Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Precipitation charts on the GFS show Ireland getting a blast of snow at 252h (6 December) and again at 300h (8 December). Unfortunately these are sandwiched between very heavy rain periods so it won't stick if it happens at all, but again, nice to see charts like that appearing at this time of year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Precipitation charts on the GFS show Ireland getting a blast of snow at 252h (6 December) and again at 300h (8 December). Unfortunately these are sandwiched between very heavy rain periods so it won't stick if it happens at all, but again, nice to see charts like that appearing at this time of year :D
    Probably better chance of the rain happening as usual :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

looking at wetterzentrale output high pressure seems dominant after 1st december

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Am having doubts that this winter will deliver..

Greenland looks light years away from any type of height rise.

Scandi high is possible but another while yet before it shows it's hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

pauldry wrote: »
    looking at wetterzentrale output high pressure seems dominant after 1st december

and to the south at that! South-Westerlies ahoy.

TROPICAL%20BEACH06.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

26 out of the 51 EC ENS members from the 00Z run show potential blocking to the NW of the UK and a possible Northerly by approx 6th of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

26 out of the 51 EC ENS members from the 00Z run show potential blocking to the NW of the UK and a possible Northerly by approx 6th of December.

Yep i agree.. strong likelihood of NORMAL high-ground snow up north if that trend continued.

this Is terrible weather now. early on the month most would agree, quite cold last week of November but not at all!!

c'mon I don't know dick about weather!! what are we looking at here?? in childrens terms, none of your fancy meterological quackery!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭Speak Now

rusty cole wrote: »
    this Is terrible weather now. early on the month most would agree, quite cold last week of November but not at all!!

c'mon I don't know dick about weather!! what are we looking at here?? in childrens terms, none of your fancy meterological quackery!

Its great weather in fairness after all the rain, snow would be nice but a nice crisp frosty morning this time of the year is lovely.

BTW in Children's terms ...... No snow on the horizon.

Its great weather in fairness after all the rain, snow would be nice but a nice crisp frosty morning this time of the year is lovely.

BTW in Children's terms ...... No snow on the horizon.

NEWMANNNNNNNNN!!!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭droidman123

rusty cole wrote: »

You are asking this on the wrong thread,no one can long range the forecast for ireland,just cant be done. The mystic meg thread would have a better chance of answering your question :) two to three days max is the furthest irelands forcast can be accuratly predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

her is an ould reminder while things are quite.
    pic from the 1st and 7th of dec 2010. in drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Just to keep teasing us along from the last four days, three of the days have been frosty and cold in Waterford. I spotted -1 this morning and just 1c a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

2 more from 2010....it was interesting to see all the types of snow we got.

You are asking this on the wrong thread,no one can long range the forecast for ireland,just cant be done. The mystic meg thread would have a better chance of answering your question :) two to three days max is the furthest irelands forcast can be accuratly predicted.

mystic meg you say???? North miss tessmocker!! North!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Charts out past FI are a bust.

The temperature will always be 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Just an observation and not saying it happens every time but lets see if the near record early warming at 10mb (Mid Strat) has an effect 3 to 4 weeks down the road. The Christmas period and New Year might be interesting. Remember Not saying it will happen as other things have to line up too. Heres the Beginning of NOV 2010 one and I also note the Mid Nov + Dec 2009 before Jan 10 freeze.
    10mb9065_2010.gif

And now Nov 2014 spike. Take it for what it is. Cold will always go somewhere but its all about increasing chances.
    10mb9065.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

FYI The Netweather winter forecast for 2014/2015 has been issued

Here's the link to the detailed, technical forecast and a brief overview

Looking forward to reading this properly tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Lumi wrote: »
    FYI The Netweather winter forecast for 2014/2015 has been issued

Here's the link to the detailed, technical forecast and a brief overview

Looking forward to reading this properly tonight!

Very interesting read alright. A late December-early January cold spell would be nice if it set it just in time for Christmas, but I guess it will depend on the timing of stratospheric events and the downwelling to the troposphere. Fingers crossed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Its getting so dark out and its only 3:15 in the afternoon! The last time it started getting dark this early If I remember correctly, was 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    Its getting so dark out and its only 3:15 in the afternoon! The last time it started getting dark this early If I remember correctly, was 2010

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

Dublin sunset is 16.14 this evening, so the last time it was dark this early was December 29th last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

8u2b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

^^ The Dublin Milkman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Blop.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Netweather released their Winter FC. Main points

Overall the key conclusions are that winter will have the following characteristics:
    Slightly colder than average.
    Around average rainfall but conditions favour wetter further south and drier to the north of the UK.
    December likely to be the most unsettled month with the risk of a significant wind event (though less so compared to last year).
    February the most settled and driest month.
    Late December and into January is most likely to herald a significant wintry spell, though other major cold snaps throughout the winter are likely as well.
    Most of the UK likely to see some settling snow at some point.
    Overall Winter CET of 3.5-4°c.
    December CET forecast: 4-4.5°c.
    January CET forecast: 3-3.5°c.
    February CET forecast: 3.5-4.5°c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Late December and into January is most likely to herald a significant wintry spell, though other major cold snaps throughout the winter are likely as well.
    Most of the UK likely to see some settling snow at some point.

Wow! Such insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How could they possibly predict a major wind even this early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Red Pepper wrote: »
    I still feel there will be snow but I don't see it happening until the new year. Red Peppers prediction are snow and considerable cold around the 6th of January and the 1st & 22nd of February.

Red Pepper's prediction looking good thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Red Pepper's prediction looking good thus far.

Talking about oneself in the 3rd person?

And no, it will only look good if it comes true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement