Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have been some really, really bad decisions in the world of entertainment?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BikeQueery

Adamantium wrote: »
    An old one:

Fox cancelling Firefly and Joss Whedon not going back to it (with all the grunt he has now as of 2014), instead he is focusing on Marvel shiitee.

What happened to Firefly afterwards with Netflix and DVD/BluRay is akin to what happened to the original Star Trek in the 70's and 80's after it was cancelled, there's a head of steam built for it come back on name alone. aka The Next Generation

They wrapped it with a film called serenity. It's good, give it a watch some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Elvis thinking he could hack it working in a chipper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Dermot Morgan dying

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dermot Morgan dying

That was a decision?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

That was a decision?

Yes, everyone knows cardinal Brady whacked him the cunce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Stephen King placing a self imposed ban on himself from directing movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Links234 wrote: »
    I think I heard that originally the script had it that they were using the humans for processing power, and not batteries. A load of really cool things from the script never made it in to the finished product

I always wondered why they didn't go with that angle actually, its an idea I have read before in (pre-matrix) written SF and it makes a hell of a lot more sense than the 'electricity' idea and it would have allowed them to make a lot of the ideas so much more logical and cohesive if they followed that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭tastyt

Somebody somewhere in Hollywood deciding 60 year old Liam neeson is the new kid on the block as an action man!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

tastyt wrote: »
    Somebody somewhere in Hollywood deciding 60 year old Liam neeson is the new kid on the block as an action man!!

"Taken" was the best action film of the past few years. The rest, no so much :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

The cancellation of "My so-called Life".

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Caddyshack 2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Wibbs wrote: »
    Decca turning down the Beatles because "guitar bands weren't the future"

At the complete other end of the spectrum, Simon Cowell also turned down the Spice Girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    And let us never forget (or remember?) ET, The Game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._the_Extra-Terrestrial_%28video_game%29
    Who could forget such a peach of a game!:D

Atari were left with about twice as many unsold copies of Pac-Man as they were of ET though, I believe. The actual production history of ET makes its title of "worst game ever" pretty unfair on yer man too, with Pac-Man they managed to make an especially bad Pac-Man that was worse than many of the dozens/hundreds of clones already on the machine.
    He was given 5 weeks to make a game that should've taken a few months. Spielberg handpicked him so he felt a bit obligated to try and make a good game out of it instead of churning out a pac man clone, totally blew up in his face but is it really any worse than... every single atari game, I guess? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So many crimes, but the ones that get to me are when someone has a good idea and butchers it, thereby guaranteeing the idea, or even a fully fledged script gets used again in something good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

BikeQueery wrote: »
    They wrapped it with a film called serenity. It's good, give it a watch some time.

I know it was, but it ain't a series :(

Not killing off Sylar permanently after season 1 of Heroes, half the trouble and wonder of the show was how they were going to take him down, and when they did it was "Yesss!"

Without resolution in stories, it renders everything inert.

Best 1st season to show I've ever watched

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Then the writers strike halfway through the next season completely ruined it, it came back a shadow of its former self. The first season was truely brilliant. Sigh.

A very bad decision in entertainment well at least for the labels and studios was releasing their content on CDs and DVDs, a digital format that never degrades as you can copy and back up 1:1 while creating multiples and transferring them easily. The record industry crying that home taping was killing music then release CDs?

Then the internet happened. Yay, sharing is fun.

Edward James Olmos being for the first pick for Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation and turns it down, but it ain't so bad as he made Adama iconic in BSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

The introduction of Elvis Presley to fast food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Nintendo deleting the section behind kakariko village in oot in order to get the game out for xmas. Bastards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

TV3's The Box hosted by Keith Duffy.. Ireland's Big Brother indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ItsShane

REC 3: What the hell were they thinking? We wanted to know what happened with Angela! Luckily they're making a 4th and forgetting about the 3rd one.

Exorcist 3

Allowing Hulk Hogan to continue wrestling at such an old age.

The cancellation of Scrubs. OK, I know it went down hill for the last 2 seasons, final one being awful, but I never wanted it to end :(

The strike during Heroes. Bring on the new season next year!

Not getting Hayden Panettiere to do a topless scene in Heroes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Ryan Tubridy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    At the complete other end of the spectrum, Simon Cowell also turned down the Spice Girls.
    I thought it was Take That he turned down and told them to get rid of the fat one aka Gary Barlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Twink at the FG (?) Ard Fheis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Rebooting Star Wars. The Phantom Menace in particular is truly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Every movie Schwarzenegger has made since he returned from politics. Especially 'Terminator Genisys'. *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Candie wrote: »
    It didn't bother anyone when the original had all male leads. Don't see the problem with female leads for a change.

Want to place a bet on how much suckage that movie would generate? How absolutely cringeworthy it would be?

We could remake harry potter with an entire adult cast. Or Steel magnolias with an all male cast. Or we could remake How stella got her groove back with...actually, let's not touch that film.

I'm not saying that you couldn't have a female ghostbuster or two, but all of them? That would suck.
    Besides, Melissa Mccarthy is no Aykroyd, Ramis or Murray. They were comedy greats. Ghostbusters had the three biggest comedy writers/actors of the 80's along with one of the greatest comedy directors. To be fair, any remake would pale in comparison and would probably be a huge mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

This haircut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Alien Vs. Predator

Advertisement