Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good progress going on.
    Took a walk along the rugby road and aghadrigna road section for a look.
    They are gone very deep.

Would they open sections say from turlough to current n5 or will it all be done end to end before they open?

No lights on the westport or brobe roads yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Posts deleted - still discussing banned subject. Any more and sanctions will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

yop wrote: »
    Would they open sections
    This question is often asked during road projects and invites lots of speculation, but in the end, the usual practice is not to open sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Is there a website for this project?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Is there a website for this project?

Haven't had a right look yet, so not sure if up to date.

http://www.regdesign.com/?page_id=493

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

^^ That's the old Mayo RDO website for the project progression.

No sign of any official website by the contractor or engineers similar to www.n22bbm.ie for the Macroom project which started around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Baldilocks

I have often wondered why road projects (for dual carriageway/motorway don't focus on getting one carriageway up and running end to end, and then open it with a temporary central divider (the plastic yokes) and low-ish speed limit (60kph). It has the potential to remove alot of traffic from towns - at busy periods, thus reducing pollution, frustration, etc.
    Can anyone with 'the knowledge' comment?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Baldilocks wrote: »
    I have often wondered why road projects (for dual carriageway/motorway don't focus on getting one carriageway up and running end to end, and then open it with a temporary central divider (the plastic yokes) and low-ish speed limit (60kph). It has the potential to remove alot of traffic from towns - at busy periods, thus reducing pollution, frustration, etc.

It wouldn't be vaguely cost efficient. Basically doing everything twice but for half the time, using up gobs of extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Would of thought a saftey issue too. So much is needed these days to close one side of a road or beside a road that it would just take longer to do with the road just closed.

Also theres not much difference on working on a 4 lane road to a 2 lane road when it comes to drainage, line marking tarmacing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Baldilocks wrote: »

You can't build half a bridge. It's likely to fall down. Some sections could be finished both sides before many of the bridges are built. If it's flat and doesn't need a bridge or has a good base. That section could be tarred and ready to go in a few months. Bits with bridges or through bad ground areas will take longer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Plus these days there's no central reservation, so both sides are built as one road with the central barrier placed in the middle towards the end of construction.

Plus these days there's no central reservation, so both sides are built as one road with the central barrier placed in the middle towards the end of construction.

its going to be a wire central reservation on this road.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

irishgeo wrote: »
    its going to be a wire central reservation on this road.

Still placed in the middle of a single structure, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Some heavy plant just east of the future Castlebar west junction today. Massive progress both here and near N84 junction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Anyone fancy updating OpenStreetMap for this scheme? :D I updated the N22 scheme last week (no junctions, just the outline)

Two little updates on this scheme :

1. Interesting talk by the Design Manager of Wills Bros about the project: https://youtu.be/Ag0Z1EBx3To

2. Couple of pics from around the N84 junction today:

Couple of pictures from today, at future Lough Lannagh causeway (pics 1 and 2) and the Castlebar east junction (pic 3).

Project website is live:

https://n5w2t.com/

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Just back from a long weekend away in Mayo with my partner. Much needed break to recharge the batteries.

We saw the earthworks for this major scheme at several locations outside Castlebar and they are making excellent progress with heavy earthworks. The N5 between Castlebar and Westport is seriously overloaded with traffic and is very clearly unfit for purpose. The N5 Type 2 DC scheme cannot come quickly enough.

There is a stop/go arrangement in place (manned by construction workers) on the main N5 a few miles to the West of Castlebar where the scheme crosses the N5.

When I get some free time I will try to post a couple of photos I took of the works up here.

Pic close to N84 junction today. Not much has visibly changed here or at the N5 crossing point in the last month or so.

I presume the works are focused at the two future railway bridges either side of Castlebar, but I can't get close enough to check if that's the case :)

They weren't long getting the signs up TII .2 new signs showing the new road where the funding is from etc.

Some glare in the full beams off the 2 of them in breaffy. Not sure why there is 2 as I couldn't read them with the glare.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I assume you will access the new road via roundabout at Turlough? Claremorris and ballinrobe roads will be access via a junction flyover similar to the Kilmaine road on the Tuam bypass?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

yew_tree wrote: »
    I assume you will access the new road via roundabout at Turlough? Claremorris and ballinrobe roads will be access via a junction flyover similar to the Kilmaine road on the Tuam bypass?
    Exactly that, yes.

Maguire haulage have some amount of trucks on the road

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I heard over 100 trucks.

Hearing the road to Islandeady from the Westport/Cbar road to be closed for 7 months. That will make a big impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Maguire's have a serious operation,trucks on nearly every infrastructure project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Some dashcam of the N5 junction and Breaffy Rd crossing taken today.

Advertisement