Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

vargoo wrote: »
    Yea, just browsing, watch the odd movie, but I've no clue how to build - it'll go wrong and I'm not wasting hours trying to figure it out.

There's not much to it - check out the manual here:
    http://www.shuttle.eu/fileadmin/resources/download/docs/spec/barebones/NC02U3_e.pdf

All you do is remove 1 plate, plug in the the RAM, SSD & HDD (they only fit 1 way) and put the plate back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Well I started having problems with my PC when I came back from town this evening. First the computer hanged at login screen and then hanged for a minute or two after logging in. Rebooted and that turned into black screen of death.

I thought my SSD was on the way out but after a good long while of trouble shooting it seems windows is corrupted or so I think anyway tried a lot of fixes. Safe boot black screen, windows startup fix finds nothing wrong. Internet points to re-install of windows which I done on a SSD I had lying around. At least my files are safe on old SSD so if there is a fix I find I can always re-install said SSD again.

The problem seems to have stemmed from the windows update I done yesterday or day before. I may also have got a silent update, who knows.
    HP by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The joys of auto-updating windows right there!

I agree.
    HP by any chance?

No a self build that is about 10 years old. The strange thing is the fresh install on my other SSD with all updates up to date and computer is running perfect. Strange.

No a self build that is about 10 years old. The strange thing is the fresh install on my other SSD with all updates up to date and computer is running perfect. Strange.
    Better open new thread for this.

I guess you looking either at profile or EFI corruption.

Better open new thread for this.

I don't think I will bother just off topic chat is all I was posting about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

No a self build that is about 10 years old.

10 years old? Any chance there is a component that has been deemed “unsupported “ by windows all of a sudden? Happened me with an old gfx card in a family machine, suddenly was getting bsods and it turned out support for the old ati gfx had been dropped in an update.

10 years old? Any chance there is a component that has been deemed “unsupported “ by windows all of a sudden? Happened me with an old gfx card in a family machine, suddenly was getting bsods and it turned out support for the old ati gfx had been dropped in an update.
    valuable point, but...
    The strange thing is the fresh install on my other SSD with all updates up to date and computer is running perfect. Strange.
    :confused:
    I don't think I will bother just off topic chat is all I was posting about.
    Cool

Internet points to re-install of windows which I done on a SSD I had lying around. At least my files are safe on old SSD so if there is a fix I find I can always re-install said SSD again.

The strange thing is the fresh install on my other SSD with all updates up to date and computer is running perfect. Strange.

:confused:

In bold above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

Anyone ever order a monitor from Amazon Warehouse? There's a good deal on a "Like New" one I've been looking for on Amazon Germany with the 20% off

I've ordered Like New stuff before and it means just that. The only thing is it probably depends on the person at Amazon who certified that. You should be ok though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Any bricks and mortar stores one could get a couple of 120mm case fans and those little anti vibration rubber yokes?
    Pc world online have nice corsair fans but no option to collect so im wondering if they stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

xtal191 wrote:
    Anyone ever order a monitor from Amazon Warehouse? There's a good deal on a "Like New" one I've been looking for on Amazon Germany with the 20% off

Yup bought 2. Acer predator 27" 1080p one and an Asus 1440p 144hz one. Description was bang on for mine. Was no damage, just opened and returned.

Dcully wrote: »
    Any bricks and mortar stores one could get a couple of 120mm case fans and those little anti vibration rubber yokes?
    Pc world online have nice corsair fans but no option to collect so im wondering if they stock them.

The only ones I knew who had them were Peats (RIP) and Maplins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They do usually have them. My local curry's have decent corsair 120mm.

Nothing in Naas store anyways, anyone come across anything decent online recently?

Nothing in Naas store anyways, anyone come across anything decent online recently?

Honestly I just got an Amazon Prime account (trial at first) and it's sublime - free shipping on most items, fast, and the easiest returns policy going.

Get some nice Noctuas if you can afford, or Fractal Design Silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

What's it like with a Prime account in Ireland? You don't get next day shipping like in the UK, but does stuff actually get to you any faster than the free shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Serephucus wrote: »
    What's it like with a Prime account in Ireland? You don't get next day shipping like in the UK, but does stuff actually get to you any faster than the free shipping?

I've had the vast majority of my orders in 2 days with prime. Free shipping was taking a much longer time in comparison.

I'm a Prime member too and the 2 day shipping is worth it alone. Sometimes stuff does get delayed but that's usually An Post's fault, etc.
    There are a few items i've ordered that are not 2 day delivery so if that's something that's a deal breaker for you then i'd just use PM instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

What do you all reckon there'll be better deals come friday/monday on SSD's right? The 860 Evo 500gb I have my eye on keeps fluctuating around the €80/85 mark for mindfactory/amazon.de and uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Serephucus wrote: »

Usually have it in two days. I ordered things on Saturday night and Sunday morning and they are coming with An Post today.

What do you all reckon there'll be better deals come friday/monday on SSD's right? The 860 Evo 500gb I have my eye on keeps fluctuating around the €80/85 mark for mindfactory/amazon.de and uk

500gb 970 Evo m.2 is only 89 lids on Amazon.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

be looking to pay less than that! is there much difference between 950/960/970. 89 sterling €99 also the 860 are €80ish in germany.

be looking to pay less than that! is there much difference between 950/960/970. 89 sterling €99 also the 860 are €80ish in germany.

I ordered my Kingston A1000 drive on Saturday & received it Monday.

It's a bit faster than the 860 Evo for the same money; a lot slower than the 970 Evo but for games/Windows it'll be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Honestly I just got an Amazon Prime account (trial at first) and it's sublime - free shipping on most items, fast, and the easiest returns policy going.

Get some nice Noctuas if you can afford, or Fractal Design Silent.

Just signed up there for prime.
    Any particular recommendation for 120mm case fans? [soooooo much choice ]
    The ones i have are grand but maybe something of decent quality wouldnt go astray.

Might grab a decent 1TB SSD while im at it for games.
    I have 2x 240GB ones already but loads of space for more and 2x M.2 slots also.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Headshot wrote: »
    I just bought a new chair

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07448ZDP4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems a good deal and alot of positive reviews.

Looks good?

I wanted something really cushy for me arse lol

I got the chair today and loving it. You cannot go wrong with 120 euro with this chair, it's superb value for money and just lovely to sit in

Just signed up there for prime.
    Any particular recommendation for 120mm case fans? [soooooo much choice ]
    The ones i have are grand but maybe something of decent quality wouldnt go astray.

Noctua.

Quiet, well built, and best customer service - AFAIK if a fan breaks, you just send them proof of destruction & they will ship you a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Anbody here used the SteelSeries Arctis 7?

SteelSeries Arctis 7 - Wireless Gaming Headset - DTS Headphone:X v2.0 Surround for PC and PlayStation 4 - Black [2019 Edition] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GFRPR2D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RUZ9BbF794YXS

Look a decent headset,supports PC and PS4 which is exactly what i need. Decent discount for black friday aswell.

Was looking at the Turtle beach Stealth 700's for €85 but the steelseries looks to be much comfier which is essential for me.

• Advertisement

I had them and sent them back. I thought the sound lacked any depth at all. Not trying to sound snobbish but i have a good few pairs of high end headphones and gaming one's too and just found the sound signature of the Arctis' boring.

Personally i'd recommend the HyperX Cloud Flight's if you want wireless or the Sennheiser Game One if you don't mind wires.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement