Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread

Options
  • 08-08-2014 12:26pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

AEL Limassol in the Play Off game, away Aug 21st, home Aug 28th

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Haven't we played them before?

Will be interesting to see if Poch plays a 2nd string team, or actually goes for it. As he said in an interview recently, he's never liked the competition, but now that the winners get a CL spot, it's a much more appealing prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

So, dropped point at home to QPR on Sunday the 24th and Liverpool on Sunday the 31st it is then. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

So, dropped point at home to QPR on Sunday the 24th and Liverpool on Sunday the 31st it is then. Excellent.

We have more than enough players to make 11 changes and still beat a Cypriot team comfortably

Indeed we have, as we have had the last 3 or 4 years. But will we make 11 changes .. thats the problem.

Indeed we have, as we have had the last 3 or 4 years. But will we make 11 changes .. thats the problem.

There are lots of ways to do it while still involving first choice players in both games. Bring 3 off early in Cyprus and 3 different players off early on the Sunday, make 5 changes. Nobody plays all of both games.

But it's not always necessary. Some players are naturally fit and it actually improves their fitness to play 2 games in the space of 3 days.

And of course there is the travelling factor, but only one of the games will involve a trip to Cyprus, and we'll never have 2 away games on the following Sunday.

Champions League teams have to deal with pretty much the same thing. It just takes organisation and a big squad. We certainly have the numbers.

• Advertisement

The players should be fresh seeing as it the very start of the season. The away game will be our 2nd competitive game of the season and 2 days before QPR.

It could be worse, we could be playing someone a lot better but these newly promoted teams are dangerous in the opening weeks of the EPL and Harry will have them well fired up for his return to wHL.

The home match is 2 days before the Liverpool game. Hopefully these games against the Cypriots will be a good opportunity for our strikers to start knocking in goals early in the season and their confidence will be high going into the Liverpool game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Nice handy one to start us of in the EL.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Are we on the box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

ITV4

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    ITV4

just checked listings and no sign of it

• Advertisement

Hatch99 wrote: »
    just checked listings and no sign of it

Don't think it's listed as yet Hatch, definitely on though!

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/ecl-qualifying/match/tottenham-hotspur-ael-3758355/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Will i be able to watch this on UPC? Couldnt watch the last pre season game on UPC, due to rights restrictions you cant view this in your area etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Don't think it's listed as yet Hatch, definitely on though!

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/ecl-qualifying/match/tottenham-hotspur-ael-3758355/

That is the second leg man, I don't think the away leg is televised this Thursday.

Ah balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

One stream announced already, should be viewable.
    http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=274157&part=sports

I see 5 of the XI who started at West Ham didn't travel to Cyprus which is encouraging.

One report suggested up to 9 changes to last Saturdays team selection with only Lloris and Naughton expected to start ...

Hoping to see Vorm and Davies play some part.

Will he go with Kane or Soldado up front.

I see 5 of the XI who started at West Ham didn't travel to Cyprus which is encouraging.

One report suggested up to 9 changes to last Saturdays team selection with only Lloris and Naughton expected to start ...

Hoping to see Vorm and Davies play some part.

Will he go with Kane or Soldado up front.

Plenty of changes alright I'd imagine, huge squad at the minute so should be well capable of making changes and qualifying easily. Hope soldado plays and scores, a few putting themselves in the shop window you'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Plenty of changes alright I'd imagine, huge squad at the minute so should be well capable of making changes and qualifying easily. Hope soldado plays and scores, a few putting themselves in the shop window you'd imagine.

Does he not become cup tied if he plays

Does he not become cup tied if he plays

Can't see him being sold at this stage, would be shocked if he was. Not many top strikers available at the minute, can see us being left with the 3 we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Spurs -1 @ 13/10.
    Spurs -2 @ 10/3.

Will we whop them like we did in Tblisi last year?
    New manager this time around, all trying to impress.....
    Tblisi would have been a stronger challenge?
    Bashed them 5-0 away.
    Having said that, Zenit only beat them 3-1 at home i think???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Spurs -1 @ 13/10.
    Spurs -2 @ 10/3.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/ael-vs-spurs-team-news-200814/

Looks like we have the latter stage World Cup players playing.

So it should be a strong, if slightly unfit, Spurs team out.

My guess;

Lloris/Friedel

Naughton - Dawson - Vertonghen - Davies

Sandro - Dembele

Chadli - Paulinho - Kane

Soldado

Having said that, Zenit only beat them 3-1 at home i think???

Oh and they beat Zenit 1-0 at home (:eek:) the lost 3-0 away in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

are we only on streams today or are setanta/3e or any of them showing us?

are we only on streams today or are setanta/3e or any of them showing us?

Just streams, home leg will be televised though.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/ael-vs-spurs-team-news-200814/

My guess;

Lloris/Friedel

Naughton - Dawson - Vertonghen - Davies

Sandro - Dembele

Chadli - Paulinho - Kane

Soldado

I agree with your prediction. Kind of a labored looking front 4 but should be enough to beat them guys.

Be interesting to see if Paulinho starts and what is position, role will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

OnsBall DOT com

Will have the game for those wondering.

Summer signing Michel Vorm as not registered for the qualifying round.

Odd. Davies was.

Odd. Davies was.

I heard on Sky Sports that Vorm is on some special training regime. Maybe he just wouldn't be fit for the early rounds, so they didn't bother...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Starting line-up: Lloris (c); Naughton, Dier, Vertonghen, Davies; Bentaleb, Paulinho; Holtby, Townsend, Kane; Soldado.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Starting line-up: Lloris (c); Naughton, Dier, Vertonghen, Davies; Bentaleb, Paulinho; Holtby, Townsend, Kane; Soldado.

I like it. Plenty of quality there, but only 4 who started against the Hammers, one of whom is Lloris, who doesn't need resting, and Naughton, who is facing a suspension.

Looks like 4-2-3-1 formation again, unless Holtby is playing right midfield in a 4-4-2.

Advertisement