Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

1080p browsing is really weird :( I'm not sure if I like it, everything looks tiny.

lol what are you coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

1080p is great. Lots of room for things like vlc to be open while browsing. I'd love to be able to go higher but I will have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I use the extra real estate for having a permanent bookmark sidebar loaded.
    Makes the blank space appear a lot smaller and some websites like Facebook still benefit from the wider screen too.

I find the best thing about VLC is the ability to keep the video on top of other windows. that was anyway until I utilised my old 1440 x 900 screen and now have dual monitors. It's a different resolution but nothing some scaling couldn't take care off. Text looks like garbage on it compared to my 1080 monitor and the transition of the mouse across the screen is slightly jarring but I generally just load videos on there fullscreen or have TweetDeck open there.

For those who dual screen, what do you find yourself using it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

lads whats the best program for monitoring cpu/gpu temp while in a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The overlay in Afterburner is what I use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

My two monitor stands arrived today , and I must say , they've been the best purchase I've made in a while!
    The two monitors never lined up properly , and were always a little bit too low.
    358979.jpg358980.jpg
    Lighting Behind the monitor is this beauty from Ikea.
    Now that I have the real estate a SteelSeries QcK+ mousemat is on the way.
    I'm also highly considering getting this monitor as a main and replacing the Samsung
    is a 144hz monitor noticeably better than the 60hz one for gaming?

papu wrote: »
    is a 144hz monitor noticeably better than the 60hz one for gaming?

This a real question? :P I'm literally afraid to buy one in case it ruins me for life on consoles :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It's pretty hard to go back and yes you will not be satisfied with anything less than 60. You'll feel the lag of 30 way too much after a while especially if you use anything like lightboost. It's incredible for gaming. The only problem is finding the right settings to get a stable 144/120. So many games are optimised for 30/60. Say goodbye to post-processing like AA unless you have some monster of a card.

A nice side-effect that nobody seems to mention is that in games that have uncapped framerates it eliminates tearing 9 times out of 10 so you can forget v-sync (which will lag your inputs and ruin the point of HRR displays anyway). With things like ligthboost it will make a difference even if the game has a 60fps cap. Super smooth looking.

You'll even see it in your mouse and window movements. Whenever I use anything but my own system they all just feel like they're not functioning properly now.

send help

Wright wrote: »
    This a real question? :P I'm literally afraid to buy one in case it ruins me for life on consoles :P

It'll be ordered just a matter of time, the only place that has them is Scan.co.uk and I've heard so many negative reviews I'm going to wait until Pixmania restock them.
    It's pretty hard to go back and yes you will not be satisfied with anything less than 60. You'll feel the lag of 30 way too much after a while especially if you use anything like lightboost. It's incredible for gaming. The only problem is finding the right settings to get a stable 144/120. So many games are optimised for 30/60. Say goodbye to post-processing like AA unless you have some monster of a card.

A nice side-effect that nobody seems to mention is that in games that have uncapped framerates it eliminates tearing 9 times out of 10 so you can forget v-sync (which will lag your inputs and ruin the point of HRR displays anyway). With things like ligthboost it will make a difference even if the game has a 60fps cap. Super smooth looking.

You'll even see it in your mouse and window movements. Whenever I use anything but my own system they all just feel like they're not functioning properly now.

send help

Thanks for that the asus monitor has lightboost , which from what I've read can be used on AMD cards with ToastyX Strobelight, the freesync and gsync monitors have just dropped , but I don't want to wait for them to become affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Been keeping an eye on the 24" G-Sync monitors. The BenQ monitors i saw recently looked smooth as butter.

Other than that the non-gsync looks good too. Probably gonna save up and get the g-sync though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Now that I have the real estate a SteelSeries QcK+ mousemat is on the way.

You're gonna love it :D I've been using the original for years.

50290062.jpg

You're gonna love it :D I've been using the original for years.

50290062.jpg

Sweet , what mouse were/are you using with that?

I ordered the monitor , LittleWoods had them in stock , same price as Pixmania , and free delivery , woohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sweet , what mouse were/are you using with that?

I ordered the monitor , LittleWoods had them in stock , same price as Pixmania , and free delivery , woohoo

The one and only MX518 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

game4it70 wrote: »
    Grrrrrrrrr :mad::mad::mad::mad:

My replacement Corsair K70 has developed a fault.The "A" key either misses a click or double clicks randomly.

When i rma'ed the first K70 they told me this,
    Our warranty policy states that Corsair is not responsible for shipping expenses of the item to our facility.
    However we will issue you a one-time courtesy of a prepaid UPS shipping label to cover your shipping expenses.
    Please allow 1-2 business days for the label to generate and deliver to your email

Not looking forward to having to pay for this K70 to be shipped to the UK :mad:

An update on this.
    I re-opened the last ticket i had saying that one of the keys playing up.I got a reply yesterday saying RMA approved and they will send me out another UPS label. :D

Now here's hoping its 3rd time lucky with the replacement. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

SSD in shipment now. Still didn't get the bluetooth dongle yet. The waiting is killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The void between departure scans in HK and arrival scans in Dublin/Portlaoise is the worst thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Daaaammmmnnn son. That's a good lightning deal in the bargain alerts thread. I wish I wasn't skint right now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MCX4Q2G?ref_=gb1h_tit_c-3_8907_24019ed2&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

game4it70 wrote: »
    An update on this.
    I re-opened the last ticket i had saying that one of the keys playing up.I got a reply yesterday saying RMA approved and they will send me out another UPS label. :D

Now here's hoping its 3rd time lucky with the replacement. :pac:

They HAVE to pay the return shipping if the item is faulty though.

If you buy something online from a business based in the EU and it is faulty, the same rights apply as if you had bought it in a shop. You should complain to the seller in writing immediately (by email, fax or letter) and ask for a refund or replacement. Where a refund has been agreed, the seller must refund you your money within 14 days. Under EU law, the seller will have to pay for any return shipping costs - See more at: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/index.jsp?a=340&n=169&p=131#sthash.7iLDgW60.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-XG270HUomidpx-27-Inch-Monitor-FreeSync/dp/B00U2FDO4C/

27" 144hz 2560.x1440 FreeSync for £269.99
    Unbelievable price!

I've running Nvidia but tempted to get this anyway for that tasty 144Hz

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Anyone know when the 380x will be released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Having some trouble today and hoping somebody here has a solution for me. Was playing CS earlier when the connection randomly cut out, I thought somebody reset the router in the house but soon found out it was still on and nothing happened.

Comeback to my PC and I see that it says 'Limited' decide to troubleshoot and I get this error: Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration.

This just happened out of the blue and I've tried everything I can that I've found online. I reset router, restarted pc. tried ipconfig/release;renew
    and nothing is happening. Weirdly the wifi and other wired cables are still working? I use one of those TP-Link wall socket things that connects me to the router downstairs. I've tried different sockets and re-pluging them etc.

PLZ HALP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

You probably need to re-sync your two tp-link adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

tried that also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

vlad2009 wrote: »
    Having some trouble today and hoping somebody here has a solution for me. Was playing CS earlier when the connection randomly cut out, I thought somebody reset the router in the house but soon found out it was still on and nothing happened.

Comeback to my PC and I see that it says 'Limited' decide to troubleshoot and I get this error: Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration.

This just happened out of the blue and I've tried everything I can that I've found online. I reset router, restarted pc. tried ipconfig/release;renew
    and nothing is happening. Weirdly the wifi and other wired cables are still working? I use one of those TP-Link wall socket things that connects me to the router downstairs. I've tried different sockets and re-pluging them etc.

PLZ HALP

This kept happening me with the TP-Link Wifi Extender also. Unplugged it and everything went back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Currently trying to evaluate the PC building scene and see what parts etc. I should get for my first PC! (it has all been laptops and family desktops until this point) I'm a little unsure, since everything seems to have overtly complicated names and people consistently seem to have subjective opinions on the objective abilities of PC parts? ??? Working on it, anyway!

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Currently trying to evaluate the PC building scene and see what parts etc. I should get for my first PC! (it has all been laptops and family desktops until this point) I'm a little unsure, since everything seems to have overtly complicated names and people consistently seem to have subjective opinions on the objective abilities of PC parts? ??? Working on it, anyway!

Pretty much the only consesus is gonna be go with an Intel processor.

There's two graphics cards companies you'll have to pick from, nVidia and AMD. I'm usually an nVidia customer but right now, depending on your budget, I'd recommend AMD, because right now it looks like DX12 is gonna profit more from AMD on Windows 10. Direct X is basically a way to display graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »

As Wright says, Intel is the first call, unless you're on a super tight budget.

Fill out the template in the sticky and start a thread sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, what do you reckon I could get for 2312hm monitors on adverts now? Excluding a packed of chewing gum, 2 used codons and a half eaten Toyto bag. I got 2 of those bad boys. Might sell em and get some 1440p.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Guys, what do you reckon I could get for 2312hm monitors on adverts now? Excluding a packed of chewing gum, 2 used codons and a half eaten Toyto bag. I got 2 of those bad boys. Might sell em and get some 1440p.

Can you afford this right now? :O

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U2FDO4C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Can you afford this right now? :O

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U2FDO4C

As I said in other thread, I am REALLY tempted with it. I got few quid putten away in to "just for ****s" fund. If I could sell my 2312hms, then I would get that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement