Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand name clothes

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Just a Jaguar E-type or MKII for me!

Chicken...LOL

It's all or nothing for me...

I wouldn't waste my time with cheap clothes, couldn't tell you the last time I set foot in a place like penny's etc. I buy boxers in dunnes but that's it. Cheap clothes are a false economy and you really do get what you pay for when it comes to fit. I also think clothes look very plain without a logo of some sort.

The vast majority of my clothes are Abercrombie, hollister, and hilfiger with some boss, RL and diesel for jeans etc. Even stated wearing hilfiger socks now after getting them as a present a while back, something I would have thought wouldn't be worth the money but they are miles ahead of cheap socks when you get used to it.

The thing is I rarely have to buy clothes because they all last and just buy a newitem every now and again. I have stuff for years that's still like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I wouldn't waste my time with cheap clothes, couldn't tell you the last time I set foot in a place like penny's etc. I buy boxers in dunnes but that's it. Cheap clothes are a false economy and you really do get what you pay for when it comes to fit. I also think clothes look very plain without a logo of some sort.

The vast majority of my clothes are Abercrombie, hollister, and hilfiger with some boss, RL and diesel for jeans etc. Even stated wearing hilfiger socks now after getting them as a present a while back, something I would have thought wouldn't be worth the money but they are miles ahead of cheap socks when you get used to it.

The thing is I rarely have to buy clothes because they all last and just buy a newitem every now and again. I have stuff for years that's still like new.

Dunnes boxers ain't bad.Very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I buy whatever takes my fancy TBH. I wear Zara with RL tops and Diesel jeans. I will avoid any clothes with large or obvious logo. I cannot abide Tommy H...:mad:

I am a bloke and there is so much nasty crap out there. I am thinking Next, River Island etc that low to mid quality level samey rubbish. I cannot and never will understand the fascination with Next. It is a sea of cheap dull grey/brown blandness.

One thing I will not scrimp on is shoes and jeans oh and work shirts. You cannor get away or disguise crap cheap shoes plus your feet will never forgive you.

I don't wear a watch because the one I want costs nearly 25k and that aint happening anytime soon. I would rather have no watch than some crap with the time piece shipped in from China while fronted by Tag Heur or Breitling or Raymond Weil. As an expert in watches said to me, genuine watches cost a minimum of 10k- as in genuine article Swiss time pieces. Wearing the aforementioned brands is like having large hoarding on your headsaying 'I spent 2k on this Tag Heur because I think it is the business. In reality I have absolutely no idea about watches.' Dont even go there on the 'Designer' watches.

Wow! I mean Wow!! I haven't lived!!! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree, I dont do garish monster watches the size of a slab of cheese. The smaller the better.
    Depends on your wrist too. I've tiny wrists for a bloke and don't like huge watches(EG Panerai), but 33-35mm across is about my lower size limit before it starts looking like a nicked a girlfriends watch while 40-42 would be the upper(I've one vintage Heuer chrono at 43mm but it looks and wears smaller).
    As an expert in watches said to me, genuine watches cost a minimum of 10k- as in genuine article Swiss time pieces. Wearing the aforementioned brands is like having large hoarding on your headsaying 'I spent 2k on this Tag Heur because I think it is the business. In reality I have absolutely no idea about watches.' Dont even go there on the 'Designer' watches.
    TBH I'd have a couple of bones to pick with your "expert". He or she is pretty much talking utter nonsense IMHO.

I'm no Rolex fan, but they're "genuine article" Swiss, with inhouse movements and manufacture and many of their models cost a lot less than 10k. In any event the whole "swiss made" mechanicals are genuine article authentic is mostly the result of a very successful marketing campaign by Swiss makers back in the 80's. This was the result of a time when so many "genuine Swiss made" companies went wallop because of quartz(and other factors). You couldn't give Brietlings away in the 70's/80's, ditto for Heuers. Nobody wanted them. Hence both companies barely survived by the skin of their teeth. Others didn't survive, only to come back as marketing companies with added "authentic" history. Most of the big names BS their history anyway and market to a set niche the parent conglomerate(mostly the Swatch group) set. EG Brietling are the "pilots watch" as far as the ads go, yet Longines would blow them out of the water as far as aviation history is concerned.

Designer watches? They pretty much all are depending on your viewpoint. A 20quid Casio will outperform a 50 grand Patek on pretty much every metric you throw at it. So why are you buying a Patek? History? Sure, they actually do have it(though were always niche). Craftsmanship? Most certainly. They are beautifully made(though I find their designs a tad bland myself). Mostly it's the cache, the name and the prices reflect that, though it has been suggested there's a fair bit of artificial shenanigans going on with price raising in the secondhand market. Omega ditto.

Wear what you like I say. Look at actual quality rather than the label.

Somebody mentioned black denim not lasting long. Tip I found is use woolite at low temps and don't tumble dry them. That way they can last for years. I've a UK made pair of Levi 501's and they're still as black as your boot(and the UK factory closed down in the late 90's). Keeps blue lasting longer too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

My parents once relented and got my brother a pair of Adidas runners for his birthday. They lasted about 2 months and any time he asked for anything like that again, they do still be brought up in big lectures about how Penney's sells better stuff than any kind of brand but without the label.

My dad got really excited once in the market when she saw some clothes with Adidas and Nike on them for cheap. Thought he got us a treat. They were like these ten euro rainbow colours wooly jumpers with a logo glued onto the front and a totally different label on them ...should check if they're still at home actually, sound kind of class now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rotun

My parents once relented and got my brother a pair of Adidas runners for his birthday. They lasted about 2 months and any time he asked for anything like that again, they do still be brought up in big lectures about how Penney's sells better stuff than any kind of brand but without the label!
    Your parents would want to raise their sample size before making a judgement like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Well every item these days has its knock off or same product under different brand. when it comes to buying t-shirts its waste of money to fork out 20-30e for some crap t-shirt that has some stupid picture on it,that one could buy same t-shirt in penneys or the likes for 3-8e. Also depends on the person,if you are messy and sort then cheaper stuff is way to go,as you wont be sorry if it gets dirty or wears too soon,but for example if you need t-shirt that represents certain team,brand then sometimes its worth to spend that kind of money. for example i have couple swiss army knifes at home,that are over 15 years old yet i got one new year ago and besides little wear you wouldn't know how old it is and what stuff was done with it,meaning that quality stuff most the times have almost life long guarantee on them,where some ****ty tools,clothes might get you trough the job or whatever but just for that time. So its not only brand name,but more like quality of manufacturing that counts to the price. that's why wise people choose brand stuff for work,wear and cheap stuff when they know it will be forgotten or not missed at all if it breaks or wears off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I only ever buy Yves Saint Lauren or Gucci Boiler-suits as I find the cheap ones ride up my a55. That way, when I am lying in the muck under a broken lorry, I know for sure I am looking my best and comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I buy expensive stuff because it lasts longer, fits nicer and looks better. I don't like stuff with big logos on it though which can be hard to avoid since a lot of expensive brands are aimed at people who want to say "hey look at me I'm wearing expensive clothes so I must be rich!" and that's not my sort of thing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

MadYaker wrote: »
    I buy expensive stuff because it lasts longer, fits nicer and looks better. I don't like stuff with big logos on it though which can be hard to avoid since a lot of expensive brands are aimed at people who want to say "hey look at me I'm wearing expensive clothes so I must be rich!" and that's not my sort of thing at all.

Hollister and Superdry are very guilty of the excessive logo thing so I never wear their stuff.

Has become too common too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I used think superdry was ok but it's become as crap as jack and jones. I tend to splash out on clothes when I need them. The quality and fit of a good brand can't be rivaled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Would buy cheap clothes as don't really wear dresses ect more than once or twice. Sunglasses, shoes, bags, and glasses now I don't mind spending money on because ill use them a lot

Wibbs wrote: »

I'm no Rolex fan, but they're "genuine article" Swiss, with inhouse movements and manufacture and many of their models cost a lot less than 10k. I

I always think of Rolex Oyster watches as the Burberry check of designer watches. It's the first thing someone with lots of money and no taste buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

awec wrote: »
    Hollister and Superdry are very guilty of the excessive logo thing so I never wear their stuff.

Has become too common too.

Hollister and Superdry aren't expensive really. It's always been the way with certain brands like Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger neither of which I like very much, sometimes they do good jeans, and I have an RL hoody that's good quality and has lasted ages.

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

MadYaker wrote: »
    Hollister and Superdry aren't expensive really. It's always been the way with certain brands like Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger neither of which I like very much, sometimes they do good jeans, and I have an RL hoody that's good quality and has lasted ages.

I would agree and wouldn't consider them expensive, but I didn't want to sound like I am up myself! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I rarely shell out on brands anymore maybe a nice jacket the odd time,I have amassed a fairly extensive
    collection of polo shirts over the years,mostly Fred Perry and lacoste and all of them are in good nick despite some of them being over ten years old. You would definitely not get that kind of quality in pennys or dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Anyone who thinks there's an actual difference in quality between high street brands and Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger is either a lunatic or desperate to validate their choices

I have plenty of designer polos/shirts that have faded and mid level stuff that has kept up great

Advertisement