Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

mayo.mick wrote: »
    "Contracts are signed for the largest infrastructural investment in County Mayo"

EIMy3AZXkAICZ7o?format=jpg&name=small

So is actual construction of this much needed scheme due to get underway this side of Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So is actual construction of this much needed scheme due to get underway this side of Christmas?

I doubt it. Maybe some compounds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Value of the contract is 128 million ex VAT, see here: https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/222608

Way less than the 240 million mentioned in media releases. Presumably that includes land acquisition costs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Value of the contract is 128 million ex VAT, see here: https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/222608

Way less than the 240 million mentioned in media releases. Presumably that includes land acquisition costs etc

Indeed but same wouldn't fit in with the narrative that this project wasn't value for money nor badly needed.

Article in this week's Mayo News quotes Tara Spain from TII confirming the road will be open in 2022 and the existing N5 will become a regional road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Neworder79 wrote: »
    I spoke to engineers at one of the hearings and they were very clear the data supported type 2 dual carriageway and on-line was not possible for much of the route.

There's a shocker: Roads engineers justifying larger roads.

Bigger shock that people here will not agree. But this is bad transport planning on top of bad general planning. It will fuel the suburbanisation of the county, reinforce poor transport planning and develop Castlebar and Westport into some kind of urban/suburban mass that poorly planned. We're all told this will free up town centres but all examples to date shows mid to long term growth of local traffic and it fill the space and cause worse congestion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

monument wrote: »
    There's a shocker: Roads engineers justifying larger roads.

Bigger shock that people here will not agree. But this is bad transport planning on top of bad general planning. It will fuel the suburbanisation of the county, reinforce poor transport planning and develop Castlebar and Westport into some kind of urban/suburban mass that poorly planned. We're all told this will free up town centres but all examples to date shows mid to long term growth of local traffic and it fill the space and cause worse congestion.

That's entirely possible in this case, as it's likely that the new road will fuel a big expansion of Castlebar in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

To be fair Castlebar is already a poorly planned suburban mess with greenfield sites close to the town centre and housing developments miles out from the town, so I don't think this road can or will make things any worse than they already are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Wills are looking fo 40 jeeps for their engineers and site managers etc. This sort of stuff and all the rest with be a big boost to the local economy while this is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

This sort of stuff and all the rest with be a big boost to the local economy while this is going on.
    Yes indeed - Ringer brings home the bacon - and just before an election too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

I doubt it was "all" down to mr ring, but I'm sure he wont deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Ara lads Alergan put e74 million in wages into the area each year.

Buying a few jeeps off a manufacture won't change much.

afatbollix wrote:
    Buying a few jeeps off a manufacture won't change much.

They are not being bought off Manufacturer. You misunderstand how this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

My mother has a Dacia if they want to hire that for two years?

If that's what you mean.

Your mother's Dacia has too much wear I'd say.

(By all accounts)

serfboard wrote: »
    Yes indeed - Ringer brings home the bacon - and just before an election too!
    unit 1 wrote: »
    I doubt it was "all" down to mr ring, but I'm sure he wont deny it.
    Of course it wasn't - I was being facetious. But you can be sure he'll take the credit for it, and isn't he right in the front row in the picture shown above?

And just to be clear - I've driven this stretch of the N5 quite a few times and there is no doubt in my mind that this road needed to be done. In fact my only quibble with it would be that it's a pity that it didn't inlcude a southern Westport bypass too, linking the new road to the Leenane (N59) and Louisburgh (R335) roads. The topography of the area may have been against it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

serfboard wrote: »
    Of course it wasn't - I was being facetious. But you can be sure he'll take the credit for it, and isn't he right in the front row in the picture shown above?

And just to be clear - I've driven this stretch of the N5 quite a few times and there is no doubt in my mind that this road needed to be done. In fact my only quibble with it would be that it's a pity that it didn't inlcude a southern Westport bypass too, linking the new road to the Leenane (N59) and Louisburgh (R335) roads. The topography of the area may have been against it.

It would be handy but on the other hand I suppose the kind of traffic that would be heading for the reek/beaches/killary etc is exactly the kind of traffic you don't want to divert around the town in terms of local businesses and that.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It would be handy but on the other hand I suppose the kind of traffic that would be heading for the reek/beaches/killary etc is exactly the kind of traffic you don't want to divert around the town in terms of local businesses and that.
    So it's better to clog up the town instead?

serfboard wrote:
    So it's better to clog up the town instead?

Clog the tills with money would be the hope I inagine

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

Of course he will, but the real credit probably lies with another.

In my view it wasn't always going to be done unless we had the money. The only reason imo that it is happening now is that it survived the massive cull of road projects just after the crash (many others might even have been worthier in their own right) resulting in it being "shovel ready" when money was available. Somebody who shall remain nameless (and "never did anything for castlebar" saw to this.

If it had been culled then, the chances of resurrecting it I'd say would have been slim, as surely the M20 with a local future taoiseach (from both sides) will probably hoover up any spare cash in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 On the job

Is there a hold up on the road construction at the minute or is that only a rumour going round be grate to see it going and getting done.

On the job wrote: »
    Is there a hold up on the road construction at the minute or is that only a rumour going round be grate to see it going and getting done.

The ground is soaking wet. Big machines and mud don't work together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 On the job

irishgeo wrote: »
    The ground is soaking wet. Big machines and mud don't work together.

I understand that part but there was rumours going round about there was a problem between the council and the contractors doing the road

They have already started, number of machines already digging.

They have already started, number of machines already digging.

Where is that?

Where is that?

Just outside Turlough id expect. Didn't see it but was talking to two of the digger drivers.
    The compound near the breaffy road is also active the past few days.

Seen a couple of wills Van's around.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Thou

Just outside Turlough id expect. Didn't see it but was talking to two of the digger drivers.
    The compound near the breaffy road is also active the past few days.

Seen them just off the N5 opposite side to turn off for townland of Ballyneggin, looks like this is where the Dual Carriageway begins coming off the original N5.

Any chance of a pic or two from anyone passing by?
    Thou wrote: »
    Seen them just off the N5 opposite side to turn off for townland of Ballyneggin, looks like this is where the Dual Carriageway begins coming off the original N5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Any chance of a pic or two from anyone passing by?
    Sounds like this has started but no official announcement from the construction company?

Advertisement