Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I had them and sent them back. I thought the sound lacked any depth at all. Not trying to sound snobbish but i have a good few pairs of high end headphones and gaming one's too and just found the sound signature of the Arctis' boring.

Personally i'd recommend the HyperX Cloud Flight's if you want wireless or the Sennheiser Game One if you don't mind wires.

That's exactly why Steelseries have great headphones they don't add any fluff to their drivers. They will sound exactly how the sound source was mixed/mastered. Sennheiser are pretty good also though!

Both will give you a true idea of how well a sound was mixed/mastered.

The Sennheiser's blow the Steelseries away but i think EoinHef is after wireless. Pity, as those Game One's are phenomenal.

The Sennheiser's blow the Steelseries away but i think EoinHef is after wireless. Pity, as those Game One's are phenomenal.

Without a doubt Sennheiser blow everyone away! Steelseries being for the gaming market a very close to Seinnheiser in terms of sound quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yup its wireless im after,and comfort.

Hyper X cloud flight look interesting. Good reviews.

The only thing im worried about regarding the arctis pair is the way the bungie cord works and if it will fit my head with out the top hitting the metal band. If that happens there supposed to be not that comfortable.

Ive ordered the Arctis 7's,i hope they fit. If they dont i can see myself looking at the hyper x pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

EoinHef wrote: »
    Anbody here used the SteelSeries Arctis 7?

SteelSeries Arctis 7 - Wireless Gaming Headset - DTS Headphone:X v2.0 Surround for PC and PlayStation 4 - Black [2019 Edition] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GFRPR2D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RUZ9BbF794YXS

Look a decent headset,supports PC and PS4 which is exactly what i need. Decent discount for black friday aswell.

Was looking at the Turtle beach Stealth 700's for €85 but the steelseries looks to be much comfier which is essential for me.

I'm using the Arctis Pro Wireless at the moment. I got it because of the base station and swappable batteries. I've used it before, and it's just so wonderful not needing a cable when you run out of power. It's a big price-hike for just that, but for me it was worth it. They're also super-comfy. As for the headband thing: The band is very close to the metal (may 4mm or something), and I have, I guess, an average-ish size head?

The sound isn't blow-your-socks-off amazing, but it's absolutely good enough for Youtube, background music, games, etc. If I'm really having a music session, I'm using speakers or different headphones (DT990s, HD595s, etc.) anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Any suggestions for a gaming headset (PS4) that is a little cheaper than those mentioned? Looking to spend circa 80 euro. Wireless is not needed but hearing people sneaking up behind me in game is a must. I am getting pretty badly burned atm with my bottom of the barrel stero TurtleBeachs. Sooo many reviews and many are conflicting which is a pain.
    Any advise is much appreciated

MRTULES wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a gaming headset (PS4) that is a little cheaper than those mentioned? Looking to spend circa 80 euro. Wireless is not needed but hearing people sneaking up behind me in game is a must. I am getting pretty badly burned atm with my bottom of the barrel stero TurtleBeachs. Sooo many reviews and many are conflicting which is a pain.
    Any advise is much appreciated

HyperX Cloud Stingers are quite a good cheap set.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-HX-HSCS-BK-EM-Stinger-Headset/dp/B01LRX2DSA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543234554&sr=8-2&keywords=cloud+stinger

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Stinger-Console-Gaming-Headset/dp/B07BB3PYD8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543234554&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=cloud+stinger&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

A little bit above 80, but highly recommended. Normally retail €180 supposedly too so a great time to buy them.

Just bought a pair myself and can confirm they are seriously comfortable.

(In stock in white only right now)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Lag-Free-Wireless-Surround-PlayStation/dp/B07GFRPR2D/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543234486&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=steelseries+arctis+7+headset&dpPl=1&dpID=41kSM8iGcxL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    A little bit above 80, but highly recommended. Normally retail €180 supposedly too so a great time to buy them.

Just bought a pair myself and can confirm they are seriously comfortable.

(In stock in white only right now)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Lag-Free-Wireless-Surround-PlayStation/dp/B07GFRPR2D/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543234486&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=steelseries%2Barctis%2B7%2Bheadset&dpPl=1&dpID=41kSM8iGcxL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Yeah they seem to be getting good reviews all round. Pity there isn't a cheaper wired version though. The people I'm playing online with are hearing enemies coming way before I can and have much better direction on where they are coming from too. This is with mid range turtlebeaches.

• Advertisement

Thanks for those recommendations. Will the fact they are only stereo make a difference to hearing directionally though. My current stereo headset gives good indication of left and right but infront and behind is just not that great

Thanks for those recommendations. Will the fact they are only stereo make a difference to hearing directionally though. My current stereo headset gives good indication of left and right but infront and behind is just not that great

Personally i prefer stereo to virtual surround sound. With VSS i think the sound turns to s**t. I don't think Turtle Beach has made a good headset in years. HyperX always gets good reviews.

Personally i prefer stereo to virtual surround sound. With VSS i think the sound turns to s**t. I don't think Turtle Beach has made a good headset in years. HyperX always gets good reviews.

Wouldn't disagree with that. I suppose the fact that all I want to hear is footsteps, from what direction they are coming from and whether they are on grass or gravel :)
    I will use these for nothing other than ps4 shooters. As it stands the people I'm playing with that have turtlebeaches are at a huge advantage albeit with awful sound quality. Thanks again for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wouldn't disagree with that. I suppose the fact that all I want to hear is footsteps, from what direction they are coming from and whether they are on grass or gravel :)
    I will use these for nothing other than ps4 shooters. As it stands the people I'm playing with that have turtlebeaches are at a huge advantage albeit with awful sound quality. Thanks again for all the help

Virtual surround is BS.
    Good stereo headphones/headsets and good audio mastering are what you need, in addition to "game sense" which simply requires you to understand the game you're playing.

Good point on the 'Game Sense' thing @k.o.kiki. It's something that's not really mentioned when talking about positional awareness while using a headset. A lot of it has to do with that aspect.

Thanks both.
    Game sense is huge but trust me when I say that mine is fine. Current headset is not up to the task but I see steelseries have their arctic 3 console edition on sale for 50. Seems about as good a deal as any.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-3-console-edition

The thing is positional awareness of a sound IRL comes from the stereo field of your left and right ear (You'll still hear a sound on your left in your right ear with a slightly lower volume and tiny delay). Speakers manage to reproduce that really well but Headsets lack the space (air) to be able to correctly inform you exactly where the location is. Boils down to how well a game is mixed though. Usually sounds are hard panned to left/right to tell you which way the sound is. 7.1 surround just doesn't work well on a L/R headset, as the name implies 7 speakers 1 sub woofer. Unless you have a 7.1 or 5.1 setup you're better off choosing the audio setting for headset or stereo speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Should've posted this 2 days ago, but I'll finally be upgrading my PC!

I ordered an EVGA GTX 1070 SC 24% off, along with an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 that was 33% off - both from scan.co.uk.

They haven't arrived yet - hopefully soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Seen as i had to blow my PC upgrade budget on a TV last month(old one blew up)i was left short on cash.

But decided to throw something together on the cheap for a little upgrade.

Going from a:
    8gb ddr3 1600mhz
    Asrock Z77 Extememe 4
    CM Hyper 212 Evoo
    CM Haf 912

To:
    Ryzen R5 2600
    16gb 3000mhz Cas15
    Msi Tomohawk B450
    Noctua nh-u14s
    Silverstone RL05

Not quite the upgrade i was hoping for but i reckon it will serve me well. The 4c/4t i5 was starting to struggle in some games.

The idea will be to clock the pants off the 2600 (hopefully silicon lottery will be good to me)and down the line pop a next gen ryzen in there.

AM4 being an ongoing thing was the reason i didnt go for the like of the i5-8400.

Worked out at £475/€540 with black friday prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,905 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys my PC is having a strange issue where from a cold start, it shuts down while booting up.

So you power on the PC and while it's booting up it's immediately shuts down but you power it on again and it's grand

You could have the PC on for hours and hours and no issues, it's just that initial cold start up

Any idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys my PC is having a strange issue where from a cold start, it shuts down while booting up.

So you power on the PC and while it's booting up it's immediately shuts down but you power it on again and it's grand

You could have the PC on for hours and hours and no issues, it's just that initial cold start up

Any idea?

You seeing a BIOS/UEFI splash screen when it's loading up first time?

What's your boot order like? Is you main OS drive top of the list in the boot order?

I feel like such a noob.

Was wondering why Overwatch is crashing, opened my GPU overclocking tool.

85C (i.e. thermal throttling) despite 100% fan?
    I'd somehow managed to unplug the GPU AIO's fan.
    Radiator was nearly boiling hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Heatsink come loose? Fans actually spinning like mad?

Edit: Thought the last couple of lines were part of your signature at a glance.
    Heh, I've done that myself with custom loops in the past. They can dissipate a surprising amount before they saturate!

Serephucus wrote: »
    Heatsink come loose? Fans actually spinning like mad?

Nah, managed to unplug the fan header at some stage and I don't even remember how or why! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I feel like such a noob.

Was wondering why Overwatch is crashing, opened my GPU overclocking tool.

85C (i.e. thermal throttling) despite 100% fan?
    I'd somehow managed to unplug the GPU AIO's fan.
    Radiator was nearly boiling hot!

What cpu ?

Dcully wrote: »
    What cpu ?

AIO is on the GPU (GTX 980 Ti)

CPU (i7-5820K) is cooled by a Noctua NH-U14S so even if the fan were to go, it'd probably still work :pac:

Anyone order off aria.co.uk before?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinnerboy0

Anyone order off aria.co.uk before?

I have. They're grand. Forgot thermal paste when ordering and they were able to take a card for over the phone and add it to my package. Ordered online on Sunday evening. Was shipped with DPD on Monday morning and delivered first thing Wednesday. No complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Is there much of an impact using a single stick of RAM over 2 ?
    Cheaper to get 1 stick of 3000mhz ddrs 8gb than 2 X 4.
    PC used for gaming, Fortnite etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 eddieb88

will56 wrote: »
    Is there much of an impact using a single stick of RAM over 2 ?
    Cheaper to get 1 stick of 3000mhz ddrs 8gb than 2 X 4.
    PC used for gaming, Fortnite etc

How much of a price difference?

I believe dual channel is the way to go unless there is a large saving,

open to be corrected....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement