Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sonics2k wrote: »
    PC has been running very slowly lately, long time to boot up and games can take an age. Decided to just do a restart of the whole system, delete the lot.

It's on 9%. It's been on 9% since 9.30am

****e

Stop it and start again. Have you a installation CD or flash drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Stop it and start again. Have you a installation CD or flash drive?

Just restarted it there, tried to run it again but got the "there was a problem resetting your pc" error.

I'll give it another shot tonight.

I don't have it on a Flash drive, I'll possibly get it downloaded today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just restarted it there, tried to run it again but got the "there was a problem resetting your pc" error.

I'll give it another shot tonight.

I don't have it on a Flash drive, I'll possibly get it downloaded today.

I understand what you were doing now and a fresh install from a installation CD or flash drive is far better than the way you were doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I understand what you were doing now and a fresh install from a installation CD or flash drive is far better than the way you were doing it.

Aye. It's a bit sad that doing it the 'automatic' way directly from the Windows Settings can be more hassle than doing it the long way.

All done and dusted now anyway. Running as smooth as the day I got her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Aye. It's a bit sad that doing it the 'automatic' way directly from the Windows Settings can be more hassle than doing it the long way.

All done and dusted now anyway. Running as smooth as the day I got her.

If your having issues with a running PC, go to reinstall it and run into issues, its a pretty good bet you have a underlying hardware issue. Have you done a proper check of your memory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Small rooms and overclocked CPU's do not mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Small rooms and overclocked CPU's do not mix.

Especially in summer eh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Imagine having something like an FX-9590 in this weather.

Uses about triple the power an older i7 and performs similar to a 4th gen i3 in a lot of games.....it runs so hot AMD say not to use it with an air cooler.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

I was that warm i tuck my short of, my wife walked in and was like. What are you doing? :pac:

I've got the phanteks evlov tg, so I tuck the panels to get some more cooling:rolleyes:.

Can't find a metal works that will mod the front and top pannel

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I was that warm i tuck my short of, my wife walked in and was like. What are you doing? :pac:

I've got the phanteks evlov tg, so I tuck the panels to get some more cooling:rolleyes:.

Can't find a metal works that will mod the front and top pannel

The Evolv uses 3mm aluminium so should be easy enough to mod yourself with a drill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Redfox25

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The Evolv uses 3mm aluminium so should be easy enough to mod yourself with a drill.

I was thinking hacksaw blade but a drill or Dremel would be a good tool for this job too.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    I was thinking hacksaw blade but a drill or Dremel would be a good tool for this job too.

This guy modded it himself:
    https://medium.com/@rodrigoatprism/modding-the-phanteks-enthoo-evolv-atx-case-for-air-flow-5aec40fe0793

YOU LEGEND!

Sorry you deserve the capitals :D

Tho I have to find a water jet cutting company to cut it Should be interesting :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Looks like there's another CPU flaw called TLBleed.

This affects CPUs with Hyper-Threading in particular. AMD's Ryzen processors with SMT may also be vulnerable to the CPU flaw.

Intel refuses to do anything about it.

Looks like there's another CPU flaw called TLBleed.

This affects CPUs with Hyper-Threading in particular. AMD's Ryzen processors with SMT may also be vulnerable to the CPU flaw.

Intel refuses to do anything about it.

Because its doesn't seem feasible to exploit in the real world? I'd be curious to see what other researchers have to say now its out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The lack of airflow was the one thing that always stopped me picking up an Evolv case. Thankfully the new Evolv X solves that issue :)

phanteks_evolv_x_computex.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Venom wrote: »
    The lack of airflow was the one thing that always stopped me picking up an Evolv case. Thankfully the new Evolv X solves that issue :)

phanteks_evolv_x_computex.jpg

Loving the idea of the mini itx mount in the roof too, not sure what use I’d have for it but me wants ...

£200 though. Ouch!!

£200 though. Ouch!!

It's not cheap but a lot of smart design choices and premium materials went into it.

£200 though. Ouch!!

In terms of PC components, decent cases last the longest time and present the most value. My mate has my Cosmos S from 2008, my brother a Antec P180 I bought in 2005. Both will last another decade if they want, with some replacement fans every couple of years.

But if you buy a cheap case it will fall to pieces, see any Thermaltake case from the 2000's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

In terms of PC components, decent cases last the longest time and present the most value. My mate has my Cosmos S from 2008, my brother a Antec P180 I bought in 2005. Both will last another decade if they want, with some replacement fans every couple of years.

But if you buy a cheap case it will fall to pieces, see any Thermaltake case from the 2000's.

Definitely agree with this. Still using my Silverstone FT02 from 2010ish, and I can't see me changing it unless I desperately need to reclaim some of the space it takes up.

I used to have the Evolv ATX but it was just too big for the amount of space I have. Thermals were brutal though. Though that seems to have been addressed.

Definitely agree with this. Still using my Silverstone FT02 from 2010ish, and I can't see me changing it unless I desperately need to reclaim some of the space it takes up.

I'm still rocking my HAF 932 from back in the day when Coolermaster used to make good cases but have given up on them ever releasing a modern replacement.

I will never understand people who will put thousands worth of hardware into a cheap ass case pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Venom wrote: »
    I'm still rocking my HAF 932 from back in the day when Coolermaster used to make good cases but have given up on them ever releasing a modern replacement.

I will never understand people who will put thousands worth of hardware into a cheap ass case pacman.gif

The HAFs were beasts! Airflow behemoths. Agree about later CM cases, although the I did like the look of the SL600M at Computex. Sleek stylings, but looks like high airflow is back on the menu.

The HAFs were beasts! Airflow behemoths. Agree about later CM cases, although the I did like the look of the SL600M at Computex. Sleek stylings, but looks like high airflow is back on the menu.

Coolermaster used to make really great and interesting cases such as the Cosmos, Stacker and HAF lines to name just a few but these days with the Mastercase line, its just the exact same case with slightly different panels. When you look at the offerings from Phanteks, Corsair and Fractal ranging from budget to top-tier levels, Coolermaster is so far behind in both quality and innovation it's not even close.

I love my Coolermaster MasterCase Pro 3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I have a HAF 912 since 2013,its looking a little worse for ware at this point. Temps are great though.

Be replacing it with a NZXT Source 340 this year along with a few other upgrades.

€200 cases are just not for me,i find i can usually get something id be happy with for ~€100

Meanwhile at the Coolermaster offices...

raCrsiOl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Im still rocking my behemoth CM case Storm-_Trooper1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I had a Coolermaster Stacker 830 once, and while it was easy to work with, there was just so much wasted space the thing was huge!

It just irks me how like 30-40% of the case these days is empty space, and it's so hard to find something compact given that nobody is making them. My Fractal Define S Nano could easily fit a MicroATX board with more efficient use of space. More space is good for big ass radiators if you're watercooling but I've zero interest in that.

I always though something like the Silverstone SG10B is ideal, it's about the same size as some ITX cases but yet it can fit MicroATX. Having the PSU under the motherboard was always a waste of space in my eye. (Although if it is better for airflow)

/grumbling

hWJ7psZ.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement