Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any reports from the Wicklow mountain area? Temps here are too high for wintry precip at the moment here but maybe a couple of hundred meters up its different?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

A rise in temperature, the hard frost from last night is gone, and we have No Snow in north meath, just good old rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rain here in Naas but there are a few flakes mixed in hitting the veluxes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Tomorrow is not without interest as a band of sleet and snow could move South over the country. Looks to be quite light and patchy but HAS potential to upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

http://www.dmi.dk/uploads/tx_dmidatastore/webservice/b/4/8/3/a/549cd9cba384b.gif

Looks like the eastern 2/3 of the country getting the precipitation on the hirlam for 3pm tomorrow.
    Hopefully a few rogue showers down the west coast after dark as well.
    Tomorrow is not without interest as a band of sleet and snow could move South over the country. Looks to be quite light and patchy but HAS potential to upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Snowing here now near knock airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

I'm at the Co louth mountain range no snow. Yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Supercell wrote: »
    Any reports from the Wicklow mountain area?
    Sleety rain near Roundwood at approx 230m asl. Can see a fair way up, and no sign of a snow line. Cloud low enough so can't see too high at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Sleety rain near Roundwood at approx 230m asl. Can see a fair way up, and no sign of a snow line. Cloud low enough so can't see too high at the moment.

Cheers, I reckon you might seem some lying snow in the next 24-36 hours there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Just leaving cavan town now and it's sleat that's falling, it is v cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

2.9c here (nr. Roundwood) with sleety rain @ 250m asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

any one down in killarney direction? the mountains surrounding the town look stunning when there's snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Snowing in Cavan for the last hour I'd say, everywhere is so wet though it just looks miserable :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Such a waste of beautiful precipitation today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

No waste here in southern poland. Had about 10-15cm so far today! And still bucketing down!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

snaps wrote: »
    No waste here in southern poland. Had about 10-15cm so far today! And still bucketing down!

Getting dark now, but attached a photo from my mobile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Raining here, temp between 3 and 4 degrees all morning, cloud down to about 600m and no sign of anything wintery at that elevation.

According to WU it's snowing over a fairly large area from Westport and Castlebar across much of Mayo over to Cavan Town, all over counties Leitrim, Longford - as far south as Mullingar and north into the southern part of Fermanagh.

Temperatures would indicate that at low levels it's of the non-stick variety but there must be many raised areas getting a covering,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Alot of cross posting between this thread and the other... maybe an idea to stick to one for current events?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    Any reports from the Wicklow mountain area? Temps here are too high for wintry precip at the moment here but maybe a couple of hundred meters up its different?

Heavy snow falling at the gates to Kippure about half an hour ago...

C27A7494B6264957A090C98B9BF445E3-0000335757-0003709041-00640L-121ED000CD1743D58512521937B2FB11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Heavy snow falling at the gates to Kippure about half an hour ago...

C27A7494B6264957A090C98B9BF445E3-0000335757-0003709041-00640L-121ED000CD1743D58512521937B2FB11.jpg

It's amazing how localised weather can be. I'm at the base of 3 rock, not that far away though lower I grant you and we've had horrible, really heavy, blobby rain for hours - its ever so slightly sleety but nothing close to your photo Docarch. Here it's depressing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sleety rain here, miserable and only 2C, this was so close to being a snow event. Meanwhile Knock is reporting moderate rain at 0C and Cork/Kerry is 10-12C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

@weatherfiend it's probably wet snow very near where you are,the change from rain to sleet to snow would be very quick,literally within quarterof a mile climbing
    nature is amazing,I reckon the snow line might drop to your level
    Wouldn't surprise me if the snow at the Kippure gate is a foot deep by tomorrow evening too

@Docarch thanks for the photo
    Might risk heading down N11 later and on up to the military road I suspect by then the area above glenmalure to be PLASTERED
    In fact we might meet the snow not far above Kilmacanogue

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Sleety snow in sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Played footie out in the pi$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Up slieve foy Co louth today.no snow up to 350asl up just sleety rain, then up at 450asl bang, snow started heavy. only stayed at the top for 15 min couldn't see more that 20 feet ahead and wind chill was savage. More pics later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Well jel

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

<snip> It looks like snow/sleet/hail showers are possible here in west Munster tonight, as well as Connacht and Ulster.

From Met Eireann
    Tonight there will be scattered rain, hail or sleet showers mainly over the north and west. There is the risk of snow showers over higher ground. It will become mostly dry and cold elsewhere with good clear spells. Moderate northerly winds will fall light for a time with mist or fog patches forming but winds become moderate westerly by morning. Lowest temperatures of -2 to +3 degrees, coldest in the east and north with widespread frost and icy stretches.

For the next few days, Cold Days and nights may lead to a late white christmas:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Exactly what we needed. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

I'm laughing at Met Eireann's forecast for Munster as of 16.30 this evening... "Breezy this evening but largely dry, with patchy light rain dying out. Tonight will be cold with clear spells and scattered showers of rain and hail."

I'm in Cork and it's turning into a bit of wild wind evening... so 'breezy' a tree has blown down a tree onto the M8 near Glanmire. :D

From Twitter:AA Roadwatch @aaroadwatch · 31m 31 minutes ago
    CORK: There are reports of a tree on the M8 Dublin/ Cork Rd at J18 Glanmire. Take care on approach. http://TheAA.ie/Roadwatch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Not that it affects us, but given it's only 100 miles away or so - Liverpool Airport has about 4cm of lying snow on the runways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement