Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What sort of fancy junction is on the ballirobe road?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

No roundabout on the Newport road is a bit weird.

afatbollix wrote: »
    No roundabout on the Newport road is a bit weird.

in castlebar or westport side.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

irishgeo wrote: »

Looks like a standard on/off ramp set for a flyover I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Here's a more detailed pic of N84 junction:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Not sure when this thread was renamed to "under construction", but I think it's clear that it is underway now, though I don't think there was any announcement.

Is there an official site?

Good point, there should be a website - the N22 and N4 projects both have one.
    spacetweek wrote: »
    Not sure when this thread was renamed to "under construction", but I think it's clear that it is underway now, though I don't think there was any announcement.

Is there an official site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Essential workers: Construction. repair/construction of critical road and utility infrastructure

Hopefully this project can continue in an safe and appropriate way. Keep some economic activity and jobs going in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hondar

Essential workers: Construction. repair/construction of critical road and utility infrastructure

Hopefully this project can continue in an safe and appropriate way. Keep some economic activity and jobs going in the region.

It's shut down. construction workers will only be permitted to continue at work if they are building something that is essential to the pandemic.

hondar wrote:
    It's shut down. construction workers will only be permitted to continue at work if they are building something that is essential to the pandemic.

Really. I would have thought there was a lot of work that could safely continue on projects like this. But that's were we are I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hondar

Really. I would have thought there was a lot of work that could safely continue on projects like this. But that's were we are I suppose.

Has to be done unfortunately.

FWIW I went to Dunnes in Castlebar today and passed by some of the works - good progress made in the short time since I last passed on St Patrick's Day.

There was even a steam roller to be seen at the future Castlebar West roundabout.

Hopefully the work will restart in a month or two and the land will be drier so they can plough through it (pun intended)

hondar wrote: »
    Has to be done unfortunately.

Will we see this restart on May 18th?

Question is will the construction workers be allowed to travel more than 5km to get to the site? That's not clear to me at all.
    Will we see this restart on May 18th?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Question is will the construction workers be allowed to travel more than 5km to get to the site? That's not clear to me at all.

You could always travel further than 5km. It was only for exercise you had to be within the 2/5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭blackwhite

5km is the limit for exercise only.

For any essential travel, there is no distance limit.

For any non-essential travel the distance is irrelevant, as non-essential travel is banned whether it is 1km or 100km.

How on earth do people still need this explained, given the rules have been in place for 5 and a half weeks at this stage (with only the exercise distance changed since then)?

My point was, the government's reopening plan does not make reference to construction work being essential work. Also there have been stories in the media of people who were travelling for work being turned back at Garda checkpoints.

blackwhite wrote: »
    5km is the limit for exercise only.

For any essential travel, there is no distance limit.

For any non-essential travel the distance is irrelevant, as non-essential travel is banned whether it is 1km or 100km.

How on earth do people still need this explained, given the rules have been in place for 5 and a half weeks at this stage (with only the exercise distance changed since then)?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

My point was, the government's reopening plan does not make reference to construction work being essential work. Also there have been stories in the media of people who were travelling for work being turned back at Garda checkpoints.

I'm pretty sure construction work is set to start back as part of phase 1 of the road map, i.e. 18th May.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The governments reopening plans specifically mentions construction returning on May 18th along with DIY stores and garden centers reopening. How do expect that people in these areas could return to work if they weren't allowed to travel?

And absolutely nobody who could prove that they were travelling to their essential job was turned back. I've passed through 40-50 checkpoints in the last month without any difficulty.

It'll be back on the 18th so? Anyone have the inside track?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

It'll be back on the 18th so? Anyone have the inside track?

I'm sure I heard it on mid west news one of the mornings, that work is restarting on the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I'm sure I heard it on mid west news one of the mornings, that work is restarting on the 18th.

Great news and not unexpected.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Superb news. Total stoppage just 7 weeks, which isn't too bad for a 2-3 year job.

Also it has hardly rained since the lockdown started, so the land will have dried up massively. Hopefully this will help speed up the earthworks.
    marno21 wrote: »

Superb news. Total stoppage just 7 weeks, which isn't too bad for a 2-3 year job.

Also it has hardly rained since the lockdown started, so the land will have dried up massively. Hopefully this will help speed up the earthworks.

The lad has dried up. The flooding in the fields around the beaten path has totally cleared up.

irishgeo wrote:
    The lad has dried up. The flooding in the fields around the beaten path has totally cleared up.

I'm sorry to hear your lad has dried up ðŸ˜

Any sign of a website launching for this project?

From the Mayo forum:
    Some equipment being unloaded at breaffy road crossing point this morning.

Couple of diggers working away at the Pheasanthill junction today. Good to see them back

Same at lodge road junction in Westport today, see attached
    Couple of diggers working away at the Pheasanthill junction today. Good to see them back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Given 90% of the work at this stage is being done by people in individual machines, I think this should have been allowed to continue during the lockdown, same for the N22. It is very low risk work but could have saved the taxpayer a couple of hundred grand.

Advertisement