Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are your children fat? Why are they fat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

DaveDaRave wrote: »
    Bread ?

Breadcrumb ,Batter ,Vegetable Oil ,Breadcrumb: Wheat Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast, Paprika, Turmeric ,Batter: Wheat Flour, Water, Salt, Potato Starch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Nanazolie wrote: »
    fish fingers contain about 50% of fish, so you can guess what the rest is made of.
    Breadcrumb ,Batter ,Vegetable Oil ,Breadcrumb: Wheat Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast, Paprika, Turmeric ,Batter: Wheat Flour, Water, Salt, Potato Starch

Nope, wouldn't have guessed all of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Apologies if this was posted already - haven't read the whole thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

There needs to be a sugar tax of some sort brought in to deal with all the crap children are eating!

Exercise is a habit created early in life and it's the parents duty to introduce it early in life.

When I was a kid I had to cycle everywhere and rarely got 'lifts'. Luckily enough the habit has stayed with me and I run and cycle 5-6 times a week. If I didn't I would be pretty fat since I have a large appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

IMO if your children are overweight, you, the parents, are to blame.

I'm sick of hearing the same old tired excuses people give that they don't have the time or money to feed their children healthy foods or that they just can't get their children to eat anything but sugary fatty foods.

If you have the money to by all those processed meals that aren't actually food, and have the time to cook them then of course you have the time and money to buy proper ingredients and prepare decent healthy meals.

Healthy food doesn't have to cost a fortune. If you really genuinely can't afford the few euros it might cost to say buy a nice piece of fish/meat/poultry and some fresh veg then you could grow your own veg like my Father does and just by the fish or the meat or the poultry. And it really doesn't take all to grill a nice fillet of fish and boil some veg to go with it.

And as for the excuse that your children just won't eat anything but junk, that's rubbish. It's up to parents to teach their children how to eat properly and if all they eat is crap then it's because you taught them that's ok.

Your children's health shouldn't have to suffer just because you are too lazy to put any effort into meals.

Of course the fact that children are allowed to spend hours on end in front to television/games etc because parents couldn't be bother to or are to lazy to help them find other more active ways to amuse themselves doesn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

AudreyHepburn, you might want to read this: http://institutefornaturalhealing.com/2011/04/the-economics-of-obesity-why-are-poor-people-fat/

As for growing your own vegetables, I'm lucky enough to have an allotment, but it's a misconception that growing your own fruits and vegs will be cheaper. It's not, unless someone gives you the tools, the seeds and pays for the compost, the allotment's rent, etc. The benefits are that it is quite satisfying, it's good exercise, the food is fresher and tastier, and it might entice the kids to eat what they grow.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

John_Rambo wrote: »
    What crèche is frying chips and baking pizzas?

Just so you know, fish is actually good for you. Most toddlers I know eat fish a few times a week, even if it's in breadcrumbs!

Agreed, fish fingers and beans are a dream snack for kids along with milk and the fun bit is that they make you burp and fart. All round perfect for nutrition and entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Fish fingers are grand. You can flesh out the ingredients by repeating them twice in the one sentence, but they are good. A great fish introduction for kids that haven't grown up on fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Learn to count your calories and have some form of exercise a few days a week likewalking dog,walking to the shops even if it amounts to 10 mins it still helps,doing pushups etc that you can do at home for free and you won't be fat.

People always look for excuses these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭lightspeed

There needs to be a sugar tax of some sort brought in to deal with all the crap children are eating!

Exercise is a habit created early in life and it's the parents duty to introduce it early in life.

When I was a kid I had to cycle everywhere and rarely got 'lifts'. Luckily enough the habit has stayed with me and I run and cycle 5-6 times a week. If I didn't I would be pretty fat since I have a large appetite.

A sugar tax does not work. They tried a soda tax in Denmark and reversed it after Danish business's suffered as people went to bordering countries such as Germany. Do it here and people will shop more in northern Ireland.

http://news.msn.com/world/sweet-denmark-to-repeal-soda-tax

Better planning permission where if it the council have a choice of having an empty shop or take away, they should opted for the empty shop for the benefit of the public in the long term. However of course that would mean the collection of less of council rates paid by business's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

I've three - all skinny yokes and they eat all around them, crap included. They exercise though and are on the go all day. Could just be jammy genes though.

I'm sure someone's replied to you already I haven't clicked to page 2 yet. But I seriously hope you don't actually let them eat crap all the time. That's a recipe for disaster right there (excuse the pun). Mood swings, personality disorders and susceptibility to other diseases later in life. Get educated there's no excuse any more. I don't see how you think that's something to be proud of. I was raised by a laxy daisy father with junk food too and also have the skinny genes but believe me I still paid for it in other ways later on. Junk food can lead to other addictions too. Sorry if it seems overly judgmental but I doubt I'm alone in the opinion that its utterly thick to let your kids eat whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

This appeared on my timeline today. It's an American fitness instructor going on a rant about "repulsive" fat people raising fat children, and the damage they are doing to their children's health and life quality.

What do you think? Probably a bit harsh, but difficult to contradict, in my view. Education clearly isn't working, everybody knows the dangers of unhealthy eating. Maybe it's time to stigmatize this behavior, like drink-driving and cigarette smoking?

http://www.theladbible.com/articles/a-stupid-drill-sergeant-and-fitness-motivator-has-gone-on-a-rant-about-fat-people?utm_source=lboz&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=lboz
    John Burk is an American Drill Sergeant and self proclaimed 'fitness motivator' who has been doing the rounds on Facebook after posting a video blasting 'lazy' and 'repulsive' fat people.

Needless to say, some people are not feeling very motivated by his 5-minute rant. Here's a snippet to help you make you're own mind up:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 758 ✭✭✭JacquesSon

Irish kids are doomed to fatness.

Parents keep them indoors with tv and internet, shovel feed them crap food and would rather buy them a replica shirt for X-mas than a pair of boots/[insert practical sports equipment here].

Is this one issue that Irish people can own up to being responsible for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Neither of my kids have even a speck of excess fat on them.

Slim and fit as fiddles, both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 758 ✭✭✭JacquesSon

osarusan wrote: »
    Neither of my kids have even a speck of excess fat on them.

Slim and fit as fiddles, both.

I reckon I, and everyone I grew up with, did 4-5hrs minimum physical activity everday.

I doubt kids these days go anywhere close to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

conorh91 wrote: »

He'll have a stroke if he doesn't chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Are my children Fat? NO

Why are they Fat? Are you ****ing deaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My daughter tried on a debs dress today. Size 10 was too big.

Yes, there are lots of parents whose children are not fat.

But one quarter of nine-year olds are too fat. That suggests to me that there are a lot of parents of fat children shuffling away from this thread, ignoring the truth they know, that their dietary policy is endangering the health of their children.

You can shuffle but you can't hide.

Where are the parents of the fat children? 25% of the child population? Put down the cake and tell us why you're letting this health epidemic happen to defenceless children?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

This appeared on my timeline today. It's an American fitness instructor going on a rant about "repulsive" fat people raising fat children, and the damage they are doing to their children's health and life quality.

What do you think? Probably a bit harsh, but difficult to contradict, in my view. Education clearly isn't working, everybody knows the dangers of unhealthy eating. Maybe it's time to stigmatize this behavior, like drink-driving and cigarette smoking?

http://www.theladbible.com/articles/a-stupid-drill-sergeant-and-fitness-motivator-has-gone-on-a-rant-about-fat-people?utm_source=lboz&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=lboz

He's "gonna attack society's bullsh*t view that we should accept everybody for who they are"

And is he not right? Fat people are "disgusting". They are not a true reflection of how the nordic race should look.

The underclass who get excessively drunk and who smoke should be reeducated. Television should be more strictly controlled as it is the medium of moralistic instruction - nothing that promotes bad behaviour should be permitted.

Parents who are incapable of raising their children in the true style of the arian should be replaced as custodians by the state! The state, as the highest source of wisdom will always be more correct than the mob - the fact that many people look a certain way, do a certain thing, or believe a certain falsehood does not make it right. Only those with the knowledge to say what is right or what is wrong should be listened to in such matters.

People are generally weak and not to be trusted with big decisions. Therefore we should treat education only a partial tool in the sculpting of society. What sort of parent allows a child to behave however it wants? And as the state is the parent of the polis, so it should intervene with a strong hand, and force its offspring to behave in a correct manner.

The burden of society may shuffle, but they cannot hide from the piercing gaze of those faithful to the party and the state!

But how can the state be strong when its people are sick - a sickness that is a consequence of the freedom of decadent consumerism. For too long have we sat idly by and allowed people indecent liberty to abuse themselves and their offspring, when their duty is to safeguard the health of themselves and the next generation. What is more, an impure body leads to an impure mind. That is why we have so much discontent in our country; a people who are at their wits end, and beyond the capacity of seeing the strength that a unified will would achieve.

Am I getting the gist of it right?

• Advertisement

They are not a true reflection of how the nordic race should look.
    Television should be more strictly controlled as it is the medium of moralistic instruction - nothing that promotes bad behaviour should be permitted.
    Parents who are incapable of raising their children in the true style of the arian should be replaced as custodians by the state!
    When you cannot turn to reason, turn sarcastically instead to straw men.

Nobody suggested anything racist; nobody suggested that totalitarianism is a solution.

This is an issue of public health: child public health, in particular. One in Four children in this country are too fat for their age.

The responsibility for this health crisis lies with parents.
    The solution to this health crisis is better parenting.

There is nothing racist or totalitarian about that. It is inexcusable for parents to expose their children to serious health problems and diminished quality of life through obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I honestly can't stand people like that bloke in the video. Everybody with a six-pack is an expert when it comes to eating disorders. But only over-eating, oddly enough. They wouldn't dare say a word about anorexia. We live in a society where it's okay to tell fat people to stop eating, but to tell an anorexia suffer to start eating would be deemed insensitive. Am I wrong? It's bull****.

If you reach the 'morbidly obese' or 'obese' category then you need a therapist a lot more than a f*cking gym membership. If you've got that much fat on your body it suggests a very real and very serious problem that, believe it or not, Mr Motivator can't help you with. He can't.

Sure, he can put you on a treadmill, knock up an eating plan, but he's absolutely not going to remove the reason behind your excessive eating, is he? Do you know why? Because he doesn't have those skills. It's so simple. I'd trust him to transform a skinny bloke into somebody who looks like him - barring the hilariously sh*t tattoos - but I'd never in a million years trust him to transform an obese person into a slim one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Government should put warning on ****ty foods, every time MacDonalds and coca-cola etc imply that there junk will make you happy, there should also be a warning saying this junk is gonna make you fat and unattractive. Just like they did with smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Yes, there are lots of parents whose children are not fat.

But one quarter of nine-year olds are too fat. That suggests to me that there are a lot of parents of fat children shuffling away from this thread, ignoring the truth they know, that their dietary policy is endangering the health of their children.

You can shuffle but you can't hide.

Where are the parents of the fat children? 25% of the child population? Put down the cake and tell us why you're letting this health epidemic happen to defenceless children?

Yep, that should definitely draw them out of the woodwork for a good pillorying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's up to you as a parent to feed them properly, it's nothing of the State's concern. Personal responsibility for your own. A kid needs his/her parents to give him/her three square healthy meals a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Was at an in laws kids birthday party yesterday, we have an 18 month old so his awareness to the whole thing was low, but we went for appearances sake, anyway, everyone kept asking what will he have, will he have a bun, crisps, jellies, chocolate, nah I said, he might have a taste, but would end up on the floor. Then the fried food came out, Oh will he have some chips, chicken nuggets, onion rings, again I said the same thing will happen, it will end up on the floor. This was met by strange looks, and someone saying, Oh does he not eat solids, to which I replied, yes indeed he does but he doesn't get ****e like this. I know it's a party but he's too little for all that crap, he'll get enough of it in years to come. But honestly, the looks I was getting, and then the 'Grandma' saying ah give him this and that, the poor mite wants some (he didn't even know). So to my complete delight when she gave him a fork full of a cake she made he spat it straight out and did a big shiver all over. Ha.
    I know I probably sound like one of those over protective parents, but really I'm not, I just don't want my kid unhealthy with rotting teeth, before they are two, as far as I'm concerned, letting kids eat whatever they want and then them being overweight is a form of child abuse, it's not the child's fault they are overweight, they aren't going out and buying the food, the parents are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Was at an in laws kids birthday party yesterday, we have an 18 month old so his awareness to the whole thing was low, but we went for appearances sake, anyway, everyone kept asking what will he have, will he have a bun, crisps, jellies, chocolate, nah I said, he might have a taste, but would end up on the floor. Then the fried food came out, Oh will he have some chips, chicken nuggets, onion rings, again I said the same thing will happen, it will end up on the floor. This was met by strange looks, and someone saying, Oh does he not eat solids, to which I replied, yes indeed he does but he doesn't get ****e like this. I know it's a party but he's too little for all that crap, he'll get enough of it in years to come. But honestly, the looks I was getting, and then the 'Grandma' saying ah give him this and that, the poor mite wants some (he didn't even know). So to my complete delight when she gave him a fork full of a cake she made he spat it straight out and did a big shiver all over. Ha.
    I know I probably sound like one of those over protective parents, but really I'm not, I just don't want my kid unhealthy with rotting teeth, before they are two, as far as I'm concerned, letting kids eat whatever they want and then them being overweight is a form of child abuse, it's not the child's fault they are overweight, they aren't going out and buying the food, the parents are.

you are such a nazi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

strelok wrote: »
    you are such a nazi

Not really. The kid is 18 months old and at that age has no interest in eating crap.
    It brings no pleasure to a kid of 18 months and as the poster said, plenty of time for eating crap when they are older.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

strelok wrote: »
    you are such a nazi

Ha, Oh I sure was yesterday, was the meanest, cruelest parent in the whole wide world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My young lad is 3.5 years old, and he hasn't an ounce of fat on him.
    He's a bit of a freak of nature though, he loves all fruit and veg (he'll actually request broccoli and spinach) and hates chips and fried food (we've given it to him but he won't eat it). He's only half Irish and I'm wondering what happened to his Irish genes, he won't eat spuds at all!

Advertisement