Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

Last question - who do spurs think they are by fielding weak teams in the last 32 of a European competition? We have won nothing this season or for many seasons...we are not big enough (yet) to be putting weak teams out in any competition. It's infuriating, thankfully I'm not one of the fans who travelled!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Then why risk Kane at 3-0 down

I thought is was a stupid move as I had previously posted.

Don't know why Pooch did that?

Baffelling :confused:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

First time we've conceeded 3 all season right?

Best team (by far) won. Can't really argue with it, as Poch has clearly decided to focus on the league. Those 11 players don't start if we had planned on winning the game. Dortmund cruised to that, and we barely ever threatened. Tripper was poor, as was most of the team to be honest.

It does show up the squad a bit though, as we are not even close to the like software Dortmund at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

The maddening thing is we prioritized the Florentina game over Palace in the cup, we could be playing Reading for a place in Wembley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Thank fcuk. Utter waste of time for a competition we were never gonna win.

I agree. Pity we didn't go out earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Surly no point in playing full strength team in the second leg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Its now league or bust. Clear heads and lets go. Maybe I'm a negative git but we, along with Leicester, will not have this opportunity again next season that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

If we get the right result at villa and Bournemouth then all this will be forgotten.

If we drop points at either on the other....

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

I'd agree with eoinola. Last 32 of a European competition, massive game versus Dortmund and we're out already before the 1st leg.

Totally outclassed, these are the teams we'll face in the champions league and if the bubble bursts and we fail to qualify from the league then major questions need to be asked.

Losing to palace is another thing, i for 1, want us to win something. Reading at home for a cup semi final. I know its been a good season but if we finish 5th and limp out of both cups then it has to be a disappointment. Bad bad week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Yes I agree with pretty much everything everyone us saying but we are only two points worse off in the league than two games ago.

This has been the time where Poch's teams run out of steam. This is where we see whether Poch has learnt from the past or not.

We have got to keep the faith in him. He is personally my favourite manager since Martin Jol. I think we need to not have a knee jerk reaction.

Dortmund have played many less games than us. We've got players who are starting to fatigue and need to be rested if we want to maintain our position in the league. I dont particularly see anything wrong with the side he put out except for bringing key players on late.

I like to wait for the season to end before passing judgment but at the moment I'm still incredibly delighted with how our season has been. Look at the squad Loch is moulding. Look at the team spirit until now. If there's a man I'd pick to get this teams morale back up after a couple of weeks of hardship its Pochettino.

9 wins please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Last night was awful but the decision to play that team must have been done in order to get 6 points over the next two league games.

I have no problem with that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Glebee

Disappointed with last night result and in my opinion its not a fair representation of the Spurs team. Was really looking forward to see how a full strenght Spurs team hungry to progress would have got on against a Champions League side. Would much rather we went out against Florence in previous round than have to play a full strength Dorthmund side with a weekened team.. Thats 3 dissapointing results on the trot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I have no problem with playing a weak team in the Europa (I hate the tournament in it's current format), I just don't get why Kane, Dembele and Lamela were brought on.

Th tournament should be used for non-first team starters and youth players - it was where the likes of Kane cut his teeth in front of the WHL crowd and where Townsend/Livermore could be in the shop window so that we can justify their £8m+ transfer fees.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't even think our first 11 would have beaten Dortmund last night. They are a great team, and played really well. Controlled the game from the start, and didn't really give us a chance to get into the game. They actually played a lot like we do, just better.

I'm not happy about being (effectively) out of the tournament, but we just have to pick ourselves up and get back on track. Definitely the worst few weeks in a long time, with 2 losses and a draw over the last 3 games.
    MrKingsley wrote: »
    I have no problem with that

As long as we actually get the 6 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

tournament should be used for non-first team starters and youth players - it was where the likes of Kane cut his teeth in front of the WHL crowd and where Townsend/Livermore could be in the shop window so that we can justify their £8m+ transfer fees.

That's pretty much how I feel. Format sucks balls, should be a straight knock out after the group stages. It's like a noose around your neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

So for the return leg will he play the same side?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    So for the return leg will he play the same side?

Vorm

Trippier - Carter Vickers - Wimmer - Davies

Mason - Carroll

Onomah - Winks - Chadli

Son

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

irishmover wrote:
    Dortmund have played many less games than us. We've got players who are starting to fatigue and need to be rested if we want to maintain our position in the league. I dont particularly see anything wrong with the side he put out except for bringing key players on late.

As far as i know, Dortmund have played the same amount of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

It was dissappointing alright..

But that was without doubt our weakest starting 11 this season playing against the strongest starting 11 we've faced this season.

Luckily we only got bet 3-0.

As someone said, The Fa Cup wouldve been nicer.

But, i feel Poch gave the likes of Onamah and Carroll more experience .....

I wouldve loving to see us give it a real go, but we are 2nd in the league.....

Ive been envious of Leicester who have no distractions or risk of tiredness from here on in....Now we have that advantage too.

Plus, im extra confident now for the Villa game.

Wouldnt dream of giving out about Poch...even though im dissappointed.

Im never gonna be "one of them fans".

COYS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Normally I would be raging over sacrificing this comp after coming so far but considering our position in the league I can accept it,Leicester have only one comp to concentrate on and now Arsenal are in the same boat,we would be under some pressure in the league if we progressed in Europa,play the reserves tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Dier and Alli start but Kane doesn't.

(Eriksen and Dembele out)

Strange line up.

Either we are out and are prioritising the league or we are all in and try to turn the result around from the 1st leg. This is a half way house*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Dier and Alli start but Kane doesn't.

(Eriksen and Dembele out)

Strange line up.

Either we are out and are prioritising the league or we are all in and try to turn the result around from the 1st leg. This is a half way house*

I'd say it's a tricky one for Poch. He has his priority but also has to ( or feels he should) take into account fans going to game, the competition itself and maybe other things in background. Hope Harry isn't used tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Tottenham Hotspur ‏@SpursOfficial 40m40 minutes ago
    #THFC team: Lloris (c), Trippier, Alderweireld, Wimmer, Davies; Dier, Mason; Chadli, Alli, Lamela; Son #COYS

COYS!

The game is about glory guys....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Use the long ball lads. They push too far up the pitch. If Bayern have no problem using that tactic we shouldn't

Tough Game ahead
    ;)
    COYS

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

These are the nights and the big teams we want at the lane. Albeit in the CL. I'd love to be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

****e

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

What a goal!

• Advertisement

Free shots at the Lane :confused:

Advertisement