Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times - save me your sanctimonious claptrap

Options
  • 09-08-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I am talking about this weekends "expose" on Direct Provision.

Who do they think they are?

I work hard all week, long hours, get taxed to the hilt to partially pay for an ever diminishing health service, cockeyed politicians and civil servants and an absolutely absurd welfare state. I could go on about impending water charges, house hold taxes and the myriad of other stealth taxes but I'll leave it there.

The above is not fine. It is not just and at times it makes me tremble with rage.

This morning I was left trembling with rage by the Marxists in the Irish Times. Not only should I be squeezed dry Monday to Friday by the irrepressible state, Saturday morning is time for emotional bombardment and an exercise in self shaming by the Irish Times.

They feel that not only should we fund our indigenous lay abouts to the extent that any job paying under 40k a year is simply not worth considering for the head of a family but now we must open our borders to the rest of the world to encamp here a leech off the state.

Let me be perfectly clear. I do not care about Direct Provision or the people "trapped" in this system. A bit of perspective: they are better off in Mosney than they are being shelled by the IDF or beheaded by ISIS. Give them a choice, a plane back to where they came from or Direct provision, I know which answer I'd be betting my savings on.

Next week perhaps do a "Weekender" on how to pay as little tax as possible and avoid self-shaming leftist propaganda from arts graduates who have never lived a day in the real world.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Robroy36 wrote: »
    I am talking about this weekends "expose" on Direct Provision.

Who do they think they are?

I work hard all week, long hours, get taxed to the hilt to partially pay for an ever diminishing health service, cockeyed politicians and civil servants and an absolutely absurd welfare state. I could go on about impending water charges, house hold taxes and the myriad of other stealth taxes but I'll leave it there.

The above is not fine. It is not just and at times it makes me tremble with rage.

This morning I was left trembling with rage by the Marxists in the Irish Times. Not only should I be squeezed dry Monday to Friday by the irrepressible state, Saturday morning is time for emotional bombardment and an exercise in self shaming by the Irish Times.

They feel that not only should we fund our indigenous lay abouts to the extent that any job paying under 40k a year is simply not worth considering for the head of a family but now we must open our borders to the rest of the world to encamp here a leech off the state.

Let me be perfectly clear. I do not care about Direct Provision or the people "trapped" in this system. A bit of perspective: they are better off in Mosney than they are being shelled by the IDF or beheaded by ISIS. Give them a choice, a plane back to where they came from or Direct provision, I know which answer I'd be betting my savings on.

Next week perhaps do a "Weekender" on how to pay as little tax as possible and avoid self-shaming leftist propaganda from arts graduates who have never lived a day in the real world.

Are you taking the piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It must be exhausting trying to find stuff to keep yourself that angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This is why Ireland thinks the Indo isn't right wing

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

Nodin wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss?

Nodin, I have already have had to have words with you in one of my other threads. I don't like your tone one bit. Either stay constructive or jog on. Your choice.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

A bit of perspective: they are better off in Mosney than they are being shelled by the IDF or beheaded by ISIS.
    I disagree with a lot of what you say, but the above is true.

These individuals are not economic migrants. Theyt are people who claim to be fleeing life-threatening situations, torture, and extreme human rights violations.

Asylum is not a picnic. Asylum and subsidiary protection applications are emergencies which should be processed quickly. Some of the applications are genuine, but an enormous amount are farcically inconsistent and baseless. These are clogging up the system for everyone else.

Anyone who thinks you should be allowed work in Ireland and given comfortable, long-term accommodation just by showing up and making spurious claims is living with their head in the clouds. Or probably has an office on Tara Street. The system would come under even greater pressure if it were that easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

So much bitterness in one post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Trivial things that annoy thread maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Here's a good idea - Don't read the Irish Times.

I hope I never lose empathy for my fellow human beings

Trivial things that annoy thread maybe?

Slightly off topic, but how much tax did you pay last year?

Was it a trivial amount?

• Advertisement

How do you know there are "Marxists" in the Irish times?

Where is the link showing the statement about 40k etc?

Could we also see where they say we "must open our borders to the rest of the world to encamp here a leech off the state."?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Here's a good idea - Don't read the Irish Times.

At least not while you're wearing your monocle, hard to get quality replacements these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Bambi wrote: »
    At least not while you're wearing your monocle, hard to get quality replacements these days

Pfft, just get a medical card and they'll give them to you for free.

Life's a picnic people, life's a picnic.

Irish Daily Mail (sic) more your style OP, stick with it, or the Indo and the crippled middle classes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

So we have done an Irish Indo thread now an Irish times one. What is next the Irish Examiner?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Maybe you should buy The Daily Star from now on

Nodin wrote: »
    How do you know there are "Marxists" in the Irish times?

Where is the link showing the statement about 40k etc?

Could we also see where they say we "must open our borders to the rest of the world to encamp here a leech off the state."?

Nodin, I am going to ignore every post you make in this thread.

Thanks for any input though, it is most appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

jjbrien wrote: »
    So we have done an Irish Indo thread now an Irish times one. What is next the Irish Examiner?

That would just be trivial, The Farmers Journal maybe?

Why is that? They're fairly straightforward questions based on your OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I think it's fu(king awesome that people fleeing persecution, both physical threats and economic come to Ireland. Jeez we give out like hell about our little patch, but compared to most of the world... We should do all we can for our fellow man.
    Let me be perfectly clear. I do not care..

I hope someday you do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Say no to Brazilian beef and Thai chicken :mad:

The week that's in it we'll say no to Israeli potatoes too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

That's not a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

maybe after hours hasnt had a go at the farmers in a while lol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

But... but, that Pamela one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Why don't you start a thread on the costs covering uninsured drivers which are about the same as the costs of Direct Provision? Now that would be interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Magaggie wrote: »
    But... but, that Pamela one.

She did an FHM recently though? She's grand :cool:

c_man wrote: »
    I think it's fu(king awesome that people fleeing persecution, both physical threats and economic come to Ireland.

Pretty predictable: give people free everything and more people will follow them. Next up, negative and positive magnets in attraction shocker!!!

Who is paying for this?

I do not want to pay.

I want Direct Provision maintained.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

c_man wrote: »
    She did an FHM recently though? She's grand :cool:

Wasn't it FGM that she said she was having issues with? Can't remember now?

Shenshen wrote: »
    Wasn't it FGM that she said she was having issues with? Can't remember now?

Yer man out of Motley Crue I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Slightly off topic, but how much tax did you pay last year?

Was it a trivial amount?

How much tax did you pay?

Lets say you are a married man with a stay-at home wife, earning €100,000 per year.

Direct provision cost you €33 last year.

It is 0.09% of total revenue. I am excluding borrowings, so probably overstating the amount it costs current taxpayers.

I agree that direct provision is an appropriate way of dealing with emergency applications for international protection, but lets keep some perspective.

Advertisement