Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Jackson

Options
  • 10-08-2014 5:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Was this guy overrated or underrated? Please keep this topic on his music and not what he accussed of please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Musically brilliant and I don't think three or five nights would of bothered him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

His record sales says it all. Superb Entertainer.

Music?

Well I would start with this.

Then a bit of Slash

Then an anthem

Then there's there's this sweet little one.

Then in 2001 he was still able to this

So answer your question, there is no way to overrate him.

Haven't even gone through half of his best songs with this post. :pac:

Fair play to Timberlake to put his name towards this track.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Motown stuff was great, Thriller was amazing, all downhill after that give or take a few decent tracks. Hated all the we are the world guff, more funk less wishy washy stuff. Will say this though, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough is probably the most well produced disco track of all time. It sounds amazing even now.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    Motown stuff was great, Thriller was amazing, all downhill after that give or take a few decent tracks. Hated all the we are the world guff, more funk less wishy washy stuff. Will say this though, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough is probably the most well produced disco track of all time. It sounds amazing even now.
    Ya say "give or take" but there were half a dozen excellent tunes amongst that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Great songwriter and performer can't deny that, I find sometimes people don't realise that he wrote most of his solo hits himself.

Love him or not, I'll always remember when I got told the news of his death.

Have to admit, I was expecting a punchline.

Great songwriter and performer can't deny that, I find sometimes people don't realise that he wrote most of his solo hits himself.
    It's actually incredible how much he wrote himsel.
    Charlie19 wrote: »
    Love him or not, I'll always remember when I got told the news of his death.

Have to admit, I was expecting a punchline.
    The internet almost crashed when he died. Never happened before and won't happen again. We all spent a few hours exchanging excellent jokes obviously. :P

All the innuendo etc., it's funny, anyone can see that any inappropriateness was purely accidental. I was about 10 years too late to see it in real time with a proper perspective on it but anyone who was the right age would probably agree.

In fairness my experience of when he died was an amazing bit of history. Everyone was texting jokes, everyone was having a laugh. But somehow there was a sombre-ness behind it all. All the music channels played his songs. The internet slowed to a crawl. People over a certain age talked about him as a kid. People below that age sang his disco hits. People younger than that knew all his pop songs. A properly amazing artist.

I was annoyed at the concept of "This Is It" but it's actually a beautifully made film. It's not as perfect as he would've liked but ****ing hell it showed he still had it in every way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

EEEEEEHHEEEEEE!

EEEEEEHHEEEEEE!

I'm one bad, invincible, fish-suit-wearing mother****er! Hee-hee-hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This is my fav solo hit he wrote.

Girly voice but yet so smooth. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

His greatest song had to be I'm forever blowing bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Legendary performer.

I remember being very upset at the time of his death, and the poignant scene of the Jackson family carrying his coffin.

I'd thought it was Cool Runnings on telly, and that's my favourite film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

A proper legend, the likes of we'll never see again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

He was alright like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Fair play to Timberlake to put his name towards this track.

Fun fact: The guy who Britney Spears cheated on Justin Timberlake with came out and said last year that he was one of Michael's abuse victims.

A year later, Justin releases a duet with Michael.... http://proplayerinsiders.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/but-thats-none-of-my2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Was totally indifferent to his music when he was alive, however his first two solo albums stand up as peerless pop classics, just a shame how he got messed up psychologically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

He‘s no Gary Glitter, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

meh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

His record sales says it all. Superb Entertainer.

Record sales are no indication of quality.

Anyway, I find him overrated although I do love some of his songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm not sure it's possible for Michael Jackson to be underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Legendary, his songs always wake me up during a session and bring out the feel good factor. No matter what age you are
    you just gotta admit his iconic status is deserved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I'd say he has about 20 songs I'd consider listening to again, fortunately a fair few of them are spectacular, but it's still not a lot for me to care much about him. Doesn't help that my first memories of him were the HIStory marketing campain, those big giant Jackson statues being revealed to crowds of adoring people... even 5 year old me thought he must've been shockingly lacking in self awareness or pretty weird or something.

Anyways, for someone who peaked at 11 (I Want You Back's a perfect song), he had a pretty damn solid career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Not my thing at all but I respect that he wrote most of his own material, and he was clearly a very talented singer. I don't think he's under rated at all though, he seems to get the recognition he deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Wouldn't be his biggest fan, but Billie Jean and I Want You Back are absolute tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Definitely not underrated, no, but I don't think he's overrated either. I don't think many would doubt his talent or the immeasurable influence he has had on pop music. Personally, I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of his music (I wouldn't turn it off, but he wouldn't be one of my go-to artists either, if that makes sense), but the guy had one of the best voices ever in pop music, no doubt about that. I Want You Back is vocally brilliant and he was only 11 or something when he recorded it. He was a total prodigy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Overrating Michael Jackson is impossible. The man was the greatest musician/songwriter of a generation. Sorely missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Overrating Michael Jackson is impossible. The man was the greatest musician/songwriter of a generation. Sorely missed.

Greatest Musician? He denied being able to play any musical instrument during a court case where he was accused of stealing another artists composition.

He was talented but don't start the historical revisionism stuff. :pac:

Advertisement