Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My prediction regarding snow is plenty of the white stuff in the North and West and nada further South :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Exactly what happened in 2000, just a couple of days after Christmas the snow came. Remember it looking very festive and of a much higher standard than anything we got back in 2010, and almost as cold.

332436.png

choom, choom;)
    i'm not sure of it being of a higher standard, unless you mean by that it was more of a nationwide event and the fact it lasted over Christmas week. my criteria for a high standard is the depth of snow and the cold, and while 2000 was a good event, 2010 event eclipsed it on those terms. ... just looking out the window now is a reminder of how memorable this time 4 years ago was.:( still if we were guranteed an event like that one every year, the precious white stuff might lose its charm.

as for current events, i'm not getting too hung up on a strat warming occuring, as despite all the promising so called background signals there is no definite sign of a strat warming happening in January. as we all know by now, for anything other than the normal northern topplers to occur, we really need this to happen. otherwise the polar vortex, even if its not nearly as robust as last year, will move to its favourite location and keep the atlantic active enough to send low pressures over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I feel it's only fair to warn you all, we've just bought a new toboggan for the kids as a Christmas present. The last time we did this - 2010.

We'll be practising our tobagganing skills on the sitting room floor until early January when I expect the real snow to arrive.

Happy Christmas all!

Pics please of the practice runs as well of any real runs ;);):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Fully understanding how inaccurate car temperature readings are....mine says 15 today. Haven't seen that since October...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

I'd be happy, in fact I'd be delighted if there was some snow up in the Dublin Mountains, up along the military road, that's easy to access and will tick my box if we are lucky enough to get it and MT said it is a likelihood I think at that level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

i'm not sure of it being of a higher standard, unless you mean by that it was more of a nationwide event and the fact it lasted over Christmas week. my criteria for a high standard is the depth of snow and the cold, and while 2000 was a good event, 2010 event eclipsed it on those terms.

The cold snap in 2000 was much shorter of course, but proportionately, it snowed more frequently and more intensely in that 4 day spell when compared to the cold spells of both November & December 2010 is sort of what I meant.

It is true that we did pretty pretty well in the snow distribution department in 2010, but to see snow actually falling was pretty rare during that period. Most of the time (it seems to me anyway) it was just bitterly cold and foggy with any notable amounts of precipitation/snow being confined to just a few days. :)

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

Ah now
    It snowed every day for a week in Dublin in the middle of the 2010 spell with 18'' on the ground in suburban S Dublin and that's being compared to a 4 day spell in 2000?

2000 wasn't even trotting after it in comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

It's interesting to compare the 2000 snowfall and the big freeze of 2010 here in South Donegal. The snow in 2000 fell during the night of the 27th and there were further flurries during the 28th. I measured 6" on open level ground with drifts of up to 2 feet. It was cold for the next 4 days and the thaw set in on new years day. The big freeze of 2010 brought many severe frosts with Castlederg nearby recording -18. But the snow wasn't that deep... about 2"

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

I'm in South Donegal too.

For some reason i cannot for the life of me remember the 2000 event. I must have been away.

But you're spot on with 2010.

Snow cover was thin, in fact I think it only actually snowed once where I live. It was the crazy long term freeze that was most impressive.

Ah now
    It snowed every day for a week in Dublin in the middle of the 2010 spell with 18'' on the ground in suburban S Dublin and that's being compared to a 4 day spell in 2000?

i think he means from a local perspective- where he lives he fared better in terms of snow depth in 2000, than in 2010, and in the frequency of snow falls. You and I did better in 2010, so from our point of view 2010 was better.

Another factor about 2010 that made it unusual,is some places in ireland and indeed parts of Scotland, which usually would have got a lot of snow from an arctic outbreak, got surprisingly little.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

shmaupel wrote: »
    I'm in South Donegal too.

For some reason i cannot for the life of me remember the 2000 event. I must have been away.

But you're spot on with 2010.

Snow cover was thin, in fact I think it only actually snowed once where I live. It was the crazy long term freeze that was most impressive.

Confused by your post. I'm also in Donegal and we had over a foot of snow from the cold spell in 2010. It pretty much all fell with in a 24hour period but it wasn't a thin cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I made this last year, sadly its still relevant :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GFS P is still offering hope for snow lovers this weekend. Inland areas in the northwest best suited. Be warned though, other models are not as favorable as this, it may not happen at all.

gfs-2-132.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Walked up Bray Head then down to Greystones for breakfast this morning, 3 days to Christmas and I did it in a tshirt because it felt like a spring day heading towards Summer :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Confused by your post. I'm also in Donegal and we had over a foot of snow from the cold spell in 2010. It pretty much all fell with in a 24hour period but it wasn't a thin cover.

I'm sure you did. I remember having to go to a funeral outside Donegal town during that episode and snow falling in over the top of my boots making my way through deep snow to the graveside.

But at the risk of stating the obvious, the county is huge and conditions vary :-)

I live at the beach. We can go years without snow while our close neighbours on higher ground get some pretty much every year.

Lucky b@stards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Ah now

I wasn't talking about south Dublin, sorry. I was talking about my own patch, so unsure where you thought I was comparing south Dublin with Galway? :confused:

And yes, we had many weeks of snow on the ground in 2010 here too, with temps not rising above freezing for many many days, so as cold, if not colder than south Dublin, but you are completely missing my point, a point I have already made twice and shan't be making again.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I watched the weather on RTE at 6pm and it didn't seem very exciting at all.
    Christmas Day does look nice - cold and bright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

It is true that we did pretty pretty well in the snow distribution department in 2010, but to see snow actually falling was pretty rare during that period.

It snowed on 17 days here between Nov 28th and Dec 23rd!

The ground was fully or partially snow-covered from Nov 28th to December 27th.

Twice, in late Nov/early Dec, and again in the week before Christmas the snow accumulated to over 25cm on undisturbed ground!

Never seen a month like it....

A twitch of hope..Met Eireann just now:
    Beyond St Stephen's day the outlook becomes much more uncertain. At the moment it looks like St Stephen's day will be dry to start with rain developing from the west later in freshening southerly winds. It looks likely to become milder again too but there is a large degree of uncertainty in the atmosphere beyond the short range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Where do you see hope in that.
    You need to repost that in the mild thread 😁

On a lighter note, NewGrange failed again on the winter solstice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The forecast at 00.30 on BBC was interesting, well at least in regards the second scenario for St. Stephens day as we could be looking at very strong winds and a possibility of snow if the front tracks southerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Met Eireann are giving no snow at the moment, cold, storms, hail, sleet but no mention of snow...... I think it might be into Jan before we see any snow if at all this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QM6_GqVWjA

if something on this scale ever occurred here, there would be not so civil war breaking out on this forum, for those who still had internet access.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The charts last week looks so promising, ah well, at least Christmas day will be nice and cold.

Nabber wrote: »
    Where do you see hope in that.
    You need to repost that in the mild thread 😁

On a lighter note, NewGrange failed again on the winter solstice.

There actually is a mild thread! I thought you were pulling the old leg :)

Pangea wrote: »
    The charts last week looks so promising, ah well, at least Christmas day will be nice and cold.

well at least you won't have to worry about your toupee blowing away this year, senor pangea;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Nice to see the stars out tonight. Orion high in the sky always make me optimistic of decent frost and snow. That rain was doing my head in. Chilly enough now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Bit of snow here and there wont cut it for me anymore. Need a few days lying snow.
    Need under cutting lows to keep rolling in. Even slack high with some lake effect will do me.

Snow that quickly turns to slush? I'd rather watch the Euro vision song contest with subtitles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

And yes, we had many weeks of snow on the ground in 2010 here too, with temps not rising above freezing for many many days, so as cold, if not colder than south Dublin, but you are completely missing my point, a point I have already made twice and shan't be making again.

Yeah, where I was in the west of Ireland in 2010 was FAR colder than Dublin during that spell. Much less snow but much, much colder temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just to keep everyones hopes up, this is snow accum at +54

332642.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement