Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Can anyone recommend a decent set of desk speakers?

I had my eye on the Logitech Z337 looks nice, not too expensive, bluetooth and a little volume wheel.

But they might be a bit over kill with the subwoofer and all that so I was also considering the Creative t15 which seem a bit more neat and tidy.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

What the general thoughts on Optane these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eddieb88

jebidiah wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent set of desk speakers?

I had my eye on the Logitech Z337 looks nice, not too expensive, bluetooth and a little volume wheel.

But they might be a bit over kill with the subwoofer and all that so I was also considering the Creative t15 which seem a bit more neat and tidy.

Any thoughts?

Ive ordered These a few days ago il let you know what there like,

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

WD: We're shutting down HDD plants as they're no longer in demand.

Also WD:
    Xf7SppR.png

Prices are barely changed sine I bought the original bunch 5yrs ago. Can you say price fixing...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Is that the 3770 PC with a GTX660 for €700?

You would be lucky to get €350 for that.

A Ryzen 2200g would be comparable to that in performance with decent memory and an overclock on a much newer platform with a good upgrade path and ddr4.

You can build a good 2200g system for €400 new with a 120gb ssd and a 1tb hdd and a decent cooler for overclocking it. I want to build 1 just to play around with the 2200g. Seems to be an amazing chip for the money.

Something like this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£79.95 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 13 36.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£24.69 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£61.98 @ PC World Business)
    Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£80.28 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£24.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£32.39 @ Aria PC)
    Case: CiT - CIT-F3WHITEBLACK MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£25.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Power Supply: XFX - XT 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.93 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £366.19
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-29 17:28 BST+0100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    Prices are barely changed sine I bought the original bunch 5yrs ago. Can you say price fixing...

Possibly but its very old tech, I would doubt there is much more efficiency to be had in the production process, the cost of base materials have undoubtedly risen over the years too. And to top it off, its not a growth market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This drought of new parts is killing me!

I mean, I'm not going to buy anything but I just want to read about new hardware already!

Possibly but its very old tech, I would doubt there is much more efficiency to be had in the production process, the cost of base materials have undoubtedly risen over the years too. And to top it off, its not a growth market.

As they improved tech to get 8TB (pre helium) disks to viable yields the viable % of 3TB densities should have sky rocketed. Thats a big saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

OCUK have a decent deal for £510 - 2700X, X370 K7, 8GB 3200mhz, 480GB SSD. Just bought one there. Cheaper than buying stuff seperately on Amazon and their service/delivery times are way better.

Usually an Intel man but I think AMD deserve some recognition, this will be my first AMD build since an FX-6300 which I ditched pretty soon after I got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

OCUK have a decent deal for £510 - 2700X, X370 K7, 8GB 3200mhz, 480GB SSD. Just bought one there. Cheaper than buying stuff seperately on Amazon and their service/delivery times are way better.

Usually an Intel man but I think AMD deserve some recognition, this will be my first AMD build since an FX-6300 which I ditched pretty soon after I got it.

Good deal - just be careful with that motherboard. Some of the bios versions had major voltage problems that fried CPUs.

I think you also qualify for a free copy of Farcry 5 btw with that.

I applied for the Far Cry game but I am a week outside of the buying period but sure feck it

Skerries wrote: »
    I applied for the Far Cry game but I am a week outside of the buying period but sure feck it

How are you finding the board btw Skerries?

yeah it does what it says on the tin
    no problems putting it together so next thing to do is muck around with overclocking it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Hi, sorry to ninja your post, but would that be much of an upgrade on a i5 4690k OC'd to 4.6, z97x board with 16g ram. Mainly for gaming, the likes of Wow, warframe and similar games. Paired with a vega 64 card at 1440p gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to ninja your post, but would that be much of an upgrade on a i5 4690k OC'd to 4.6, z97x board with 16g ram. Mainly for gaming, the likes of Wow, warframe and similar games. Paired with a vega 64 card at 1440p gaming.

Not much if any. It is an excellent chip, but it cannot keep pace with a heavily overclocked intel chip in gaming through sheer single core performance. In multitasking/multithreaded tasks, it takes all the accolades. (this was written before looking at benchmarks)

Having a look at the closest benchmark (the review of your chip is too out of date for comparison it seems)
    https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2110?vs=1544

Heavily cpu bound games like Civ and Rocket League, love more cores. Overall, it looks like I'm wrong in my original assertion, or so it seems. Remember this is a stock frequency test. Even with that, it seems like a decent upgrade to the 2700X.
    However, you have the option to upgrade to an i7 4790K/4770K and suddenly that lead is... very little. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2110?vs=1543 (again, closest comparison i could make)
    It is a much cheaper upgrade path for you to just throw an i7 in there and overclock it.
    If you really really like AMD though, it's a nice upgrade. To look at money, it's a ~300€ upgrade verses a ~600€ one.
    The i5 4690K is worth 100-140€ on the secondhand market (at a glance)
    A full motherboard set on the secondhand market, probably 300€.
    Your chip might be worth more if 4.6GHz is considered hard to hit.

From all that, it's a 180€ vs 300€ upgrade
    That's really not bad, especially since it includes an SSD on top of that.

The 2700X is a huge upgrade in general but in games, it depends on the title in question - most games you wouldn't notice any difference unless you were playing on a 144hz monitor (epecially not when you have it OC'd as well), though there are a handful where an older i5 will drop/spike.

That said, I don't think any of that applies to games like WOW or Warframe at all. Plus as Xeno said above, you could just drop in a €170 i7-4770.

Ultimately I suppose like anything it just really depends on how disposable the cash is.

Just on the topic of CPUs, I cannot how much 2nd hand prices have plummeted in the past 12 months. Just looking on adverts, in the past 2 weeks several i7-3770's have sold for €50-60! This time last year they were selling for €150.

I get that it's an older CPU now and limited to DDR3 but it still a great processor for gaming/general productivity....and gives a massive breath of life to older machines at little cost.

The last while I've seen i7-7700's go for €150....and just today there's an i5-8400 for €130 on adverts.

Just on the topic of CPUs, I cannot how much 2nd hand prices have plummeted in the past 12 months. Just looking on adverts, in the past 2 weeks several i7-3770's have sold for €50-60! This time last year they were selling for €150.

Same timeframe as Ryzen I reckon. Less demand for the older chips when there's something new and exciting to buy up as well.

When I came back to seriously looking at component prices a year or so ago, I couldn't believe the prices I was seeing on older CPUs and GPUs. Things look a little healthier now.

• Advertisement

So looks like Intel is launching the 9000-series on Z370 motherboards, really soon (Q3 2018).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I wonder if someone could help me combine a slow dsl connection with my phones tethering wifi connection to my Xbox One?

I have it set up with steam and works perfect. I can download at twice my usual connection but I do not know how to make it work with the Xbox. The way I have it set up is I have a wired connection and then the phone tethering to my wifi adapter and then I have another ethernet cable plugged from computer into xbox.

I can only network share one connection at a time which is no good as it is then the same as if I connected directly to xbox with wired or wifi.

Also I have GTA V on PC through rockstar games(non steam) and I cannot combine speeds while downloading updates which is annoying.

So anyone any ideas on how to set it up with the Xbox? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I wonder if someone could help me combine a slow dsl connection with my phones tethering wifi connection to my Xbox One?

I have it set up with steam and works perfect. I can download at twice my usual connection but I do not know how to make it work with the Xbox. The way I have it set up is I have a wired connection and then the phone tethering to my wifi adapter and then I have another ethernet cable plugged from computer into xbox.

I can only network share one connection at a time which is no good as it is then the same as if I connected directly to xbox with wired or wifi.

Also I have GTA V on PC through rockstar games(non steam) and I cannot combine speeds while downloading updates which is annoying.

So anyone any ideas on how to set it up with the Xbox? Cheers.

Can you set your phone as a mobile hotspot and connect the xbox that way?

Squaredude wrote: »
    Can you set your phone as a mobile hotspot and connect the xbox that way?

I'm trying to use both connections at the same time. The xbox will not let you do that. I have to combine on computer and then ethernet from computer to xbox but it is not working out for me.

Only multi threaded connections will use two connections at once (They aren't combined, just sitting side by side). Single threaded downloads will use one and one only.

ED E wrote: »
    Only multi threaded connections will use two connections at once (They aren't combined, just sitting side by side). Single threaded downloads will use one and one only.

You have to hand it to steam they provide a great service. Allowing multi threaded connections and everything.

You should see how slow the store on the Xbox is but not only Xbox look at the windows store on PC really slow.

Steam is well optimized.

Steam is well optimized.

Parts of Steam are really well optimized. The client's UI isn't great but a lot of the harder technical elements are pretty strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Where are people buying parts these days? Need some coolant, a thumbscrew, couple of braided cables, couple of led strips etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement