Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to reverse some Public Secor Pay cuts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

fliball123 wrote: »
    it wont be happening in 2016 and I have told you the reasons why.

Thanks for clearing that up Enda.:rolleyes:

You can't say anything about 2016 with any certainty.

(Except that I'll be getting an increment, my first in a few years, and well earned ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Yes, but what is the relative turnout of the two blocks on polling day..? I'd hazard it's substantially higher in my block than yours... You'd better get an early order in for a couple of megaphones to try to mobilise the troops when the time comes.

There wont be pay rises by or in 2016 ...

No if the criteria I have set out is meet I have no bother with it..I do believe there are good people in the ps working away and deserve pay rises ..but only when we can afford them and only after others get alleviated first

That is very decent of you, I doff my cap to you kind sir...

Be sure to let us know the moment there has been sufficient alleviation elsewhere, so that we can dare to darken our masters' door...

Thanks for clearing that up Enda.:rolleyes:

You can't say anything about 2016 with any certainty.

(Except that I'll be getting an increment, my first in a few years, and well earned ;))

You proved my point...you cant say anything with certainty, yet the ps are certain they will be getting pay rises..its gas..its like we stopped borrowing or the debt just flew away for a holiday..

One thing is certain..the maths on it does not tally for ps getting a payrise

That is very decent of you, I doff my cap to you kind sir...

Be sure to let us know the moment there has been sufficient alleviation elsewhere, so that we can dare to darken our masters' door...

I have put out 3 things

1 deficit gone
    2 debt under control
    3 tax cuts for everyone

• Advertisement

You proved my point...you cant say anything with certainty, yet the ps are certain they will be getting pay rises..its gas..its like we stopped borrowing or the debt just flew away for a holiday..

No be fair now, your point was an unambiguous statement of fact, that there will be no restoration of pay in or by 2016.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And you have just priced my point. YOU GENERALISE too much.

You state that "yet the is are certain they will be getting pay rises"
    When in actual fact "The PS" are not saying that. A few posters are saying that on an Internet forum, you you maintain that 280,000 PS employees are saying what you state. Rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I am not saying that in the future that ps will get pay rises above increments ..I am saying in 2016 when we will still be borrowing and owe a lot more than we do now..As well as asking people to pay for water that under that environment the appetite for ps pay rises on top of increments would not be tolerated..By all means once the deficit is down, and we have a handle on the debt and taxes are reduced..Then go for it providing the performance of the ps employee merits it , I have no problem with it what so ever.

So you are backing down on this post:
    I think you will find FG will not be for it. Only one Labour Minister is spouting this nonsense

I am saying that come the 2016 election that FG, like everyone else will be saying that now the economy is getting back on its feet, it is time to revisit the pay cuts and restore pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Where are the Pd's when you need them? nowhere, as doing the right thing won't get you anywhere here, lowest common denominator stuff as a previous poster said. Would love to see a pdfg hypothetical coalition (they'd be perfect bed buddies in my opinion)My disgust at the labour party is up there with ff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Riskymove wrote: »
    or maybe working in the health servive or ion the emrgency services simply results in a higher level of illness and injury than sitting at a desk?
    Riskymove wrote: »
    well, no it won't

it is an efficiency saving really
    ezra_pound wrote: »
    True.

We're talking about reducing the overall rate of absenteeism and cost associated with sick leave here - not differences between various areas of the public service.

And reducing the overall sick leave rate will, indeed, result in more effective use of resources that can be used productively to achieve additional results elsewhere (including moving people from back-room to front-line activities, where ever possible).

So the savings are real (even though the overall cost of the public service might not fall in the short-term) - not just imaginary or to be dismissed as merely "efficiencies".

I would also expect that these savings would contribute to reduced costs of the public service in the long-term.

• Advertisement

No be fair now, your point was an unambiguous statement of fact, that there will be no restoration of pay in or by 2016.

No i didnt say that I said at a time when we were still borrowing and being asked to pay for water there would be no pay rises...By all means once things improve and the ps employees who deserve pay rises should get them, but I cannot see that improvement until 2018/19 at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

No i didnt say that I said at a time when we were still borrowing and being asked to pay for water there would be no pay rises...By all means once things improve and the ps employees who deserve pay rises should get them, but I cannot see that improvement until 2018/19 at the earliest

Do you think there should be tax cuts in the next budget?

kceire wrote: »
    And you have just priced my point. YOU GENERALISE too much.

You state that "yet the is are certain they will be getting pay rises"
    When in actual fact "The PS" are not saying that. A few posters are saying that on an Internet forum, you you maintain that 280,000 PS employees are saying what you state. Rubbish.

Well I take that back that is what chopper on here thinks. But on the other hand if the ps were offered a pay rise do you think they would turn it down?

Godge wrote: »
    So you are backing down on this post:

I am saying that come the 2016 election that FG, like everyone else will be saying that now the economy is getting back on its feet, it is time to revisit the pay cuts and restore pay.

No I am saying that it wont happen in 2016 which was always my point..I would be hoping in 2017/18 that we will have our deficit gone and after this we can alleviate tax payers then and only then pay rises for ps but only for those who deserve it. If you look at my approach I have always said it would not happen when we have to start paying water (2016) and while we are still borrowing which will be at least up until 2018 and after tax cuts..

Monife wrote: »
    Do you think there should be tax cuts in the next budget?

No not at all not until the borrowing has ceased, but if the government are determined to alienate someone somewhere the in tax cuts should happen as apposed to pay rises in the ps. that way everyone gets something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

No not at all not until the borrowing has ceased, but if the government are determined to alienate someone somewhere the in tax cuts should happen as apposed to pay rises in the ps. that way everyone gets something

I agree. Tax money back in everyone's pockets is much better than pay restoration as our pay would still be taxed and wouldn't receive much of it where as a tax cut or credit increase now and pay restoration later, would be better for everyone's pockets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So say you need hospital consultants and as they have world wide opportunities they could choose to works some where else( even in countries that pay less but have much less of a work load and much better back up services ).

Do you stick to you ideology of no pay increases for public servants or do you increase consultants pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

mariaalice wrote: »
    So say you need hospital consultants and as they have world wide opportunities they could choose to works some where else( even in countries that pay less but have much less of a work load and much better back up services ).

Do you stick to you ideology of no pay increases for public servants or do you increase consultants pay.

Pay what the market will bear.
    If a position has no applicants, then sweeten the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Idbatterim wrote: »

they have hinted at this a few times and I fully expect them to do it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Well I take that back that is what chopper on here thinks. But on the other hand if the ps were offered a pay rise do you think they would turn it down?

If ANYBODY in the world was offered a payrise, do you think they would turn it down?

Would YOU turn down a pay rise for the better of the country, i would imagine you would grab the extra money with both hands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

If ANYBODY in the world was offered a payrise, do you think they would turn it down?

Would YOU turn down a pay rise for the better of the country, i would imagine you would grab the extra money with both hands.

I'd imagine he would not only grab it both hands but sell out everybody else if necessary..."Pull the ladder up"

Of course I'd grab it.

I've no beef with the workers getting their due as per agreements.

I only take issue with governments working against Ireland's interest by being so craven at the negotiating table.

Of course I'd grab it.

I've no beef with the workers getting their due as per agreements.

I only take issue with governments working against Ireland's interest by being so craven at the negotiating table.

So paying Ireland's workers is against Ireland's interest?

You're talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

chopper6 wrote: »

You're talking nonsense.

Please stop.

Please stop with your disingenous reading and deliberate misrepresentations of others' posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You're talking nonsense.
    1. The workers are getting paid.
    2. It is if in the long term interests of the state to ensure stable finances and servicing a debt that the next 10 generations end up paying off, the paying above what it can aford to its workers is daft.

kippy wrote: »
    1. The workers are getting paid.
    2. It is if in the long term interests of the state to ensure stable finances and servicing a debt that the next 10 generations end up paying off, the paying above what it can aford to its workers is daft.

Who says they cant afford it?

Paying thousands of people to sit on their arses all day as well giving them free houses makes a lot less sense to me.

Or the thousands of "refugees" being housed at the states expense in places like Mosney and hotels up and down the country...who's paying the 300 million a year it costs?

What about the non-means tested childrens allowance hat anybody can get regardless of their level of need?

Free third level education so wasters can hang out in college forever studying nonsense?

The PS in this country are doing a job of work,we took a disproportionate amount of pain and it's time we had the paycuts reversed..and they WILL be reversed despite what the armchair economists on here think.

I don't see these people picketing pubs charging 7 euro a pint or the crèches that charge 100 euro per day per child..

As I said before...most of this "for the good of the country" bullshiit is just jealousy from people who backed the wrong horse when it came to choosing their career...OR the thousands who weren't good enough to be selected for employment by the PS and now have a chip on their shoulders.

As I said before...most of this "for the good of the country" bullshiit is just jealousy from people who backed the wrong horse when it came to choosing their career...OR the thousands who weren't good enough to be selected for employment by the PS and now have a chip on their shoulders.

You really are grasping for a strong argument here, but again you are failing.

Being critical of the a government awarding pay increases to peak levels automatically, while still running a €5 bn deficit is not born out of your infantile accusation of jealousy.

Personally I see reversing the disastrous near decade long strangulation of infrastructure funding being a bigger priority than pay rises..... especially when the budget still is in deficit

But, hey..... What do I know, I'm just blinded by jealousy (apparently).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

No I am saying that it wont happen in 2016 which was always my point..I would be hoping in 2017/18 that we will have our deficit gone and after this we can alleviate tax payers then and only then pay rises for ps but only for those who deserve it. If you look at my approach I have always said it would not happen when we have to start paying water (2016) and while we are still borrowing which will be at least up until 2018 and after tax cuts..

You keep changing history, here is the exchange of posts:

I will be voting for anyone who is against pay rises in the public sector and by keeping it in focus on here and other boards which are looked at.
    Godge wrote: »
    I can guarantee that every party in the next election will be promising to examine and restore pay for at least some public servants.

There might be a fringe lunatic independent (Shane Ross?) who might argue against it.
    I think you will find FG will not be for it. Only one Labour Minister is spouting this nonsense

Now, you have said that FG will not be for "it" which can only refer to "promising to examine and restore pay for at least some public servants" which is the post you quoted, and that is different to what you are now saying.

• Advertisement

You really are grasping for a strong argument here, but again you are failing.

Being critical of the a government awarding pay increases to peak levels automatically, while still running a €5 bn deficit is not born out of your infantile accusation of jealousy.

Personally I see reversing the disastrous near decade long strangulation of infrastructure funding being a bigger priority than pay rises..... especially when the budget still is in deficit

But, hey..... What do I know, I'm just blinded by jealousy (apparently).

Not "pay increases" and not "pay rises".

An agreed upon restoration of pay cuts.

A year or two back people were demanding pay cuts and when they occurred they were refusing to admit that they were pay cuts at all.

Now that the Govt is talking about restoring the cuts they are being referred to as "pay rises".

Unbelievable.

Advertisement