Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I can't see it either.

Im picking up a few bits soon,was just curious to see did i miss any major discounts.

Im probably better off not knowing but im a glutton for punishment!

The image was showing at one stage. As far as i remember it was a Ryzen 7 and a Maximus MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

EoinHef wrote: »
    Im picking up a few bits soon,was just curious to see did i miss any major discounts.

Im probably better off not knowing but im a glutton for punishment!

Didn't see any bargains on Prime Day for the items I was looking for and I went over every combo of CPU, mobo, ram and CPU cooler. In the end, Overclockers were almost the best part of £50 cheaper and with next day delivery.

No idea why the image's not showing up but it was a 2700X + Crosshair VII and some sweeties.

I think Amazon US fared better on PC stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

jebidiah wrote: »

1060 for €225
    Same guy, maybe its ok.
    There's a second ad on the same card with few comments, go thru them.
    Second ad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Images are original, also don't see how a 1070 2nd hand for circa 300 is a scam price, its 75% of a new card.

Venom wrote: »
    Didn't see any bargains on Prime Day for the items I was looking for and I went over every combo of CPU, mobo, ram and CPU cooler. In the end, Overclockers were almost the best part of £50 cheaper and with next day delivery.

No idea why the image's not showing up but it was a 2700X + Crosshair VII and some sweeties.

Strange,ive been looking at similar lately and amazons been cheaper. Must run everything thing through OCUK before buying.

Gratz on the purchase man

Strange,ive been looking at similar lately and amazons been cheaper. Must run everything thing through OCUK before buying.

Gratz on the purchase man

Cheers, just need the ram now and then its PC building time :)

I was under the same impression about Amazon but on the day putting both sets of prices into the currency converter netted the savings in black and white.

Cheers, just need the ram now and then its PC building time :)

I was under the same impression about Amazon but on the day putting both sets of prices into the currency converter netted the savings in black and white.

Ill have to remember to check on the day.

Been looking at Ram for Ryzen myself,definitely a bit more involved than just throwing anything at it like you could with Intel.

The CL14 modules are so expensive,probably gonna end up with a 2933Mhz CL15 kit.

Ive seen the kit ive been eyeing tested with the board im looking at so least i know the profiles should work out of the box so it will run at its rated speed.

• Advertisement

Ill have to remember to check on the day.

Been looking at Ram for Ryzen myself,definitely a bit more involved than just throwing anything at it like you could with Intel.

The CL14 modules are so expensive,probably gonna end up with a 2933Mhz CL15 kit.

Ive seen the kit ive been eyeing tested with the board im looking at so least i know the profiles should work out of the box so it will run at its rated speed.

Yeah, the ram situation with Ryzen can be a right head scratcher but at least with the 2000 series chips, there's a much better range of options to pick from. The price of the stuff on the other hand just plain hurts.

At the moment its a toss up between Gskill Flare X 3200mhz cl14 and Sniper X 3400mhz cl16.

Yeah, the ram situation with Ryzen can be a right head scratcher but at least with the 2000 series chips, there's a much better range of options to pick from. The price of the stuff on the other hand just plain hurts.

At the moment its a toss up between Gskill Flare X 3200mhz cl14 and Sniper X 3400mhz cl16.

Ive decided i want RGB dimms as im a little sad so thats limited me even more. The Gskill trident z is lovely looking but compatibility looks spotty so its probably gonna be a Hyper X Predator rgb.

I think that Flare X kit is what AMD recomend to reviewers,should be optimum.

The Hyper X Predator RGB looks the business but to me its just extra cost on an already expensive component. I'm planing on replacing the stock CPU cooler with a Noctua D15 when the all-black version comes out at the end of the year, which will pretty much block out any RBGness from the ram.

The Hyper X Predator RGB looks the business but to me its just extra cost on an already expensive component. I'm planing on replacing the stock CPU cooler with a Noctua D15 when the all-black version comes out at the end of the year, which will pretty much block out any RBGness from the ram.

Its totally non essential but i got a bonus in work for something thats taken me 3 years to get through so im kinda just really treating myself here. Potential wedding next year with little uns to follow so it may be my last chance!!

Also the 16gb kits costs £188,which is actually not bad looking at the price of other kits.

I wasnt to keen on noctua because of the fan colour either and was going to go cryorig r1 ultimate but getting cryorig to send you an AM4 bracket is problematic from what i read online. So ive kinda settled on the noctua nh-d15s,at least the fan is hidden in the middle of the two towers and the fins have a cut out to better increase ram compatibility. Also temps are good from what i see online so sounds like an ok compromise for me. Needs be ill get a chromax fan down the road to replace it.

Its totally non essential but i got a bonus in work for something thats taken me 3 years to get through so im kinda just really treating myself here. Potential wedding next year with little uns to follow so it may be my last chance!!

Also the 16gb kits costs £188,which is actually not bad looking at the price of other kits.

I wasn't to keen on noctua because of the fan colour either and was going to go cryorig r1 ultimate but getting cryorig to send you an AM4 bracket is problematic from what i read online. So ive kinda settled on the noctua nh-d15s,at least the fan is hidden in the middle of the two towers and the fins have a cut out to better increase ram compatibility. Also temps are good from what i see online so sounds like an ok compromise for me. Needs be ill get a chromax fan down the road to replace it.

I was flip-flopping between the d15 and the d15s myself but then found out that the PCI slots on the Crosshair VII are a tad lower compared to other mobo's, so cooler interference with the GPU should not be an issue. Seeing the price is pretty much the same between both coolers, yet one comes with an extra fan, the d15 se won out.

I plan on getting replacing the default brown fans like yourself and since I want to move the system into an Evolve X case later in the year, being able to repurpose said fans as the front intake where they won't be seen, seems like a win-win solution.

The Chromax cooler covers look the business so might go for them instead :)

I was flip-flopping between the d15 and the d15s myself but then found out that the PCI slots on the Crosshair VII are a tad lower compared to other mobo's, so cooler interference with the GPU should not be an issue. Seeing the price is pretty much the same between both coolers, yet one comes with an extra fan, the d15 se won out.

I plan on getting replacing the default brown fans like yourself and since I want to move the system into an Evolve X case later in the year, being able to repurpose said fans as the front intake where they won't be seen, seems like a win-win solution.

The Chromax cooler covers look the business so might go for them instead :)

Unbelievable really that they are only now giving the option of black fans.

The covers are beautiful alright,perfect match of form and function.

Im going with the meshify c,im going to get a 3pack of rgb fans for rear and top exhaust x2. That will allow me to use the stock case fans as intakes where there out of the way a bit like yourself. Tinted tempered glass should make them near invisible anyway. 5 x 120mm should give plenty of good airflow.

Just checked the noctua compatibilty page and the mainboard im looking at is also ok with the d15se. Maybe i should just get it and keep the extra fan as a spare. Ive also 3 corsair SP fans coming with me from my current case and nowhere for them to go!!

Nice to have spares though i suppose,there not cheap so certainly wont be throwing them out.

Excited to get a new build going,been nearly 6 years since i bought my current case,cpu etc. Few GPU upgrades in that time but its time the major internals got an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Finally got all the parts needed to watercool the 980 Ti.
    5bNMZms.png

Seems to be running stable at 1566MHz (+200 core) with temps around 49C - I think with the Palit dual-fan triple-slot cooler, it would hit 78C easily.

Noctua NF-P12 Redux-1700 fan on a 120mm AIO, so even at 1000rpm it's barely audible.
    Pics at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I haven't treated myself to anything in awhile, I only play Overwatch these days so mad hardware no longer needed (even back to using a standard 25" 1080p monitor)....but I really want to get the Thermaltake View 71.

In other news, just when I thought offers couldn't possibly get any stupider or the bar raised any lower....someone messaged me about an i5/GTX1050 gaming PC. Asking would I consider giving it away for free because they can't afford a PC but really want one. :o

Unbelievable really that they are only now giving the option of black fans.

The covers are beautiful alright,perfect match of form and function.

Im going with the meshify c,im going to get a 3pack of rgb fans for rear and top exhaust x2. That will allow me to use the stock case fans as intakes where there out of the way a bit like yourself. Tinted tempered glass should make them near invisible anyway. 5 x 120mm should give plenty of good airflow.

Just checked the noctua compatibilty page and the mainboard im looking at is also ok with the d15se. Maybe i should just get it and keep the extra fan as a spare. Ive also 3 corsair SP fans coming with me from my current case and nowhere for them to go!!

Nice to have spares though i suppose,there not cheap so certainly won't be throwing them out.

Excited to get a new build going,been nearly 6 years since i bought my current case,cpu etc. Few GPU upgrades in that time but its time the major internals got an update.

I recall an interview with some of the Noctua folks, where they went into detail about why they're so slow in releasing new stuff and non-brown fans. Basically, it boiled down to the product having to be 100% perfect in their eyes and the fan colour is due to the weird plastics they make the fan blades out of not working as well when coated black.

If you don't get the SE version of the d15, you will need to buy or contact Noctua for an AM4 mounting kit as it's not included in the box. The downside is you don't get the Intel brackets with the SE if ever needed down the line pacman.gif

I recall an interview with some of the Noctua folks, where they went into detail about why they're so slow in releasing new stuff and non-brown fans. Basically, it boiled down to the product having to be 100% perfect in their eyes and the fan colour is due to the weird plastics they make the fan blades out of not working as well when coated black.

If you don't get the SE version of the d15, you will need to buy or contact Noctua for an AM4 mounting kit as it's not included in the box. The downside is you don't get the Intel brackets with the SE if ever needed down the line pacman.gif

There always at the top of performance graphs so whatever there way of thinking is it works performance wise.

I wouldnt mimd having to contact Noctua for the bracket,picture of the reciept and they will send it staright away i hear.

Pity cryorig are slow at it,it lost them a sale!!! I like the look of the R1 Ultimate but im not gonna wait months for a bracket!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

The new Nvidia cards apparently pencilled in to launch at the end of August. Be interesting to see prices, and prices for clearance of to 10xx series.

https://www.techpowerup.com/246207/nvidia-geforce-11-series-first-wave-launch-dates-leaked

I feel so dumb.
    Turns out at some point, I'd reset the CPU/RAM back to default speeds (3.3GHz / 2133MHz).
    Was up til 4am trying to remember my daily-driver OC settings (125 multiplier / 33x (4.15GHz) / 3000MHz @ 1.115V).

Have to do a longer stress test tonight to doublecheck it.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    The new Nvidia cards apparently pencilled in to launch at the end of August. Be interesting to see prices, and prices for clearance of to 10xx series.

https://www.techpowerup.com/246207/nvidia-geforce-11-series-first-wave-launch-dates-leaked
    Any idea how much the current gen. 10xx could go down after the launch of 11xx? I'm tempted to buy Zotac Amp 1060, just dont want to spend now 270€ just to see the card for 200€ in next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Any idea how much the current gen. 10xx could go down after the launch of 11xx? I'm tempted to buy Zotac Amp 1060, just dont want to spend now 270€ just to see the card for 200€ in next month.

No idea, I would guess it depends how much stock is left and the new series pricing. Given there is very little competition for them, could see a jump in pricing for the new series, and no large drop in the current cards pricing, even if there is still a lot of stock available.

Just have to wait and see. The date in the article is 30th August, so more like start of September.

yoshiktk wrote: »

If you need a gaming card right now, I'd just go ahead & buy that card now (if you have the space, this Palit Jetstream is arguably a better card though).

By the time the next generation comes out, you'll have played your games enough to know if you actually need another upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Jesus some of the ads in the selling pc gear on here would want their heads checked. Mental pricing.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Jesus some of the ads in the selling pc gear on here would want their heads checked. Mental pricing.

Is that the 3770 PC with a GTX660 for €700?

You would be lucky to get €350 for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Is that the 3770 PC with a GTX660 for €700?

You would be lucky to get €350 for that.

yea. didnt want to mention the post, but the guy is obviously out of the game for a while and thinks people are fools. I wouildn't give 250 for it, its old tech at this stage.

RossieMan wrote: »
    yea. didnt want to mention the post, but the guy is obviously out of the game for a while and thinks people are fools. I wouildn't give 250 for it, its old tech at this stage.

It's a great base to lob a GTX1070 into, but yes, at half the asking or else.

As it is, €700 new would buy you a machine that'd be 200% faster in games at least.

I mean for example I've a machine up there for an i7-6700, DDR4, GTX1070Ti for €150 more than the asking.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If you need a gaming card right now, I'd just go ahead & buy that card now (if you have the space, this Palit Jetstream is arguably a better card though).

By the time the next generation comes out, you'll have played your games enough to know if you actually need another upgrade.

I'm waiting from December so one or two months won't make me a big difference. Ill just wait and see, maybe then could stretch out budget for 1070 instead.
    I miss being a single. New card? No problem. More ram? Go for double the amount, and now?
    -Honey, can I buy?
    -Do we need it now?
    I feel like hyena, just lurking around for some leftovers...

BTW is there any shop in Dublin which have cases on shelf? Can't decide between Meshify C and R6. I've watched few youtube vids, but still don't know which to choose, would like to check them with my own eyes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement