Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

tippspur wrote: »
    Can we appeal that card?

Don't think so, think you can only appeal a yellow if it's mistaken identity

Saw online the lane was singing "no noise from the pasta boys"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

With Napoli going out, it probably makes us favourites alongside Dortmund.

To be honest there isn't really a bad side left in the competition. They're all quality sides with the exception of maybe Basel and Sparta Prague.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Very good performance, great result. I honestly cant remember enjoying watching a spurs team as much as this.

The mentality thats been created is immense. These guys go out believing they will win every match they play.

Same on sunday pretty please

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Very good performance, great result. I honestly cant remember enjoying watching a spurs team as much as this.

The mentality thats been created is immense. These guys go out believing they will win every match they play.

Same on sunday pretty please

It's great that we can lose the backbone of out team and still put in a performance like that, Verts, Dembele and Kane. Mason impressed me last night, shows we have another good midfield option. We have players all over the pitch that can score and don't rely on Kane. Eriksen was outstanding, could easily have been on the scoresheet. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Round of 16
    SC Braga (POR)
    Fenerbahçe SK (TUR)
    Valencia CF (ESP)
    Liverpool FC (ENG)
    AC Sparta Praha (CZE)
    SS Lazio (ITA)
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
    Athletic Club (ESP)
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER)
    Tottenham Hotspur FC (ENG)
    Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    Manchester United FC (ENG)
    Sevilla FC (ESP)
    Villarreal CF (ESP)
    FC Basel 1893 (SUI)
    RSC Anderlecht (BEL)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Round of 16
    SC Braga (POR)
    Fenerbahçe SK (TUR)
    Valencia CF (ESP)
    Liverpool FC (ENG)
    AC Sparta Praha (CZE)
    SS Lazio (ITA)
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
    Athletic Club (ESP)
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER)
    Tottenham Hotspur FC (ENG)
    Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    Manchester United FC (ENG)
    Sevilla FC (ESP)
    Villarreal CF (ESP)
    FC Basel 1893 (SUI)
    RSC Anderlecht (BEL)

You don't want to be going to the Ukraine or Turkey on a Thursday. All the others are 3 hours or less. Ideally a short trip to one of the minnows - Utd or Liverpool. ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anderlecht are who i'd want to play. Not far to travel, and we've already beaten them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Deise Vu wrote: »
    You don't want to be going to the Ukraine or Turkey on a Thursday. All the others are 3 hours or less. Ideally a short trip to one of the minnows - Utd or Liverpool. ðŸ˜

I wouldn't want an English team either, purely because the hype around it will distract from our league efforts.

Anderlecht or Basel would be good, a trip to Ukraine or Turkey would be the worst outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Oh Balls!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We got Dortmund. Very tough, but should be a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭prodsc

Away to Dortmund first leg!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Ouch, away to Borrusia Dortmund

Great stuff lads. Dortmund will be two great games I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

With Napoli going out, it probably makes us favourites alongside Dortmund.

If we beat Dortmund we should win the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

irishmover wrote:
    To be honest there isn't really a bad side left in the competition. They're all quality sides with the exception Man United

Fixed your post mate.

Both games are before Villa away and Bournemouth home.

Should stick out a strong side and go for it.

So it'll be Dortmund (a), villa (a), Dortmund (h), Bournemouth (h).

Probably the best time to meet them in order to keep our title chances still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Brill, cant wait for that. Hopefully we are still going strong at that stage. At least we are away first with the return leg on St Paddys night i believe...
    Should be a great tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭prodsc

irishmover wrote: »
    Both games are before Villa at home and Bournemouth away.

Should stick out a strong side and go for it.

Away to Villa & home to Bournemouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Dortmund in similar form to ourselves and don't tend to concede too many either. It'll be tight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Can't wait for this, will be a real European night, like a proper Champions League match.

Whoever goes through will be favourite to win the trophy.

Players should be buzzed getting Dortmund.

Can't wait, should be a great two games. The winner of this will be favourites win the whole thing out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

17th of March for the second leg, tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Euro beginnings – Borussia Dortmund started this season's Europa League campaign in the third qualifying round, beating Austrian side Wolfsberger AC 6-0 on aggregate.

Making progress – They then beat Norwegian side Odd 11-5 on aggregate in the play-off round before finishing second in Group C behind Krasnodar with 10 points from their six games. PAOK and Gabala were also in their group.

Qualifying for last 16 – Dortmund beat Porto 3-0 on aggregate in the round of 32, winning 2-0 at home and 1-0 away.

Form – Dortmund have won 11 and drawn one of their last 12 games in all competitions.

League – Their most recent outing in the German Bundesliga saw them win 1-0 at Bayer Leverkusen on Sunday (February 21).

Standings – Dortmund are currently second in the Bundesliga table with 51 points from 22 games (W16, D3, L3).

Stadium – Dortmund play their homes games at Signal Iduna Park, a venue which hosted matches at the 1974 and 2006 FIFA World Cup finals.

Boss – Dortmund are managed by Thomas Tuchel, who was previously in charge at 1. FSV Mainz 05.

Marksman – Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is Dortmund’s top scorer this season with 31 goals in all competitions, including 21 in the Bundesliga.

Player connections – We signed midfielder Steffen Freund from Borussia Dortmund in 1998. He won the 1995 and 1996 Bundesliga titles with them, as well as the 1997 Champions League. Defender Young-Pyo Lee left us for Borussia Dortmund in 2008.

Past meetings – We beat Borussia Dortmund 3-0 in the Feyenoord Jubileum Tournament in Rotterdam in August, 2008, thanks to goals from Darren Bent, Giovani dos Santos and Jamie O'Hara. We also drew 1-1 in a pre-season friendly away to Dortmund in August, 2006, with Dimitar Berbatov on target for us. In May, 1950, we beat Borussia Dortmund 4-0 during a tour of Germany and Belgium with Sonny Walters, Len Duquemin, Eddie Baily and Harry Gilberg on target. A year later we met them in the Festival of Britain tournament, with goals from Baily and Peter Murphy giving us a 2-1 win.

Fixtures – We’ll play the first leg of this year’s Europa League round of 16 tie at Signal Iduna Park on Thursday, March 10, before hosting the return match at White Hart Lane on Thursday, March 17.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

There I was hoping for an easy draw and hopefully cruise to the final then we draw the probable favorites and I'm giddy at the thought of it. Really looking forward to this tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'm delighted, who the hell wants to play FC Basel? Dortmund are the level of team we'll be hoping to beat if and when we get into the champions league. Be a great game too.

• Advertisement

Certain German players have a arrogance about them. Would love to stuff these fúckers. Atmosphere will be electric.

Advertisement