frost there without a hint of snow just as there is on a regular enough basis over the course of any winter. It was a cold one allright but really not in any way exceptional.

Wondering why a snow appreciation thread would be active with hardly a cloud in the sky and mild southerlies on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Most of those were tabloids which are a joke. Met were correct, in those counties mentioned, frost has been present for last two days
    In those counties mentioned? Clare was mentioned! Clare herald even wrote an article.
    BTW I'm about 2miles in from the coast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

-4.6 in Laytown this morning. Unusually cold for the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

-3.3c here last night oughterard galway

Very Christmas like here beside the park in lucan, out for a run in it now

Carnacalla wrote: »
    In those counties mentioned? Clare was mentioned! Clare herald even wrote an article.

And who did Clare use for their source?

There was frost in Clare yesterday I thought?
    And they can't be specific per small.area of every county.

Yesterday had frost at this time. Sadly very little this morning. Only very sheltered areas have it this morning.

If you are asking who the Clare herald used as a source, then I would guess met eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Beautiful morning here in the north east, clear, crisp and sunny, you couldn't ask for better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pad199207

Breeze here in Naas since early this morning lifted temps to 1c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

That's cold at -5

Carnacalla wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭SuprSi

We had a very unexpected surprise on Friday night. After spending the morning in the Peak District on a long, very cold walk, we had lunch and came home. We dropped the dog off, walked into the local village and had a few pints, returning home at around 16:30. It had started raining, very cold rain, but we didn't think anything of it.

At around 20:00 I got a shout from wifey who was upstairs and thought it weird how bright it was outside. When I looked out I couldn't believe what I was seeing! A quick change into my winter gear for a bit of exploring;

DSC_0144.JPG

I went out for a walk with the dog at around 23:00 and we must have had 5 or 6 inches of pure powder. It was fantastic! I walked around the estate, noticed a couple of flashes of lightning, which were followed by 2 power cuts. I helped a couple of drivers move their stuck cars, witnessed an Eddie Stobart 18-wheeler almost lose it driving too quickly through a roundabout, and had about an hours fun on untouched snow.

The next morning it had stopped but it was a beautiful sight;

DSC_0147.JPG

The dog absolutely loves it;

DSC_0146.JPG

It's treacherous now though - temperatures well below zero, roads frozen, and no sign of a thaw in sight. No further snow expected but there's still enough of it around to have fun in!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

17c temp gradient/difference across the island of Ireland at the moment with Sherkin reporting 9c and Katesbridge reporting -8c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Frost still hasn't melted off the roofs near Bray seafront.

Off on a trek today to the Midlands, and even though the frost was very disappointing, about 20-25km out the road there was some amazing frost in places sheltered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Still -1.5 here. Would imagine driveway will be bright for the day, sun too low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Remember to feed the little birds folks!

I love hard frosts like these, there are a lot of bugs going around at the moment and I always feel these hard frosts help kill them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brrrrr! Cloudy and cold (1.5) - the worst mix!

At the moment I'm on the m7 past roscrea, and we entered a patch of fog which has kept the area very cold, there are big bodies of water covered with Ice, quite nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭alentejo

big rise in temp in Dublin. Now +5c and you can certainly feel it. Slight wind which will warm things up too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

temp_uk.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement