Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times - save me your sanctimonious claptrap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Robroy36 wrote: »
    Pretty predictable: give people free everything and more people will follow them. Next up, negative and positive magnets in attraction shocker!!!

Who is paying for this?

I do not want to pay.

I want Direct Provision maintained.

Do you even know what direct provision means? You don't want to pay (which I take to mean 'leave my tax alone'), but you want it maintained (meaning keep paying the 19 euro etc? Can you explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Pretty predictable: give people free everything and more people will follow them. Next up, negative and positive magnets in attraction shocker!!!

Who is paying for this?

I do not want to pay.

I want Direct Provision maintained.

Is this really about the Irish Times?

Anyway, if a newspaper, any newspaper gets you that worked up, maybe try a different one. For the sake of your own health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Pretty predictable: give people free everything and more people will follow them.

Ireland 2030, population ~3 billion. The country is a complete urbanised landscape, massive city-blocks the likes of which described in Judge Dredd now cover the horizon :cool:
    Who is paying for this?

Most people given the chance opt to work and earn. There's a reason emigrants the world over are known are hard workers.

Besides let's be honest, there's plenty of money and resources for all this. But the economic system to achieve this... well, you're going to label me something aren't you if I allude to how? Nah, the billions are better spent providing a welfare net for our banks and financial industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Nodin wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss?
    Nodin, I have already have had to have words with you in one of my other threads. I don't like your tone one bit. Either stay constructive or jog on. Your choice.

Thanks in advance.

+1..
    The op put a lot of thought and genuine 'anger' into this thread, and to me his first post is 'on the mark'!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

That's why I read the Independent.

(This is bait, potentially :D )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ardle1 wrote: »
    +1..
    The op put a lot of thought and genuine 'anger' into this thread, and to me his first post is 'on the mark'!

Bit strange he can't answer questions on it. Even stranger that the article on the times does not say what he claims, nor does there seem to be an editorial along that line. True, his post is on the mark if you share a certain xenophobic resentment to those who have come here seeking asylum and have absolutely zero concern for their well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Did you read this online OP?

As an Irish times subscription holder I was left trembling with rage at having to fund indigenous readabouts wanting a handout from my hard earned subscription.

I work hard all week, long hours, get taxed to the hilt and I have to put up with emotional bombardment from posters on boards.ie as well!

Well I've had enough of supporting these freeloaders. If it was up to me I'd send them to Iraq or Italy or any of them sh**ty countries.

I bet you even have adblocker on too - pay your way, marxists have to pay the mortgage too you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Who do they think they are?

I work hard all week, long hours, get taxed to the hilt to partially pay for an ever diminishing health service, cockeyed politicians and civil servants and an absolutely absurd welfare state. I could go on about impending water charges, house hold taxes and the myriad of other stealth taxes but I'll leave it there.

The above is not fine. It is not just and at times it makes me tremble with rage

They are representative of you and of Ireland. Whatever you do, you are no better than they are. If you were better, you would be in one of those positions showing leadership, excellence, creativity, and improving the situation. But I'm guessng you are not.

That's why I read the Independent.

(This is bait, potentially :D )

That's why I read it too, they don't give a f*ck about anybody :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

stmol32 wrote: »
    That's why I read it too, they don't give a f*ck about anybody :pac:

Nice crossword too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

The IT have every right to print some article sympathetically focusing on the plight of the people in mosney,sheeet,a lot of the IT readership might actually swallow some of it too, but the folks that hold the purse strings know that the Daily dramas of the mosneyites is way,way down the list of things taxpayers/voters want looked at right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

So in summary, refugees living in miserable conditions have it good because they don't have to pay taxes or get blown up by the IDF.

crockholm wrote: »
    The IT have every right to print some article sympathetically focusing on the plight of the people in mosney,sheeet,a lot of the IT readership might actually swallow some of it too, but the folks that hold the purse strings know that the Daily dramas of the mosneyites is way,way down the list of things taxpayers/voters want looked at right now.

It's about direct provision generally, not Mosney.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 selfstarter

Here's a good idea - Don't read the Irish Times.

No.Don't "Buy" the Irish Times"

stmol32 wrote: »
    I especially like that comedy columnist they have - the joke is he knows he's the last catholic in the country but he pretends to be really angry that we've all left his club!!

Feckin' hilarious or Totes Hilares (I learned that phrase from the Sunday Independent womens bit and now I hate myself)

He's gone to the Indo now.

Nice crossword too

I especially like that comedy columnist they have - the joke is he knows he's the last catholic in the country but he pretends to be really angry that we've all left his club!!

Feckin' hilarious or Totes Hilares (I learned that phrase from the Sunday Independent womens bit and now I hate myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

Wow, grumpy.

Nodin wrote: »
    He's gone to the Indo now.

Sorry Nodin I meant to quote a poster I was answering so I deleted and reposted, d'jeknowhat it'll all make sense if anyone can be arsed to re-read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

This morning I was left trembling with rage by the Marxists in the Irish Times.

Some interesting points here. But is there a soviet in Westmoreland Street? Who are these Marxists? Name them and shame them. Better still, bring in the special branch to deal with them. No point in understating the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭coolbeans

OP is clearly an 'Irish' Daily Mail man who's picked up the wrong paper. The old DM is ideal for those who love a baseless moan while lacking appreciation for what they have, and seeing fit to knock those less fortunate than themselves. You'll love there it there RobRoy. Especially the comments section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I don't think anyone believes asylum-seekers should be living in luxury (which is no doubt the strawman that will get trotted out) - basic, clean and comfortable is sufficient. But the conditions can be very poor and cramped, and nobody without the power to change this should be living in such conditions, particularly when they have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

anncoates wrote: »
    So in summary, refugees living in miserable conditions have it good because they don't have to pay taxes or get blown up by the IDF.

And "outraged in Donnybrook" doesnt want to pay for it. The indignity of paying his taxes in order to throw them a few breadcrumbs

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

90% of these asylum-seekers are bogus.

The Minister has said so, confirming what we all know.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/PR07000171

It is very unfair to keep people here for years and years going through a legal process.

They should not be allowed past the airport / port, and should be turned around within 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Magaggie wrote: »
    I don't think anyone believes asylum-seekers should be living in luxury (which is no doubt the strawman that will get trotted out) - basic, clean and comfortable is sufficient. But the conditions can be very poor and cramped, and nobody without the power to change this should be living in such conditions, particularly when they have children.

They are free to leave the country if they are not happy with the conditions.

Geuze wrote: »
    90% of these asylum-seekers are bogus.

The Minister has said so, confirming what we all know.

"The Minister" has not been the minister for many years now and that article is 9 years old. We currently have one of the lowest acceptance rates in Western Europe.

Your concern for your fellows is touching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

And go where?
    The state, even for its own reputation, shouldn't provide squalor type conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

This morning I was left trembling with rage by the Marxists in the Irish Times.

Some interesting points here. But is there a soviet in Westmoreland Street? Who are these Marxists? Name them and shame them. Better still, bring in the special branch to deal with them. No point in understating the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

feargale wrote: »
    In fairness, Marxism is a sufficiently vague term as to be capable of upholding the hypothesis that some of the Irish Times journalists are Marxists.

Many would agree that Vincent Browne is a Marxist for example. Fintan O'Toole may be one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The reds are everywhere.

Advertisement