Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Any body know anything about fan controllers? I imagine they're simple variable resistors. Which would mean that anything LESS than max voltage applies a resistance. This in turn means heat.

Is there any chance that damage would be done if the fans were left at half voltage/speed over a period of time? I imagine not, as that what a fan controller is desgined for, but I want to make sure, as I intend on investing in TY143s which draw 7.2w under full load (each channel of my fan controller takes 3 fans, and recommends a max of 18w per channel - I will stay safe and just have 2 fans, max of 14.4w per channel and it should be OK?).

They are CRAZY loud at 12v, as they can run at 2500RPM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTXyVPLyxhY

:D But with the fan controller I get the best of both worlds, absolute silence when idling, and if I want to game I can pump in the volts.

The TY 143 is a 4 pin though, and the fan controller only accepts 3 pins. Any sugestion for a POWERFUL 3 pin fan. I need 2 120mm ones, 1 140mm one and another 120mm (or a 140mm one with 120mm mounting screws). Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Gumbi wrote: »
    They are CRAZY loud at 12v, as they can run at 2500RPM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTXyVPLyxhY
    Small aircraft don't make as much noise taking off :pac:

Here's the same sound, but from an F1 car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

How do people find Mindfactory for shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Pretty quick in my experience. The last bunch of innards I ordered arrived quicker than the case and monitor I ordered from dabs (although the dabs stocking system apparently had an issue so the site showed a monitor as in stock when is was actually due in a couple of days later).

Very expensive, so you really have to be spending at least €400-500 on components for it to be counteracted by low prices.

Anything delicate has been sealed in multiple layers of bubble wrap, but the packaging isn't as good as in fit-to-form as Amazon's, but that's to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

posting windows 7 propaganda to push back at the W10 takeover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Has anyone ever had a Windows 7 key verify and then about a month later start giving messages that the version of Windows is not genuine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

will56 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had a Windows 7 key verify and then about a month later start giving messages that the version of Windows is not genuine ?

Did you get it on reddit? I got one off a seller there which was fine at the start but then a few weeks later failed. I followed up with him and He eventually sent on a replacement key.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Did you get it on reddit? I got one off a seller there which was fine at the start but then a few weeks later failed. I followed up with him and He eventually sent on a replacement key.

Its hardly worthwhile ringing Microsoft to authenticate it ?
    The seller is insisting I've done a second install and thats why the key stopped working ?

I had an iso for Win 7 64 bit SP1.
    I bought the key
    I installed Windows on a new build PC
    When it first ran I got the message that the Windows version was not genuine
    I then went through the online activation with Microsoft and the error message went away, and has now come back about a month later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No you'll get nowhere.

The keys are only good for one install, you can't reinstall with them, so if you did reinstall Windows at any stage, it's gone.

However if you didn't, still not much you can do if the seller insists you did, that's the risk you take when buying from Reddit.

No you'll get nowhere.

The keys are only good for one install, you can't reinstall with them, so if you did reinstall Windows at any stage, it's gone.

However if you didn't, still not much you can do if the seller insists you did, that's the risk you take when buying from Reddit.

Am I better off then buying a genuine OEM windows from Scan or overclockers ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I've reused my Reddit keys 3 or 4 times, contact the seller.

I've reused my Reddit keys 3 or 4 times, contact the seller.

He's refusing to play ball, insisting I must have used it to install on another machine.

This a build for my brother for college and I would like him to get full use without messages about genuine software popping up or not being able to upgrade to 10 in the future.

I ran a Malwarebytes scan on the PC and found a lot of items to be removed. Could malware have caused the problem with the key ?

Spent a good bit of time googling this today and I've seen loads of people complaining about keys from reddit or other sources not working anymore or showing up as not genuine.

Options ?
    Clean re-install of Win 7 using the key and see if it works ?
    Continue using the current non-genuine and reset the alert every 30 days ?
    Buy a different Windows key from a Reddit ?
    Bite the bullet and pay €100 for an OEM Windows from Scan/Overclockers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Try the clean Re-Install I'd say

Try the clean Re-Install I'd say

Is there anyway to check the key is valid before I carry out the re-install ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes use pidgen to validate the key. It will tell you if the key was ever valid however not sure if it will tell you if the key is now invalid.

I've always found that the keys only work once, after that you'll get a message saying MS have blocked the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It would appear the lads are selling MSDN keys on reddit. They are not for commercial resale and do have a activation limit but it's pretty hard to hit it. I'd say he's sold too many of them or somebody started selling the key to others.

It would appear the lads are selling MSDN keys on reddit. They are not for commercial resale and do have a activation limit but it's pretty hard to hit it. I'd say he's sold too many of them or somebody started selling the key to others.

Wonderful !
    If this was only for myself on a HTPC I wouldn't really mind but because it's for someone else its really annoying.
    We even went tried to verify the key with microsoft online but no joy.

If I do the re-install and get the same error message, I'll have to try another buyer for another key ?
    If the same thing happens after a while with that one I'm going to be back to square one ?
    Couple of keys isn't too far off the actual retail price for an OEM installation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Danger781 wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-XG270HUomidpx-27-Inch-Monitor-FreeSync/dp/B00U2FDO4C/

27" 144hz 2560.x1440 FreeSync for £269.99
    Unbelievable price!

I've running Nvidia but tempted to get this anyway for that tasty 144Hz

Got this today :) Love it so far, but must test it out with some CS..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

GTX 950 certainly seems like the way to go for budget builds now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

GTX 950 certainly seems like the way to go for budget builds now

Depends, the 750ti still has it's place for very low power builds, espcially if you want a bit of gaming on the telly in a media centre pc, think it draws about 60watt under load. Many don't need additional PSU connections. That's said the gtx 950/is only 90 watt not a huge increase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Danger781 wrote: »
    Got this today :) Love it so far, but must test it out with some CS..

Mad jelly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

My perfect monitor panel is entering production soon:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/34.htm#auo_144hz

(Among others) it's 30", 2560x1080, VA, 21:9, 2000R curved, 3000:1 SCR and 144Hz!

Now, someone needs to make an sync-y version using this, and I'm all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Soooooo Still no real point to upgrade if you are on sandy and up for gaming?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Soooooo Still no real point to upgrade if you are on sandy and up for gaming?

Very little. M.2 and DDR4 if you're really looking for an excuse :P Looking forward to those two for my next build. Can't believe SATA SSD is almost a storage solution at this point, only last year I payed 450 for a 750gb evo lol. The tech is moving so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Does anyone know what the **** opens an stn file?? thje things are never ****ing used !! Photoshop is supposed to and I tried to download the Perfect studio suite trial from on1 or whatever they are called but that'd errord. Downloaded a 30 day trial then got told it was up

This is from On1's website
    The STiNG file support is provided in Perfect Resize 7.5 for opening exsiting .STN files for legacy users. STiNG is no longer a recommended format and this is the last release of Perfect Resize to support it. It is recommended that existing .STN files are converted to a modern format, like JPG2000, which maintains the wavelet compression but is more compatible and is an industry standard. STiNG files are not readable by Adobe® Lightroom® or Apple® Aperture® or natively in the Perfect Photo Suite. The only way to open STiNG files is via Adobe® Photoshop® if Perfect Resize 7.5 or earlier is installed.

This is from On1's website

feck sake, adobe wont open and either would the perfect resize

How did you even find a stn file? :pac:

How did you even find a stn file? :pac:

a neighbour is a stone mason that does gravestones, the ****ers he bought a program from sent the images (218) in only stn files. I asked them to send back them in jpeg, they only have em in stn.

This guy is completely computer illiterate so would never of been able to even know what the problem is

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

a neighbour is a stone mason that does gravestones, the ****ers he bought a program from sent the images (218) in only stn files. I asked them to send back them in jpeg, they only have em in stn.

This guy is completely computer illiterate so would never of been able to even know what the problem is

Might they be a special CAD-esque file? Never heard of them. Are you sure its a pixel based format?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement