Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

As I said in other thread, I am REALLY tempted with it. I got few quid putten away in to "just for ****s" fund. If I could sell my 2312hms, then I would get that.

Only on sale for next 40 mins. Amazon won't charge you till dispatch tomorrow. Go buy it NOW! (and buy me 1 too....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If there was ever a justification for owning a credit card.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Nah... I'm waiting for a nice curved ultrawide (and better QC on the panels)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Itd a lovely looking panel but cant afford it atm.
    I think 1440p monitor prices are dropping a little in the last while.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Nah... I'm waiting for a nice curved ultrawide (and better QC on the panels)

I had a Dell curved ultrawide, I really don't get the curved thing. Total gimmick in my opinion, I failed to see the point at all. I get what they're saying, but it just didn't work for me. I know they say 3D is a gimmick as well, but I get far more use out of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Have never seen a curved panel in person myself but from what I've read everyone seems to think it just raises the price of the display unnecessarily. I can see it have some benefit but not much to justify the money especially when such money can get you a higher resolution, Hz or other enthusiast features that are known to up the quality of the display in very noticeable ways.

Would still like to sit at a curved display for a while, though.

Ever tried to sell a PC on adverts or DoneDeal?

Pretty much every second message from a 15 year old "swap for my bmx bike + a PS3 + a dog kennel + a pair of my dads pants"

:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Pretty much every second message from a 15 year old "swap for my bmx bike + a PS3 + a dog kennel + a pair of my dads pants"

Adverts is an extremely frustrating site to sell on. I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

I found you on adverts - got a good laugh out of the attempts to swap bikes and xbox accessories haha

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I can't stand the low-balling chancers who spam your advert with offers increased by a tenner each time and then insult you and your item when you refuse their last low balling attempt.

I'm considering never using that site again, it's a disaster.

• Advertisement

I was selling a 250GB 2.5" hard drive once, got an offer of "offer 5 incl. postage".

It would make you want to reach out of the screen and slap the person across the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

@TerrorFirmer

You're way too nice. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I got one buyer on Adverts that tried to bargain my price down when she showed up to collect! And then she got offended when I said I'd only be accepting the offer that was made and accepted...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

List item for ~€150
    Eventually say I'll do it for €80.
    Get offered €75 :pac:

Needless to say he lost out on that deal. Adverts is pretty bad nowadays, but it does shift stuff reasonably well. And ebay fees are nuts! 11.50 fees on a €100 sale.

Got these TP-link AV1200 homeplugs for 50 pounds in the Amazon flash sale on Monday, free delivery arrived on Wednesday. Now that's service! Speed is amazing on these, I'm getting more than double the speed I had with the old plugs.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UTG32TQ?ref_=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

Amazon is bit sneaky with prices on the flash sales - they don't show up in price history with plugins like the Camelizer. When they ring up the sale it shows as full price BUT you magically get a discount code on the bottom line to reflect the sale price.

Luck100 wrote: »
    Got these TP-link AV1200 homeplugs for 50 pounds in the Amazon flash sale on Monday, free delivery arrived on Wednesday. Now that's service! Speed is amazing on these, I'm getting more than double the speed I had with the old plugs.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UTG32TQ?ref_=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

Amazon is bit sneaky with prices on the flash sales - they don't show up in price history with plugins like the Camelizer. When they ring up the sale it shows as full price BUT you magically get a discount code on the bottom line to reflect the sale price.

Can someone explain this device to me? Internet from electricity whaaaa?

I got one buyer on Adverts that tried to bargain my price down when she showed up to collect! And then she got offended when I said I'd only be accepting the offer that was made and accepted...

Got that too! And she was trying to do it in front of her kids. Great lesson for the young ones! She wouldn't pay the full amount because she said she just messed up and didn't have it. As she was driving away her teenage daughter called me from the window and gave me the rest of the money. I think she was probably sickened at her mom's behaviour and convinced her or the dad to cough up the rest since he waited in the car. Bless

Hope she's happy with that HDTV.

Wright wrote: »
    Can someone explain this device to me? Internet from electricity whaaaa?

Homeplugs let you do networking through your house power lines. Works a lot better than wifi, especially with these new AV1200 plugs.

Homeplugs let you do networking through your house power lines. Works a lot better than wifi, especially with these new AV1200 plugs.

Mad altogether. So one end is hooked up to an actual internet connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Yep. One end into the modem, other end into your PC/laptop/whatever. Not a completely insane concept when you think about it for a while. Telephone cables can send multiple different frequencies over the same line so why not power lines in your house :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Wright wrote: »
    Mad altogether. So one end is hooked up to an actual internet connection?

Yeah, connected to your router via Ethernet.

They're savage yokes, I've my own personal WiFi connection too now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Had the same happen to me. Was due to meet up with a guy in town and I asked him to text me before he left so I could make my way in as well. He lets me know he's about to leave and will only be paying 40 instead of 50 because of petrol money. I told him to stay where he was!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Danger781 wrote: »
    Had the same happen to me. Was due to meet up with a guy in town and I asked him to text me before he left so I could make my way in as well. He lets me know he's about to leave and will only be paying 40 instead of 50 because of petrol money. I told him to stay where he was!
    Some people are pure chancers. Surprisingly I've never had a problem with buyers on Adverts, and have posted/met in person multiple times.

If someone tried to rebargain with me after travelling to set up the meeting, I'd just walk out on them.

https://archive.is/uGpRY

290X (Last gen AMD flagship card) matching/surpassing a 980ti (Current Nvidia flagship card) in the first game to be fully designed with DX12 in mind.

>This is great news for AMD. The company's GCN architecture has long featured asynchronous compute engines (ACE), which up until now haven't really done it any favours when it comes to performance: in the DX11 era, Nvidia was king. Under DX12, those ACEs should finally be put to work, with tasks like physics, lighting, and post-processing being divided into different queues and scheduled independently for processing by the GPU. Nvidia's cards are very much designed for DX11: Anandtech found that any pre-Maxwell GPU from the company (that is, pre-980 Ti, 980, 970, and 960) had to either execute in serial, or pre-empt to move tasks ahead of each other—not a problem under DX11, but potentially one under DX12.

Looks like all that raw compute on AMD cards is finally being used with DX12.

>nvidia said the MSAA was bugged

Nope, nvidia has had access to this code for a year, and the msaa is not bugged: http://oxidegames.com/2015/08/16/the-birth-of-a-new-api/

>Unfortunately, we have to make some corrections because as always there is misinformation. There are incorrect statements regarding issues with MSAA. Specifically, that the application has a bug in it which precludes the validity of the test. We assure everyone that is absolutely not the case. Our code has been reviewed by Nvidia, Microsoft, AMD and Intel. It has passed the very thorough D3D12 validation system provided by Microsoft specifically designed to validate against incorrect usages. All IHVs have had access to our source code for over year, and we can confirm that both Nvidia and AMD compile our very latest changes on a daily basis and have been running our application in their labs for months. Fundamentally, the MSAA path is essentially unchanged in DX11 and DX12. Any statement which says there is a bug in the application should be disregarded as inaccurate information.

Just read this. So AMD is beating the feck out of Nvidia when it comes to DX12. Quite interesting. I'm kinda happy to see Nvidia scrambling even though I use their hardware. I'm most probably going to get an AMD card next time I upgrade. Sure hope Vulkan takes off. Gaming on Linux with this kind of performance and native support would be heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

In more graphics card news the GTX 950 is finally launching looks good, depending on what price it retails at. See an MSI version for GBP128 on amazon for pre-order

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-geforce-gtx-950-strix,4270.html

Competition is always good. 6 months ago, the market share was 38 vs 62% in nVidia's favour. Now AMD's has tumbled to 18%.

They've barely been holding their head above water and have been slowly drowning for years. They need an advantage badly, and soon.

They can't compete with the 980ti, but they can comlete fairly well with the 980 now with 390/390x, which is 2 yo tech! (Although power draw can be an issue).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Gumbi wrote: »
    They can't compete with the 980ti, but they can comlete fairly well with the 980 now with 390/390x, which is 2 yo tech! (Although power draw can be an issue).

290X beats the 980Ti according to that link above? So in DX12 it seems they will be wiping the floor with Nvidia.

Hopefully anyways

290X beats the 980Ti according to that link above? So in DX12 it seems they will be wiping the floor with Nvidia.

Hopefully anyways

Only time will tell if that will pan out though.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Competition is always good. 6 months ago, the market share was 38 vs 62% in nVidia's favour. Now AMD's has tumbled to 18%.

They've barely been holding their head above water and have been slowly drowning for years. They need an advantage badly, and soon.

How does this happen when their GPU game had never been stronger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've had so many freaking problems and arguments with Asus I'm thinking of selling my own Asus ROG Swift and getting something else instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement