Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

MikeSoys wrote: »
    so was the usa getting the same weather issues like now in 2010?...who is saying there will be snow this year?

They had some strong blizzards hit NYC and Chicago that winter:

http://youtu.be/tIr8Nl22eoE

http://youtu.be/et0axOoiGs8

But apparently temperature wise that winter was fairly average overall. I think the Midwest and Eastern North America receive larger annual snowfalls in average to above average temperature years because there is more moisture available to fuel blizzards and larger dumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

DominoDub wrote: »
    Imagine you open your front door in the morning to this :eek: ( Taken from Reddit)

K8X9DJK.jpg

I think I would pass out from the excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

wexie wrote: »
    ah to be fair, for those of us who are REALLY well prepared it might be fun for a little bit. But, more likely than not if that were to happen in Ireland it'd cost lives and more than a little hardship. How many people do you know (aside from yourself perhaps) that would be able to cope with that for a few days? Or however long it would take for the roads to be cleared (likely more than a few days)?

Not to mention the awful flooding that would probably happen afterwards and affect literally thousands of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I'm not sure I would like to see the "buffalo" type snow here(and this is as a snow lover). I remember 1982 and 1986 here and it was tough even at those levels. Bloody baltic is the term for those winters, I think :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What the UK met office are forecasting is typical winter weather in the UK and Ireland. Why anyone is surprised at this is a bit of a mystery to me. Just because someone on an. internet site 'feels it in their bones' or because its reported in a joke of a newspaper like the mail doesn't mean its going to bring snow armageddon to a country that rarely experiences any type of major snow event. Statistically if we are going to get snow it will be in Jan/Gen anyway so I wouldn't be giving up hope just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yes and we can be thankful we don't get that extreme.

However I live on a hill and I can see other hills, in winter I know if it is a snow shower that is coming as you see this wall type effect in a much lesser way.

We get the same effect up here, Robert. Visible weather coming in off the mountains...utterly lovely and dramatic and time to get in from the garden in time.

ah to be fair, for those of us who are REALLY well prepared it might be fun for a little bit. But, more likely than not if that were to happen in Ireland it'd cost lives and more than a little hardship. How many people do you know (aside from yourself perhaps) that would be able to cope with that for a few days? Or however long it would take for the roads to be cleared (likely more than a few days)?

It would be wonderful if all those who truly wish for heavy now would get out and dig folk out and take out supplies but we rarely hear of this. They would enjoy that I think as that too is dramatic! Anyone reaching me in thick snow would be a hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Smidge wrote: »
    I'm not sure I would like to see the "buffalo" type snow here(and this is as a snow lover). I remember 1982 and 1986 here and it was tough even at those levels. Bloody baltic is the term for those winters, I think :D

No problem. You just dig out from your drive to the street. Of course the street may not be in great shape!

AR-141118778.jpg&maxW=602&maxH=602&AlignV=top&Q=80

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Buffalo forecast to get another 30 inches of snow today on top of the massive dumping they already got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Graces7 wrote: »
    It would be wonderful if all those who truly wish for heavy now would get out and dig folk out and take out supplies but we rarely hear of this. They would enjoy that I think as that too is dramatic! Anyone reaching me in thick snow would be a hero!

You do realise people wanting something, like the weather being a certain way, has no bearing on whether they get it or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

234C2AE700000578-2838919-image-66_1416413945279.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

. Statistically if we are going to get snow it will be in Jan/Gen anyway so I wouldn't be giving up hope just yet.

This here folks is a true ramper. Ye have alot to learn.
    We now have the month of Genuary thrown in to increase our chances of snow. Bring it on mote-toe folk-coors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Some big albums of snow pics from the Buffalo Reddit:

http://imgur.com/a/YKedF

http://imgur.com/a/Ye1z2

• Registered Users Posts: 20,908 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You see more deaths during a heatwave but no-one's made to feel guilty for enjoying hot weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

it is giving 14C for Buffalo early next week, it is going to be very very messy. However, the snow will not accumulate over the winter as it will later.

You do realise people wanting something, like the weather being a certain way, has no bearing on whether they get it or not?

Which is as well!

Stark wrote: »
    You see more deaths during a heatwave but no-one's made to feel guilty for enjoying hot weather.

No one is mentioning guilt so what is this about? Simply talking reality and common sense... If you enjoy it fine but weather is not isolated from life and it affects many in many ways. Any idea of guilt is in your mind.. interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Graces7 wrote: »

I agree with you. Those that want snow don't obviously live in remote rural areas where snow lies on hills for days, leaving homes isolated. It's fine for us as we stock up on food and fuel in winter and can stay at home if necessary but neighbours have to get to work. A single day of snow can leave our roads extremely dangerous around here for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I agree with you. Those that want snow don't obviously live in remote rural areas where snow lies on hills for days, leaving homes isolated.

Meh, don't know if you'd call it remote but I'm about 4 miles from the nearest road that's likely to be gritted or plowed, most of those 4 miles up or downhill.

Personally I think if you want to live in such a location and need to be able to get around it's up to yourself to make sure you've a vehicle that will allow you to safely. I remember talking to a colleague giving out that the roads were so bad in 2010 and how disgraceful it was. But he drives a rwd car and lives past Roundwood. :confused:

If you want to live there it's either one or the other, make sure you can get out or make sure you can stay in. Don't do nothing and then give out about the council/government/NRA or whoever that they don't plow ALL the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

I thought this was a dedicated thread for people who like snow and cold no matter how deep it is or how cold.

If so can we please stay on topic ???

Meh, don't know if you'd call it remote but I'm about 4 miles from the nearest road that's likely to be gritted or plowed, most of those 4 miles up or downhill.

Personally I think if you want to live in such a location and need to be able to get around it's up to yourself to make sure you've a vehicle that will allow you to safely. I remember talking to a colleague giving out that the roads were so bad in 2010 and how disgraceful it was. But he drives a rwd car and lives past Roundwood. :confused:

If you want to live there it's either one or the other, make sure you can get out or make sure you can stay in. Don't do nothing and then give out about the council/government/NRA or whoever that they don't plow ALL the roads.

Buy a car suited to perhaps snow conditions once every couple of years?

I thought this was a dedicated thread for people who like snow and cold no matter how deep it is or how cold.

Where in the OP does it state that?

Oh and 11 days left in November with no forecast for snow ahead. So OP was, thankfully, incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Naw, just get winter tyres and change onto them for the winter months. Have a set of chains in case it gets really 2010-level awful. But you really do have to be out in the countryside before you have to start thinking like that. If you're living inside the M50, you just don't need a range rover.

Doesn't seem to stop people who wouldn't know a slip diff from a lower range buying them and getting stuck in ditches during the first frost of winter, mind you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

So is it snowing yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Not if you live in Roundwood.

But like Sparks said, decent tires and some preparedness will go a long way.
    A set of steelies and some decent tires probably cost less than replacing a bumper and some bodywork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

This is the dedicated Snow Lovers thread icesnowfrost Snow, Why do you love it ?

Mod Note

Can we steer this one back on to Weather & Will it/Won't it Snow this Winter. This isn't Commuting & Transport :)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ark rose glenn

It's not a tyre topic its about snow and weather so When is it gonna snow.....is the cold stuff on it's way to Ireland? Will we have a white Xmas or what... Any one out there with decent info on the winter this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Any one out there with decent info on the winter this year

Try Mystic Meg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement