Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

ED E wrote: »
    More info needed. Does it overheat till it BSODs or just run hotter than you'd like?

You've one main intake at the front, ideally you want positive air pressure, so simplest course of action would be to pickup a nice big 140mm for the door and have it intake. That'll mean air is pushing in from front and side and will naturally exhaust out the rear for you.

Also, if using a stock cooler, dump it and get something decent (€30 cooler can be wayyyy better than the boxed unit).

I put on a €30 big cpu cooler already. I haven't seen whats happening myself, but I'm told the images were grayed out and not rendering properly. It happened late at night, so perhaps there was another cause. It may need some more troubleshooting.

There is also 8GB of ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Spent a portion of the morning reading about NVIDIA and all the accusations placed against them in relation to "Gameworks" and accusations that titles they are involved in, they do not permit develoeprs to work with AMD.

Have to say really against that practice and while there is plenty of doomsday scenarios across the community, its definitly not in the consumers interest to allow Nvidia continue their massive market share.

I was pretty certain I was going to buy a GT970, but had kept the AMD R9 290 as an option, as performance seems similar, but the 290 is cheaper. But from reading this morning would be hesitant to go buying an NVIDIA product and effectively saying I'm ok with what they are doing.

On the flipside, buy a 290 and it appears games tend to not run properly on them until patches arrive later down the line.

Has there been any discussion about this here? Seems substantial considering GPU's would be the core component for what most of us would use PC's for, gaming.

I've always skimpt when it came to GPU's, I've been someone who always valued FPS over cutting edge graphics, but could never justify the spend to get both. But after seeing the real benefits from getting other high end parts, I'm wanting to move up from my R9 270x.

Might hold off longer now and see how this plays out. Don't want to support Nvidia if those accusations turn out to be true, and don't want to buy an AMD if it means getting stiffed for every title that comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I'm the same, I was going to get a gtx 970 for my mini Itx rig to upgrade my gtx 670 as its small and cool running and fits my existing waterblock from the gtx 670.
    I am debating just sticking with AMD for both my main computers from now on until Nvidia get their act together (Very unlikely).
    I despise Nvidia's tactics of screwing customers of competing products rather than innovating and creating genuinely better hardware.
    The limit on memory bandwidth has always been a hindrance for me picking them for my main rig with 3 screens and now with Oculus and the likes that bandwidth limit will be even more apparent.
    The gameworks in the Witcher will hopefully blow up in their faces as with that game being severely downgraded it won't sell as many GPU's as they would have expected. If its not financially viable for them to screw AMD with gameworks they will stop.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Spent a portion of the morning reading about NVIDIA and all the accusations placed against them in relation to "Gameworks" and accusations that titles they are involved in, they do not permit develoeprs to work with AMD.

Have to say really against that practice and while there is plenty of doomsday scenarios across the community, its definitly not in the consumers interest to allow Nvidia continue their massive market share.

I was pretty certain I was going to buy a GT970, but had kept the AMD R9 290 as an option, as performance seems similar, but the 290 is cheaper. But from reading this morning would be hesitant to go buying an NVIDIA product and effectively saying I'm ok with what they are doing.

On the flipside, buy a 290 and it appears games tend to not run properly on them until patches arrive later down the line.

Has there been any discussion about this here? Seems substantial considering GPU's would be the core component for what most of us would use PC's for, gaming.

I've always skimpt when it came to GPU's, I've been someone who always valued FPS over cutting edge graphics, but could never justify the spend to get both. But after seeing the real benefits from getting other high end parts, I'm wanting to move up from my R9 270x.

Might hold off longer now and see how this plays out. Don't want to support Nvidia if those accusations turn out to be true, and don't want to buy an AMD if it means getting stiffed for every title that comes out.

I had an NVIDIA before my current 270x, I never really had "brand loyalty". For too long price solely has dictated my PC purchases. But it has been noticeable since using the 270x how many times I encounter driver issues relating to new games, or just performance related issues. That require drivers and patches and ****.

But while I was banked on a GTX970, and so many people have them, the 290 has definitly come into the mix, and NVIDIA's antics are not helping that decision in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I got a R9 290 last week after upgrading from a GTX 580. It's a good card and I mostly got it for the extra RAM. I don't own any games that max out the RAM but it is nice to have for future titles.

• Advertisement

Well after doing more reading today, I see since I was last looking at GPU's, NVIDIA hit a number of other contraversies. Mainly with the 970 having VRAM issues, and NVIDIA denying it being a thing.

Still plenty of people saying 970 the way to go, but it actually appears all those people on 1440, I'm 1080p gaming. So the 290 seems just as viable, and a good €70 cheaper in places.

Hmm, decisions decisions again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I set my PC off to do it's ultimate stress test on 4.5GHz today - 9 and a half hours.

No errors. The CPU's were only at 50 odd C for the last hour of the test though - not sure what the peak was. Didn't think to log it anywhere (maybe it did it automatically somewhere on Prime 95, CPUZ, MSI Afterburner or in Windows itself? Anyone know?).
    That seems strangely cool to me.

The puzzling thing is, it won't run SWTOR, which apparently can have issues running on unstable overclocks, and I've had the Witcher crash to desktop on me, before getting a BSOD moments later.

I did dial it back from 4.6 to 4.5 at that point, and I haven't really used it much since, other than to do the 9 hour stress test, so maybe that last 100MHz really did the trick, but I had already ran a 90 minute stress test on it at 4.6 and it had no problems then.

Any tips on stability and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Run a longer stress test. 9 hours isn't enough. Most of what I've read online says 18hours min, preferably 24

18 hours are you mad in the head. You are never going to be running your CPU maxed out for 18 hours in everyday tasks never mind 10 mins.

That isn't what I said. You want to weed out any possibly instabilities.

I'm far from an expert on this, I'm going from what I've read from other sources, most said what I've said about. Massively long torture test to weed out instabilities, as lots can pop up after 12-16 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Digital is correct. I've had OCs pass 6HRS prime but fail an overnighter. It wont be initially apparent if you dont test for it, you'll just get one or two random crashes per month when a bit happens to flip the wrong way.

Short tests while OCing(actually tweaking), then a long test to validate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Mother in-law is looking for a new laptop to bring with them on holidays to watch Netflix / Play movies from an ext HDD. Would something like this be enough?
    http://www.soundstore.ie/Product/toshiba-c50b14z-156-intel-dual-core-4gb500gb-laptop-with-3-year-warranty/8274/2218.0.0

Integrated graphics concern me..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Spotted this PC in a shop yesterday, picture attached below with specs. It had a basic looking motherboard and an Intel AIO cooler, case is an enthoo primo.

I got a good laugh when I saw the price, can't get over the level of gouging that goes on with pre-build rigs :)

They also had some very sexy 21:9 monitors, they look very impressive first hand.

Looking at about 1/3rd of that to build it :pac: Nice bitta highway robbery

glynf wrote: »
    Spotted this PC in a shop yesterday, picture attached below with specs. It had a basic looking motherboard and an Intel AIO cooler, case is an enthoo primo.

I got a good laugh when I saw the price, can't get over the level of gouging that goes on with pre-build rigs :)

They also had some very sexy 21:9 monitors, they look very impressive first hand.

Why does it have the price in a European format 3.889,00€ and not like this €3,889.00

Why does it have the price in a European format 3.889,00€ and not like this €3,889.00

Shop is in Barcelona, El corte Inglés. Masters of the art of gougery :)

Some way to make a living, spend 1500 on parts and sell for 4 Grand...

Wouldn't mind it if I was selling for half that!

Nice mark up indeed, electronics I Spain are not the cheapest.

Raptr seems to like ignoring the dont start on boot preference, bye bye raptr. GJ AMD.

Also, was gonna post a BA, but too slow :(
    May 19, 2015 11:44 AM	£88.00
    May 19, 2015 04:49 AM	£69.23
    May 18, 2015 09:59 PM	£88.63

WD Red 3TB for NAS 3.5-inch 

Sometimes when camelcamelcamel notifies you its time to instantly jump to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

ED E wrote: »
    Also, was gonna post a BA, but too slow :(
    May 19, 2015 11:44 AM    £88.00
    May 19, 2015 04:49 AM    £69.23
    May 18, 2015 09:59 PM    £88.63

WD Red 3TB for NAS 3.5-inch 

Sometimes when camelcamelcamel notifies you its time to instantly jump to.
    WOW. I never knew that CamelCamelCamel had price alerts. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

I'm guessing you'd sell it for a loss of over 400 including windows @2000.

I'll be the first to sign up if you're game :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

MC_G wrote: »
    I'm guessing you'd sell it for a loss of over 400 including windows @2000.

I'll be the first to sign up if you're game :-)

Windows can be had quite cheaply. :rolleyes:

papu wrote: »
    Windows can be had quite cheaply. :rolleyes:

Thanks! So you'll sell me the pc with windows for 2000 and make a killing on the software swap windows....:rolleyes:

Where are you getting windows for €900? Even full licences from MS are only like 200

I'd ship with Ubuntu anyways, plebeians :rolleyes:

Where are you getting windows for €900? Even full licences from MS are only like 200

I'd ship with Ubuntu anyways, plebeians :rolleyes:

Are you joking or a moron?

x99 mobo
    16gb of ddr4
    gtx 970 x2
    256gb ssd
    1tb hdd
    PSU
    Windows

Sell it to me for 2k!

Forgot the Case & Optical Disk too.

I've got my 2k handy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Danger781 wrote: »
    Mother in-law is looking for a new laptop to bring with them on holidays to watch Netflix / Play movies from an ext HDD. Would something like this be enough?
    http://www.soundstore.ie/Product/toshiba-c50b14z-156-intel-dual-core-4gb500gb-laptop-with-3-year-warranty/8274/2218.0.0

Integrated graphics concern me..

Anyone? I'm hesitant to recommend this..

MC_G wrote: »
    Are you joking or a moron?

5930k 600
    x99 mobo 200
    16gb of ddr4 160
    gtx 970 x2 720
    256gb ssd 90
    1tb hdd 55
    PSU 60
    Windows 270

Sell it to me for 2k!

Non software swap Windows totals it at 2155, 2220 with a middling case. Was thinking of 5820k, which is €200 cheaper. Can hit 1970 with SSWindows. Still interested?

• Advertisement

Danger781 wrote: »
    Anyone? I'm hesitant to recommend this..

It would be fine to watch videos on holiday although you can get virtually the same at pcworld for less.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement