Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Thargor wrote: »
    How could they possibly predict a major wind even this early?

An increased risk of it happening, because their forecast anomaly chart for the month shows a strong low pressure signal in our neck of the woods.

xChart32.gif.pagespeed.ic.hQTKbyj62n.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I predict alot of snow this winter- starting in November.

Anyway back to the o/p statement.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Ok then, everyone that doubts my prediction pays 20 euro in November when there is a blanket of snow across the country :cool:

:):o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Anyway back to the o/p statement.......

You beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Does he have to pay 20 euro to everybody else who posted in this thread?

You should make that a rule for predictions! I'd bet the predictions based on historical models, 'pattern matching' and geese flight would be sharply curtailed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Can i ask why people are obsessed with a white winter or Christmas? The disadvantages of cold arctic conditions are terrible. Infrastructure grinds to a halt old people suffer more than young during these conditions. Lose of life in extreme cases your car is in bits in those conditions aswell. No offense but there's an element of sadomasochism in wanting a snow/cold winter. Go skiing if you want snow i for one am glad of Ireland's mild and mostly snow less winters. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Can i ask why people are obsessed with a white winter or Christmas? The disadvantages of cold arctic conditions are terrible. Infrastructure grinds to a halt old people suffer more than young during these conditions. Lose of life in extreme cases your car is in bits in those conditions aswell. No offense but there's an element of sadomasochism in wanting a snow/cold winter. Go skiing if you want snow i for one am glad of Ireland's mild and mostly snow less winters. :P

While I am 100% in your corner on this one - that kind of talk is bannable in this thread. We should make a "No snow this winter" thread for us guys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Oasis1974 wrote: »

I agree!
    ...and another thing! Can I ask why people are obsessed with a long hot heatwave Summer. The disadvantages of warm/hot Iberian like conditions are terrible. Old people hospitilised or even killed by heatstroke and dehydration because their bodies can't regulate their temperature like young people, young children and teens drowning in our waterways as they try to cool themselves down, families destroyed by all the car accidents as people drive to their Summer excursions especially on Long hot bank holiday weekends, roads damaged and wear and tear increased as the heat softens the asphalt, farmers put under terrible financial pressure as drought effects their crops and silage production to see them through the Winter is severely affected.
    No offense but there's an element of sadomasochism in wanting a Long Hot Summer. Go Sunbathing in the Costa Del Sol if you want Sun. I for one am glad of Ireland's dreary and mostly Sun-less Summers. :p

[EDIT]This was Satire people! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tis alright Oasis1974, the Cork snow shield will keep your delicate features safe from harm...

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Spoilsport! :-D

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    I agree!
    ...and another thing! Can I ask why people are obsessed with a long hot heatwave Summer. The disadvantages of warm/hot Iberian like conditions are terrible. Old people hospitilised or even killed by heatstroke and dehydration because their bodies can't regulate their temperature like young people, young children and teens drowning in our waterways as they try to cool themselves down, families destroyed by all the car accidents as people drive to their Summer excursions especially on Long hot bank holiday weekends, roads damaged and wear and tear increased as the heat softens the asphalt, farmers put under terrible financial pressure as drought effects their crops and silage production to see them through the Winter is severely affected.
    No offense but there's an element of sadomasochism in wanting a Long Hot Summer. Go Sunbathing in the Costa Del Sol if you want Sun. I for one am glad of Ireland's dreary and mostly Sun-less Summers. :p

okay, this definitely deserves a ban! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I agree!

Mod Note
    Can we get back on topic guys - this is the Snow this Winter thread not why I Hate long hot summers ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    Its getting so dark out and its only 3:15 in the afternoon! The last time it started getting dark this early If I remember correctly, was 2010

The leaves seem to have fallen from the trees quicker since the clocks went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I agree!
    I love this +1

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

I predict alot of snow this winter- starting in November.

Very impressive prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

Rikand wrote: »
    While I am 100% in your corner on this one - that kind of talk is bannable in this thread. We should make a "No snow this winter" thread for us guys ;)

It would be one lonely thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

2nd week of cold here in poland. Last night was -10 and today didn't get above -3. Its getting dark now so temp already falling again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Great shot at the end of the ferry going out:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/11/28/white-so/

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Lumi wrote: »
    Mod Note
    Can we get back on topic guys - this is the Snow this Winter thread not why I Hate long hot summers ! :P

Someone has clearly missed the joke!!

He was defending peopels love of snow, not actually de-railing the thread to talk about long hot summers.

snaps wrote: »
    2nd week of cold here in poland. Last night was -10 and today didn't get above -3. Its getting dark now so temp already falling again.

You can keep it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This place is worse than politics sometime ��

Much rather cold than hot any day and already had more cold this Autumn than last winter with two of the three coldest temps recorded this year coming in the last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

Agreed it has been cooler of late but we need colder weather alot colder (Snow cold)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

I predict it will rain frogs before December 29th.

Well at least I hope it will. I'm having a barbeque and I really like frogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

Yes well FROG OFF ! to your mad hatters frog BBQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shimmy Jimmy CocoPop

gugsy wrote: »
    Agreed it has been cooler of late but we need colder weather alot colder (Snow cold)

But not too cold to snow;)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Any model updates on the next few weeks or has much changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Any model updates on the next few weeks or has much changed?

Gradual changes now taking place. High Pressure will be close by Ireland over the coming week, ensuring cooler temperatures and some frost and fog. Furthermore, Russia and Eastern Europe are now starting to cool down with daytime temperatures struggling to get above freezing during the coming week. In simple terms, the Atlantic looks to be going quiet. However I think the main consensus among the good long range weather forecasters (including MT) is that December will have a period of western dominated weather (mild muck) and we will then have to wait until January and February before getting any chance of snowfall across Ireland. Patience young man, patience. :D;)

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some revisions to my seasonal outlook, although less so for Ireland than for Britain if anyone reads what I posted on net-weather, this is how I see things now for Ireland. Main change is a colder average, retaining the idea of high variability.

DEC -- Gradual change to much colder weather with a wintry episode likely mid-month, some snow seems likely at times in middle third of month. Milder trend towards Christmas after a possible mixed precip event around 22nd. Mildest at each end of the month, mean temperature around 3 C, 2 below normal. Some freezing daytime temperatures are possible mid-month and severe frosts to about -8 C.

JAN -- Very stormy to start the month, possible severe wind storms, temperatures at first may be mild but a sharp fall likely after the 5th which is where I am expecting a peak in stormy conditions. Severe cold is possible mid-month with heavy snowfall potential especially in Leinster and Ulster. A gradual return to milder conditions likely near the end of the month. Mean temperatures around 2.5 C or about 3 below normal.

FEB -- Cold but settled weather, some snow potential at times near east coast but there could be an east-west divide situation unless this outbreak proves stronger than some previous years where Britain froze but Ireland stayed mild. Expecting at least a modified cold on the order of Feb 2013 and a mean around 3 east to 5 west. This would be more below normal in east.

MAR -- Cold will continue to dominate for the first half then much milder weather will follow. Once again there is some potential for snow at times.

I think this is fairly similar to the earlier outlook except that I am probably looking at a somewhat lower average between the cold and mild variations. I don't foresee unrelenting or unbroken cold as with 1963 for example, but I do think there is some potential for severe cold as in 2010 (or in relative terms in March 2013).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement