Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Result, electronics can be weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    So remember a few months back, when I tried to watercool my 980 Ti & thought I'd bricked it?

I plugged it back in today, just in case.

It fúcking works again!

I presume the scene was something not entirely unlike this
    https://media.giphy.com/media/1SRaXI2J1o7vO/giphy.gif

Can't seem to insert gif on phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

... so the real question now is, should I try to water-cool it again?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If at first you don't succeed, fail, fail again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Redfox25

If it was me I would get the old air cooler back onto it and leave well enough alone.

:)

• Advertisement

Redfox25 wrote: »
    If it was me I would get the old air cooler back onto it and leave well enough alone.

:)
    The old (2.5 slot) Palit cooler is back; it's just that I have the 120mm AIO lying in a box & summer is coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Redfox25

The old (2.5 slot) Palit cooler is back; it's just that I have the 120mm AIO lying in a box & summer is coming...

Well, if its already there and "Winter" is coming, go for it.

It won't save you from the wights once they cross the wall though......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Someone broke into my house last week. First time I'm glad that my PC is as big and cumbersome as it is. Thankfully my room was locked.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I have a fear of this happening to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Gotta love all the 980 ti's on adverts with asking prices in the €400-450 region. Do they not realise you can get new 1070's for €400 that are faster and have more memory while using a lot less power with a 2 to 5 year warranty? That the 1160 will be out in a couple of months that will also blaze the 980ti for around €250-300.

Seen a guy turn down an offer of €400 there. Greed is not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Think I found my next upgrade

Squaredude wrote: »
    Think I found my next upgrade

It's finally dawned on me why I like the design of that case so much.

It's very reminiscent of the Power Mac G5 / Intel Power Mac; cramming in lots of hardware but hiding the unsightly cable mess.

apple_macpro_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Wow.
    Intel and AMD have really exceeded our expectations of the HEDT space at Computex this year.

Intel's upping the core count to 28.
    AMD's next-gen Threadripper will have up to 32 cores and 64 threads!

I was expecting a much lesser, incremental increase in core count.

On the GPU side of things, NVIDIA's CEO said that there won't be any next-gen GeForce GPUs for a long time. If a 'long time' isn't an overstatement, then it's a shame to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm still hopeful we'll see the new series of GPUs from Nvidia within 4 months. There are still a lot of 10 series cards in the retail channels apparently, which they won't shift if people think there are new cards just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

I'm still hopeful we'll see the new series of GPUs from Nvidia within 4 months. There are still a lot of 10 series cards in the retail channels apparently, which they won't shift if people think there are new cards just around the corner.

Rumour's been end of July/start of August. It's too damaging for Nvidia for their CEO to be lying about that though so I'd say 6 months on the inside.

That's enough time for them to have sold the majority of 10 series that gamers priced out by Etherium miners would buy, and about the shortest plausible "long time" to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Glad they've been called out on it.

Threadripper 2 looks promising for those who need such a system. I myself have no need for such large core counts.

As a person who will likely only need 6 cores at most, I am still happy to see such core counts on desktop CPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Lads tried to start the pc today not a dickie bird. Assumed was psu couldn't do paper clip test as the corsair psu has all black cables. Bought new psu in Currys hooked everything up and nothing. Can only be a goosed mb now yeah?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Joshua J wrote: »
    Lads tried to start the pc today not a dickie bird. Assumed was psu couldn't do paper clip test as the corsair psu has all black cables. Bought new psu in Currys hooked everything up and nothing. Can only be a goosed mb now yeah?.

Not to state the obvious, did you check the mains? Any tripped mcbs or rcds?

Next thing I would try is removing the mobo from the case to rule out a short to the pc case, re-seat the CPU if you have spare paste, remove and reconnect all cables and try with one stick of RAM and on board graphics if you have.

glynf wrote: »
    Not to state the obvious, did you check the mains? Any tripped mcbs or rcds?

Next thing I would try is removing the mobo from the case to rule out a short to the pc case, re-seat the CPU if you have spare paste, remove and reconnect all cables and try with one stick of RAM and on board graphics if you have.

Yeah mains/fuses ok. I'll give your other suggestions a try, thanks.

You should not have bought the PSU without testing your old one first. The two pins you short are the same on most Desktop PSU's. All you had to do is look at a pic and count which pins it is.

You should not have bought the PSU without testing your old one first. The two pins you short are the same on most Desktop PSU's. All you had to do is look at a pic and count which pins it is.
    Ya I thought the cat hair had finally overwhelmed it, but no I was mistaken. Pulled mb out the case and tried jumping it with only power connected, no dice. I've messaged Asus they do 3 year warranty only had it 2 years see what they'll do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Joshua J wrote: »
    Ya I thought the cat hair had finally overwhelmed it, but no I was mistaken. Pulled mb out the case and tried jumping it with only power connected, no dice. I've messaged Asus they do 3 year warranty only had it 2 years see what they'll do.

I recall seeing a video years ago of an open pc with kittens running around inside it. I've tried finding it to no avail.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've been temporarily using an old GTX690 from 2012 since I sold my 1080Ti.

It's incredible how well it still holds up - in fact, the only thing that majorly holds it back is the 2GB vram per card.

Ultra 60fps is still no problem for the games I'm playing at the moment - Fallout 4, Overwatch, Battlefield 1.

Wish they'd future proofed it more and given it 4GB per card as that'd make it viable for another good while.

Amazing longevity though. 6 years later and still playing most modern games at 1080p high/ultra....six years after the GTX295 came out, new titles wouldn't even start up.

I'm still using a GTX 750 Ti and a 1080p monitor. A 4-year-old lower-mid-range GPU is showing some struggle in games like Doom.

Doom's resolution scaling needs to be cranked back in order to reach a consistent 60fps, even on the lowest settings. Others like GTA V run silky smooth once some settings are turned back a notch or two.

2015 games seem to be the breaking point for the 750 Ti, with the likes of Witcher 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. At that point, the frame rate tends to suffer on a 750 Ti, without having settings cranked back. Many earlier games can consistently hit 60fps maxed out, however.

I'm somewhat tempted to get a GTX 1060 6GB, but who knows when NVIDIA's next generation will arrive?

It's supposed to be soon, around August. I'm itching for an upgrade. 1160 or 1170 depending on prices and specs.

Intel are entering the gaming gpu market as well in 2020.

https://wccftech.com/intel-official-discrete-gpu-market-2020/

With Raja Koduri in Intel now, I suspect that Intel's foray into the discrete GPU market might be of similar quality to Vega.

• Advertisement

The most interesting part is they will allegedly be using multi core module design like Ryzen cpu's. Multiple smaller gpu modules connected with some sort of interposer.

Amd were supposed to have had a big lead in this area with their own MCM design still some way off. Probably around late 2020 as well since Navi will not be using it.

Interesting times ahead. More competition should be good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement