Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

glynf wrote: »
    Maybe try adjusting fan speed? The filter maybe causing a small static pressure drop causing the fan to resonate/vibrate differently when its in place. Reducing/increasing the speed may stop it.

Dunno can I control those fans. They're just plugged into my mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My new R9 290 is pretty cool how it records your game play automatically. I was using the standard 720p @ 30fps but I upped it to 1080p @ 60fps and I watched it back it was a bit choppy for some reason, not bad just a bit but is noticeable, I might change it to 1080p at 30fps and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

My new R9 290 is pretty cool how it records your game play automatically. I was using the standard 720p @ 30fps but I upped it to 1080p @ 60fps and I watched it back it was a bit choppy for some reason, not bad just a bit but is noticeable, I might change it to 1080p at 30fps and see how it goes.

I think that's the Raptr Client, or Gaming Evolved or whatever. Drives me nuts, taking up my SSD with shíte

I think that's the Raptr Client, or Gaming Evolved or whatever. Drives me nuts, taking up my SSD with shíte

Have you not got a hard drive as well. I noticed that at first as well but I changed the save location to my hard drive so all is good, i also changed the settings to 1080p at 30fps and it is buttery smooth play back, at 60fps recording there was jittery play back.

Also Digital Solitude is there anything I can do to lower my R9 290 temps. I had MSI afterburner running in the background while I played a hour or so of GTA V and the max temp hit 94 degrees, which is very high. I was only reading after I got the card about how hot they can get.

• Advertisement

Yeah I do but I don't want it recording at all, had quite a few sessions before I got it properly switched off. Installing a cooler, turning down settings, more case fans or under clocking are the first things that come to mind

Yeah I do but I don't want it recording at all, had quite a few sessions before I got it properly switched off. Installing a cooler, turning down settings, more case fans or under clocking are the first things that come to mind

I have a lot of case fans but none bring air in from the room, they are all outward facing.

How do you mean by installing a cooler? Is it an aftermarket cooler?

I have a lot of case fans but none bring air in from the room, they are all outward facing.

Yeah, probably a bit extreme though, there's easier ways around it. If you've a side fan, twist it to pull air on top of the card. You should have a fan in taking on top of your hard drives too I think. Everything else facing out

I was messing around with fan settings in MSI afterburner just now and will play a game tomorrow some time to test temps and just keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You should set up the fans to create a through flow of air over your compnenets. Most modern cases are typically setup to intake at the front and exhaust through the rear and top (and possibly psu fan). Optional intake of cool external air from side mounted panel over GPU etc.

Having them all exhausting wont be very efficient, as the air in the case has to come from somewhere, and with them all exhausting. Re-arranging your fans should help.

I tend towards an additional intake fan (instead of exhaust) if i have an odd number of them, as it is supposed to help keep dust out of the case by maintaining positive pressure iside, not that i have noticed, always gets manky in the end :pac:

EDIT: I should have just posted this, explains much better than my ramblings above

sowz0j.jpg

• Advertisement

Mines not like that pic. Case must be about 6 years old. I have big out fan on top and other one at back both out. I have another two like the blue led one, one above each other and both are out. I do have a mesh at the side like above but only one and it is for a optional air input but I never got a fan for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Switch at least one of the fans at the front to an intake. Also could get another fan and use the side mount as an intake as well.

Personally id use the two front as intakes. You have plenty of exhaust with the rear and top fans

EoinHef wrote: »
    Switch at least one of the fans at the front to an intake. Also could get another fan and use the side mount as an intake as well.

Personally id use the two front as intakes. You have plenty of exhaust with the rear and top fans

Just changed the two led fans to intakes. Got a sheet of paper as well and it held tight against them so deffo both are intakes now. Also i have an Antec case, seen the logo on the bottom of the front.

*SNIP* Double post:(

Cool,theres a small arrow on one of the corners of each fan. Should show the direction of airflow.

Play a few games and see how you get on. If temps are still a bit high get a fan onto the side mount if you can

That remonids me I had a narrow case previously,with a side mount, but it was so narrow i couldnt fit the fan inside the case as there wasnt enough clearance from the graphics card, so mounted it outside the case, covered in black tights to protect against dust and inadvertent finger removal!

I would also back the two front intakes suggestion.

Is there anything I can do to lower my R9 290 temps. I had MSI afterburner running in the background while I played a hour or so of GTA V and the max temp hit 94 degrees, which is very high.

Well I had a 45 min session of GTA V single player and with the changes I made with the air intakes and also putting the fan on full at a lower temp with MSI Afterburner I reached a max temp of 63 degrees which is much lower than the previous 94 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Gbear wrote: »
    Dunno can I control those fans. They're just plugged into my mobo.

Most motherboards have some form of basic fan speed control at least. Try rebooting and giving a look in your BIOS.

What board do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Lu Tze wrote: »
    That remonids me I had a narrow case previously,with a side mount, but it was so narrow i couldnt fit the fan inside the case as there wasnt enough clearance from the graphics card, so mounted it outside the case, covered in black tights to protect against dust and inadvertent finger removal!

I would also back the two front intakes suggestion.

Black stockings?? I've hear of people describing their PC as sexy, but come on now.

:D

Black stockings?? I've hear of people describing their PC as sexy, but come on now.

:D

I would have been throwing them out anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Most motherboards have some form of basic fan speed control at least. Try rebooting and giving a look in your BIOS.

What board do you have?

AsRock Extreme 4 z77.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

For those interested, I was messing about with some video encoding stuff yesterday, here's what I found:

H.264:
    927MB in size, 3.9% CPU usage

H.265:
    543MB in size, 9.1% CPU usage

720p TV episode, encoded with Handbrake on High profile "fast" preset. Played in MCP-HC. I'd give encoding times, but they were done on two different systems. The 264 was done on my server (8-core atom), and the 265 was done on my desktop (4790K). Both took a little over an hour.

As soon as Plex gets H.265 support, I'll be doing the mother of all batch encodings. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Serephucus wrote: »
    For those interested, I was messing about with some video encoding stuff yesterday, here's what I found:

H.264:
    927MB in size, 3.9% CPU usage

H.265:
    543MB in size, 9.1% CPU usage

720p TV episode, encoded with Handbrake on High profile "fast" preset. Played in MCP-HC. I'd give encoding times, but they were done on two different systems. The 264 was done on my server (8-core atom), and the 265 was done on my desktop (4790K). Both took a little over an hour.

As soon as Plex gets H.265 support, I'll be doing the mother of all batch encodings. :P
    Just looked at my first ever ep in .265, don't know if it was a badly done job or what but at near 400mb, it was sh1te compared to a 285mb .264.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

These both looked identical, as far as I could tell. Must have been a bad copy, or maybe a dodgy/old codec or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I played with 265 encoding a couple months back. Slow as hell to run, but the results were stellar. Waiting for them to optimize it further before I compress all my old footage down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Might remember before christmas I moved from AMD to an intel i5, new motherboard and was toying with the idea of a new GPU.

After seeing monster improvements with FPS and performance, I'm all of a sudden getting a hankering for that 970 again. Dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Hi folks
    Looking for some suggestions on a case for a storage build.
    I'd like something that can hold 6 - 8 3.5" drives, ideally hot swappable but not necessary.
    Thinking of getting a Fractal Arc mini R2 but I said I'd throw the idea out here first in the hope of better suggestions.
    Budget is around €100 and the smaller the case is the better.
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Over budget but lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

That does indeed look lovely.
    I probably should have mentioned this but I didn't think I would be getting DTX / ITX suggestions...
    I already have an mATX board and CPU from an older project so ideally something that would accommodate that but I have to say I'm very tempted by that Silverstone DS380B, it would be perfect it if would take mATX board :(
    Also, budget is very flexible if the right case exists.

• Advertisement

SickBoy wrote: »
    That does indeed look lovely.
    I probably should have mentioned this but I didn't think I would be getting DTX / ITX suggestions...
    I already have an mATX board and CPU from an older project so ideally something that would accommodate that but I have to say I'm very tempted by that Silverstone DS380B, it would be perfect it if would take mATX board :(
    Also, budget is very flexible if the right case exists.

Fractal design node 804 maybe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement