Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

You loose half your memory bandwidth with single channel. Don't consider single channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

IIRC you can only install the matched dual channel ram, if you install 2x4 you would have to get another 2x4 if you were to upgrade later. Better off getting the 2x8 imo at least you have better choices later on. 16gb is plenty of wiggle room for multi tasking especially if you game on ultra you will find a single 8 or 4 is way too little. 16gb is plenty enough for the moment but definitely don't scrimp on your ram or cpu is my advise, future proof it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

will56 wrote: »
    Is there much of an impact using a single stick of RAM over 2 ?
    Cheaper to get 1 stick of 3000mhz ddrs 8gb than 2 X 4.
    PC used for gaming, Fortnite etc

It's fine in most scenarios, but there are some game engines that are sensitive to dual-channel vs single and can take huge performance hits.
    I'd pay the extra fiver or w/e for dual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Definitely dual channel. Single channel can led to horrible performance in quite a few games and cut your framerate by 50-80 percent.

Wouldn't affect something like Fortnite having said that, but will lead to frustration if you start playing some more recent AAA games.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I have a related question, say I have 3 identical 4GB DDR sticks, I run 2 in slots 1 and 3 for dual channel, I run the third in slot 2. Would I theoretically lose performance or would I still have the full memory bandwidth utilization funneled through slot 2?

• Advertisement

I have a related question, say I have 3 identical 4GB DDR sticks, I run 2 in slots 1 and 3 for dual channel, I run the third in slot 2. Would I theoretically lose performance or would I still have the full memory bandwidth utilization funneled through slot 2?

Unless things have changed... You can't run 3 slots if you have dual in the first slots you have to run 2 (4 slot) duals.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Unless things have changed... You can't run 3 slots if you have dual in the first slots you have to run 2 (4 slot) duals.

Yes I just did some more Googling, everything will run in single channel. Good to know. Things haven't changed :)

Download & run CPU-Z and check the Memory tab, but I suspect it will be single-channel UNLESS you're on LGA1366 which supports triple-channel.
    https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-dual-triple-and-quad-channel-memory-architectures/

Here's an interesting video of single vs dual channel:

Seperately, I managed to get 1x8GB and 1x4GB stock running in Dual Channel mode (same latency, same voltage, same brand).

sinnerboy0 wrote: »
    I have. They're grand. Forgot thermal paste when ordering and they were able to take a card for over the phone and add it to my package. Ordered online on Sunday evening. Was shipped with DPD on Monday morning and delivered first thing Wednesday. No complaints.

They advertised for the lowest price got to check out and they wanted £14.57 for delivery for an SSD. Amazon worked out cheaper in the end.

• Advertisement

Here's an interesting video of single vs dual channel:

Seperately, I managed to get 1x8GB and 1x4GB stock running in Dual Channel mode (same latency, same voltage, same brand).

Check out the monumental difference in BF5.

It's an interesting channel, he has a lot of dual v single channel comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

Young lad has a 6600k mitx rig, was thinking of upgrading it next year to a Ryzen build (possibly as far as Christmas 2019)....would I be mad to bother considering AM4 is expected to be phased out in 2020?

Inviere wrote: »
    Young lad has a 6600k mitx rig, was thinking of upgrading it next year to a Ryzen build (possibly as far as Christmas 2019)....would I be mad to bother considering AM4 is expected to be phased out in 2020?

Why even, 6600K is still a beast unless you're running into frame drops in highly-threaded engines.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Why even, 6600K is still a beast unless you're running into frame drops in highly-threaded engines.

I just want to ensure he has something that’s good for the next 4/5/6 years...things seem to be quickly moving away from what 4/4’s can handle, especially in the AAA realm. Next gen consoles and subsequent game development is almost certainly going to be Ryzen-esque/>4 cores.

I wonder if I should source a 6700k, to tide over until the successor to AM4 is released. At least then, AM5 might be good for a few cpu refreshes?

You'll get a few more years out of that 66. What GPU does he have?

You'll get a few more years out of that 66. What GPU does he have?

MSI Aero 1080Ti

I can see why but it'd be so much easier to just get a 2nd hand i7-6700k, when they pop up on CEX they go for €180 and they appear on Adverts every now and again for around 200.

6600K with a hefty overclock should still be able to hold good framerates though.

Anyone use Macrium Reflect. Just used the free version there to backup an image of my C drive. Does cloning to another SSD take long?

I'll be cloning my current 128gb SSD to a 500gb SSD sometime next week just wondering if cloning will take long to complete.

The image backup just took under 8mins to complete, thought that was lightening quick. Transfer rate 1.8Gb/s.

I'll be cloning, way too many installs to fresh install in case you're wondering.

6600K with a hefty overclock should still be able to hold good framerates though.

It’s an mitx build that lives inside a Core V1, hence the blower style 1080Ti. The 6600k is cooled by an NZXT 130mm AIO, and while it works wonderfully well, I don’t think the rad is big enough to handle substantial overclocking.

Not sure what to do because AM5 seems too close to bother investing in AM4 this time next year. At least with AM5, it should be a solid foundation for a few refreshes (ala Zen, Zen 1.5, and Zen 2 all on AM4). I don’t think I’d bother with a 6700k from CeX, I’d rather buy from a reputable enthusiast. There’s a brand new one on Adverts at the mo, but the price is pretty much full retail.

Well CPU's tend to either work or not, and CEX give a 2 year warranty.

A 6700K makes the most sense but only at a reasonable price eg around €200.

You could just sell the motherboard + 6600K and make a sideways move to Ryzen 1600 + cheap B450M, there'd barely be any cost associated with the move and it's much better then a) for the latest multithreaded games and b) the future.

• Advertisement

Well CPU's tend to either work or not, and CEX give a 2 year warranty.

A 6700K makes the most sense but only at a reasonable price eg around €200.

You could just sell the motherboard + 6600K and make a sideways move to Ryzen 1600 + cheap B450M, there'd barely be any cost associated with the move and it's much better then a) for the latest multithreaded games and b) the future.

Re the sideways move, I can’t remember the spec of the ram currently installed, but it’s pretty standard speed ddr4 from 2 years ago, I’d say 2400Mhz max...would I have a hard time marrying that with a Ryzen cpu?

Nope, as long as it's dual channel rather than a single difference it'll be fine. Ryzen benefits from faster RAM but it's not going to make any major difference unless you're gaming on a 144hz monitor.

You should go for it on the 6600K with a healthy overclock. It's the whole point of the CPU after all. I've a 140MM AIO and it does a great job on my 9600K at 4.8Ghz (the 5Ghz mark was a trifle unstable). And OC'd 6600K would beat Ryzen 1600 on per-core performance but the 1600 would have better minimum framerates in core/thread heavy games, which are becoming increasingly common.

Thanks a mill for the help, I’ll mull the two options over. The monitor is an Asus 4k/60 panel, can’t remember the exact model, would that sway you to any particular option at all?

Got my new 1440p/144Hz monitor in this morning, but jaysus - they just left it outside my door!
    Imagine if I'd left for work early, or if it was raining...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Got my new 1440p/144Hz monitor in this morning, but jaysus - they just left it outside my door!

Courier?

ED E wrote: »
    Courier?

I'll check when I get home.

Fastway probably.

Let me guess DPD?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Same story for me last week with my black friday hardware orders, an post the culprits.
    WHat monitor did you go for? enjoy!

Im still impressed every time i use my Dell 1440 144hz gsync monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,839 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How do you know it's on the doorstep?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement