Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Jackson

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

ALiasEX wrote: »
    Michael couldn't even read music.

Lots of musicians can't read music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Sheeps wrote: »
    A lot of people don't know his method of composition and are amazed when they hear about it. It's better still to see and hear how he does it as in the clip below. It starts at about 11:20.

Some context to the clip. It's a deposition that MJ gave in 1993 while on tour in Mexico in response to a copyright lawsuit claiming that he stole a number of songs including Thriller, We are the World and The Girl is Mine. MJ in his defense provided the original tape of him singing and discovering the girl is mine and he does exactly as you have described. The video is the leaked deposition. It's absolutely amazing to watch and listen.

I tried to find the demo of Beat It that really shows how he did this, but it's been removed sadly. It's amazing to hear how he goes through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

You'll have to sign in to Spotify to listen to it.

https://open.spotify.com/track/6lMd5SfMmjEvdab7HHPO7y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

He was bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

He was neither overrated or underrated. His music speaks for itself

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

e_e wrote: »
    An Off the Wall reject.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

ALiasEX wrote: »
    An Off the Wall reject.

It's better than anything from that album imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Ain't no messing with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

e_e wrote: »
    That and Don't Stop... my faves by Jacko!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Sheeps wrote: »
    Some context to the clip. It's a deposition that MJ gave in 1993 while on tour in Mexico in response to a copyright lawsuit claiming that he stole a number of songs including Thriller, We are the World and The Girl is Mine. MJ in his defense provided the original tape of him singing and discovering the girl is mine and he does exactly as you have described. The video is the leaked deposition. It's absolutely amazing to watch and listen.

Stunning and amazing. Truly amazing insight. And not a little poignant on a day that we are so stunned at the loss of another true genius, Robin Williams.

I love the way he immediately gets so immersed in the replays, physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

While his 70s / Thriller stuff is very good stuff, since the 90s he was regarded in not exactly the best terms. Not sure its been mentioned, but remember Jarvis Cocker's "protest" during the 1995 Brit awards? (or was it 96). Most people thought that was great, at least, most music lovers did, as it totally highlighted how f**ked up Jacko had become with the whole "healing the world" thing. It was a mis-step on his part, but was not exactly a surprise. Jacko wasn't "cool" at all, back then.

Same when he floated the statue of himself down the Thames to promote "HIStory". It was a joke. A ridiculous act by a ridiculous person.

I felt that when he died, it was retrospective adoration from most people. As in, what he *had done*, rather than what he was then. Which is fair enough, its the same for all singers who reach a certain point before they die. We're seeing it now with Robin Williams; I know for a fact if he was still alive a lot of people would state they couldn't stand his movies, or his "zany" humour. But the outpouring of adoration is similar to when MJ died.

I was never a fan of his music (though I did like "Stranger In Moscow", and as a kid loved Say Say Say. Heck I thought "Scream" was pretty good too). Do I think he was great? Sure, for a period in the late 70s / early 80s. Same with Prince. What if Prince died now, would people laud "Cream" and "Get Off"? Probably! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Neither could Jimi Hendrix or Tony Iommi.

Tony didnt even have his finger tips :cool:

Advertisement