Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

I hope the greens get their wish and this project is promptly canceled. I don't give a **** about the bitching of the multinationals they are only here for our low corporate tax rate if the road is so vital to them they can pay for it with their ample profits. We need to move away from cars and towards public transport.

Despite people's delusions on here Mayo will never be the next great manufacturing/technology hub. And no amount of wasted investment will reverse the global trend of people moving away from rural areas to urban centres.

You don't give a sh1t about the multinationals?
    That's grand but the thousands of families who depend on them for their livelihood would like them to stick around.
    I was worried for a while that the Greens would get their wish as you say but it's tough titties to yourself and the Greens as it's well under way now.

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    Pointless arguing with people like that. Clueless and full of hate for rural Ireland, they hate that'its harder to control every aspect of people's lives who live there.

Actually I love rural Ireland and want to do everything I can to protect and preserve its beauty and uniqueness. I don't want it ruined by pointless projects that blight the landscape and do nothing but encourage pollution that both damages the environment and ruins people's health.

HBC08 wrote: »
    You don't give a sh1t about the multinationals?
    That's grand but the thousands of families who depend on them for their livelihood would like them to stick around.
    I was worried for a while that the Greens would get their wish as you say but it's tough titties to yourself and the Greens as it's well under way now.

Of course I care about the families and those that work in the multinationals but that still doesn't excuse the fact that they pay one of the lowest corporate tax rates in Europe, if they payed their fair share like other companies in Europe then my attitude might be slightly different.

Thankfully there is still time for the project to be cancelled, if you haven't heard already this country is facing a big recession and we need to cut any non essential projects.

Unless of course you would prefer the money to be wasted?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Back to thread I think.

Serious amount of material been moved on my road and big progress already on the various sections around me here.
    The last 3 months have shown what the new road will bring to us on the old one who have to run for our lives when out walking with the kids on the various rat run roads which are been used but also just getting onto the main road the struggles are lethal due to the hidden dips and speed and volume of traffic.

Will bring a lot to the area and worthy of the investment in the towns and the volumes shared. Will be great for the kids to be able to finally walk and cycle to school now from around the area and for the school there which is a lethal spot.

It will definitely be great for the kids after October when the budget cuts roll around and resources for schools and other services are cut. But sure at least you'll be able to enjoy your new road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It will definitely be great for the kids after October when the budget cuts roll around and resources for schools and other services are cut. But sure at least you'll be able to enjoy your new road.

If you've nothing proper to add then don't bother tbh.

Yes I will, as someone who was nearly killed on it 11 years ago I'm enjoying my life and will not be sorry to see the end of it.
    As someone who knows someone killed on one of its lethals bends while out walking then yes I will enjoy the new road.
    As someone who lost a 17 yr old cousin on that sh9t9e road in a car crash I will be happy that the new road will dramatically reduce the chances of that happening again.

As I said, if you've nothing to add of value or experience then don't go posting again.

yop wrote: »
    If you've not proper to add then don't bother tbh.

Yes I will, as someone who was nearly killed on it 11 years ago I'm enjoying my life and will not be sorry to see the end of it.
    As someone who knows someone killed on one of its lethals bends while out walking then yes I will enjoy the new road.
    As someone who lost a 17 yr old cousin on that sh9t9e road in a car crash I will be happy that the new road will dramatically reduce the chances of that happening again.

As I said, if you've nothing to add of value or experience then don't go posting again.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin I can only imagine how heartbreaking that must be.

But the people you mentioned could have been saved by enforcing the current driving laws, we don't need a new road what we need is speed cameras on approaches to bends along with hefty fines for those caught speeding. This doesn't just apply to the road between Westport and Castlebar but across the whole county.

Personally if it were up to me I'd install speed averageing cameras at multiple points along the road. Far cheaper than 200 million

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Keep the politics for the politics forum, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

I drove Westport to Castlebar this morning and every second or third vehicle seemed to be a truck hauling material for this road. I don't know where the fill is coming from (somewhere near Westport maybe?) but the trucks were turning in to the site at Pheasanthill to deliver it.

yop wrote: »
    Back to thread I think.

Serious amount of material been moved on my road and big progress already on the various sections around me here.
    The last 3 months have shown what the new road will bring to us on the old one who have to run for our lives when out walking with the kids on the various rat run roads which are been used but also just getting onto the main road the struggles are lethal due to the hidden dips and speed and volume of traffic.

Will bring a lot to the area and worthy of the investment in the towns and the volumes shared. Will be great for the kids to be able to finally walk and cycle to school now from around the area and for the school there which is a lethal spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Exactly which may bring a new multi national into the area which brings wages and year long employment to the area and generating taxes.

It's not going to stopped so stop deluding yourself.

<snip>

The west has been underfunded for years.

The new road will be a much safer road. I see cars reversing out from houses near the town on to a National primary road with huge traffic and seen multiple crashes on the same strech of road. The new road will bring heavy trucks away from the town and make the roads in the town and outside safer for everyone. I'm well aware of all the rat runs people use to avoid the town. One road only wide enough for one car in places.

Mod: Keep politics out of it, as per above Mod posts.

• Advertisement

Of course I care about the families and those that work in the multinationals but that still doesn't excuse the fact that they pay one of the lowest corporate tax rates in Europe, if they payed their fair share like other companies in Europe then my attitude might be slightly different.

Thankfully there is still time for the project to be cancelled, if you haven't heard already this country is facing a big recession and we need to cut any non essential projects.

Unless of course you would prefer the money to be wasted?

So you'd like the rest of us in rural Ireland to emigrate somewhere else for a job, so you can live in a nature reserve. Whats worse your likely another blowin.
    I hear the area around Chernobyl is thriving in wildlife and its nice and quiet. No food supplies or shops or hospitals or schools or electricity or people, but at least the roads are quiet. Give it a go.

So you'd like the rest of us in rural Ireland to emigrate somewhere else for a job, so you can live in a nature reserve. Whats worse your likely another blowin.
    I hear the area around Chernobyl is thriving in wildlife and its nice and quiet. No food supplies or shops or hospitals or schools or electricity or people, but at least the roads are quiet. Give it a go.

Believe it or not I do work in the county and I'm no blow in. No matter how hard you wish you won't be able to reverse the global trend of young people moving away from rural areas to urban centres. Mayo needs to focus on the areas it's good at which are tourism and farming no amount of delusions of grandeur will turn us into some Mecca for multinationals.

Those companies are only here for the tax rate and if that changes they will take off. Let's see how useful their new road is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Believe it or not I do work in the county and I'm no blow in. No matter how hard you wish you won't be able to reverse the global trend of young people moving away from rural areas to urban centres. Mayo needs to focus on the areas it's good at which are tourism and farming no amount of delusions of grandeur will turn us into some Mecca for multinationals.

This road is a much needed piece of infrastructure. You are pushing a political agenda which is largely irrelevant to this project.

This road is a much needed piece of infrastructure. You are pushing a political agenda which is largely irrelevant to this project.

No it's not necessary despite how much you claim it to be, the only agenda that matters is protecting the environment from unnecessary damage. And I believe the money can do more social good being spent on other causes.

Thankfully there is still a small chance I can be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

No it's not necessary despite how much you claim it to be, the only agenda that matters is protecting the environment from unnecessary damage. And I believe the money can do more social good being spent on other causes.

Are you from Mayo?
    Have you driven past it recently?
    It's not going to be stopped,unreal how much work they've done in a short while.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There is zero chance it will be cancelled. The contract has been signed and work has started. If it was somehow cancelled there would be a court case and a massive payout to the contractor probably to the value of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Those companies are only here for the tax rate and if that changes they will take off. Let's see how useful their new road is then.

Tourists and farmers need roads too. Ahh yes allergan pumping millions into new factories are going to up and leave because we put a percentage on the corporate tax. We are the only English speaking country in the EU now.

Young people leave rural because there is no jobs. Because industry doesn't want to move their because the infrastructure is poor.
    Tourism is seasonal. Farming is hard in mayo as super farms are becoming a thing and meat prices mean farmers can't make a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I hope the greens get their wish and this project is promptly canceled. I don't give a **** about the bitching of the multinationals they are only here for our low corporate tax rate if the road is so vital to them they can pay for it with their ample profits. We need to move away from cars and towards public transport.

Despite people's delusions on here Mayo will never be the next great manufacturing/technology hub. And no amount of wasted investment will reverse the global trend of people moving away from rural areas to urban centres.

So what, you want a Luas between Castlebar and Westport instead? Blatant trolling, should be banned instantly.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    So what, you want a Luas between Castlebar and Westport instead? Blatant trolling, should be banned instantly.

Did I mention the Luas? We should develop a decent bus service between the two towns we should also look into the possibility of a new local train service that runs regularly between the three major Mayo towns of Westport, Castlebar and Ballina.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Hyland17

While I agree that a decent bus service would be welcomed the biggest hurdle is that we are still rural a lot of the traffic is not from the town's. Take for example a friend of mine travels from louisburgh to ballina for work everyday. It's not possible for him to use public transport. I do agree the new road might be a bit overkill but it is very welcomed and badly needed. I have had a few friends that has been in accidents on that road and very lucky to be with us today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Did I mention the Luas? We should develop a decent bus service between the two towns we should also look into the possibility of a new local train service that runs regularly between the three major Mayo towns of Westport, Castlebar and Ballina.

What do buses run on?
    Roads.

I need say no more..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is a train service already serving those towns. Why is that not sufficient?

What do buses run on?
    Roads.

I need say no more..

Yes and we could have a more frequent service using the existing road.

There is a train service already serving those towns. Why is that not sufficient?

It's not a very frequent service. It's fine if you are traveling to Dublin however I'd like to see a smaller local service aimed at commuters between the three mayo towns.

It's not a very frequent service. It's fine if you are traveling to Dublin however I'd like to see a smaller local service aimed at commuters between the three mayo towns.

Would there be any takers?

What sort of numbers would you expect?

We would all like a special service tailored to our own needs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yes and we could have a more frequent service using the existing road.

How do you know that would be possible?
    What about traffic congestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

CART, Castlebar Area Rapid Transport.

6541 wrote: »
    CART, Castlebar Area Rapid Transport.

CART - Castlebar Area Rural Transport - all you would need is the addition of an ass.

Would there be any takers?

What sort of numbers would you expect?

We would all like a special service tailored to our own needs.

Stop asking sensible questions.
    Putting buses on an already crowded dangerous road won't increase travel time or safety.

The government supplement most of the cost of the Galway to Limerick train service. If rail was viable then the claremorris line would be open.

Plenty of the posters on here have experience and or live on this road. Been told that the deaths of my cousin and friend would have been stopped by speed cameras when speed wasn't not the cause of either death was enough to spot this thread was wasting breath.

The studies have been done, the business cases have been done , the cost benefit and traffic figures are there for all to see.

Suck a lemon at this stage and let the world progress.

• Advertisement

Mod: Since the contract has been signed and work already underway, this project will not be cancelled or redrawn.

Consequently, any such discussion is off topic. Just use this thread for progress reports.

Thank you.

Advertisement